Sign in to follow this  

Bleeding technique for inner cartridge AER dampening leg?

Looking for confirmation on 2 questions for my AER forks

1. On the damping leg after filling the inner chamber with 380ml of oil, is there any specific technique to bleed to air from the chamber when installing the base valve?

2. I purchased a set of pre-owned AER forks which I was told came off a 2017 Husky TC125. The detent in the fork leg looks different than the detent I've seen in the WP servicing videos. Does this detent look normal from a generation 2 AER fork? https://goo.gl/photos/6YmrWPoeWreLFV6t5

380 in the inner cart bleed same as normal slow strokes, set rod about 40mm from bottomed out, insert bv put finger over bleed exhaust and u will extend the rod when the bv is being pushed in. The knotch in the 17 air cart tube is deeper on the 17 tubes compared to the 16 this helps balance pos and neg presure, stops neg presure being to hi. Air cart has 11ml of kluber centroplex ep2 grease in only. 

Edited by karlace

Karlace, this didn't work. If you install the base valve without the damping rod fully extended, then after the base valve installation the damping rod does not fully extend.

Instead, I used this procedure and now the inner cartridge feels as it did prior to disassembly.

I just finished up and it seems I realized what my mistake was. Once you fill the forks with 380cc's, you'll need to stroke the damping rod 10-15 times and then let the forks sit for 20-30 minutes. As it sits, you'll see a consistent stream of bubbles rising to the top. It takes a while for all the air captured behind the mid-valve to rise to the top. Then once everything is settled, you simply leave the dampning rod fully extended and insert the base valve. As the base valve is inserted, you can hear the bypass release the trap air caught between the oil and the base valve.

The damping rod has a firm and full extension and it feels the same as it did prior to disassembly. The entire fork is now assembled and I'm overall very confident it's ready to go.

I'm a wp service and sales centre in the uk, would think I've done  100 sets of these forks, this is the right way to build these forks, u shouldn't of had any issues this way

It's certainly possible that I didn't follow the intent of your instructions. This part wasn't crystal clear "set rod about 40mm from bottomed out, insert bv put finger over bleed exhaust"

Nonetheless, I have it reassembled and functioning well now. Thanks for the input.

Ur sorted now so that's good, sorry if it didn't sound straight forward