Sign in to follow this  

Hours before piston needs doing

Just wondering when the piston might need replacing. Manual says 16hrs just wondering what other people do with theses bikes. Also how many hours do you get out of a complete rebuild? Engine Oil and trans changed every 7hrs

Depends how hard you ride,

for recreational use (even MX), on regular oil changes and valvetrain clearance inspections 

you'll get many hours before a refurb is required. 

If regularly riding at high-rpms / racing then you should stick to the recommended service intervals,

it will cost less than the alternative which is a grenaded engine that takes out even more parts as it fails.

No matter the usage, a clean / freshly oiled air filter is a must to prolong engine life

and, avoiding to overheat the engine in low speed / idling situations.

7 hours on an oil change again depends on the usage,

even I wouldn't push my trail ridden CRF250X's oil much further than that.

Oil is cheap versus engine parts & labor.

Edited by mlatour
  • Like 2

What he said - clean air filters very often and frequent oil changes, and the piston will last a long time.  We have run 2 season on a piston, racing once a month and practicing a lot.  I would consider going longer if we weren't racing.  I change the cam chain with the piston.  The engine failures we have had can not be blamed on high hour pistons.

The best way to tell is to change it when the compression falls off.

• Like 1

Depends how hard you ride,

for recreational use (even MX), on regular oil changes and valvetrain clearance inspections 
you'll get many hours before a refurb is required. 

If regularly riding at high-rpms / racing then you should stick to the recommended service intervals,
it will cost less than the alternative which is a grenaded engine that takes out even more parts as it fails.

No matter the usage, a clean / freshly oiled air filter is a must to prolong engine life
and, avoiding to overheat the engine in low speed / idling situations.

7 hours on an oil change again depends on the usage,
even I wouldn't push my trail ridden CRF250X's oil much further than that.
Oil is cheap versus engine parts & labor.

My daughter uses it to race but not full throttle ( i wish she would lol). I did a full rebuild with genuine honda parts at 240hrs as hour meter didnt work and previous owner didn't know history. Its at 290 now. Should I do oil change in less hours? Like you say oil is cheap compared to a rebuild. Air filter is changed after every ride and even during the day as most of the tracks are sand. Thanks

I'm not really a fan of putting more money the pockets of oil companies so I don't agree with dumping out oil that is still good. The manual calls for replacing the oil every 15 hours. If it brings piece of mind to do it more often then so be it but people aren't having to rebuild motors because they put 15 hours on their oil.

• Like 1

Engine oil doesn't lose its lubrication properties.  It gets contaminated with dirt and fuel, and the viscosity modifiers (things that turn 10 weight to 40 weight, explained to me as tiny snow fences) break down over time.  I go by looks and recent use (dusty race) as much as hours. 

On a CRF, always check the oil before you ride because it can get past the seals into the trans and leave you without oil in the engine.  Happened to us.

• Like 2