Extreme enduro races in the USA

I've been watching extreme enduro races all over the world.. Brazil, Croatia, UK, Italy , Germany and all kinds of other places....

I just was wondering what extreme enduro races are held in the USA? I know of a few but thought there has to be a bunch more but maybe there is just not enough advertising or something.  I figure some might put in whatever extreme enduro race that they know and give information about it. I'm talking extreme enduro now.. not anything that's a wide open race that isn't technical and hard... so this is a list thread with some information about the race.. where it's held.. what kind of race and terrain and maybe stuff like how to enter and other related information.  Blackwater was the old race that was known as a hard race but is no longer many years now.. but a good list of races might be a good thing... so post up extreme enduro races in the United states.

I'll start with one . We have our premier race for our state which is a hare and hound but it really is a hard hard extreme enduro. It's on Kauai.  It's the Kauai Labor Day Hare and hound and been in existence for over 6 decades now if I remember right... 63 yrs?

https://static1.squarespace.com/static/570455d7f699bbb46becc6c5/t/579fc39c197aea2fa0c8389d/1470088108466/?format=1000w

scroll down..

http://www.gimc.us/

here's a promo vid 

a little bit of one race..

Edited by hawaiidirtrider

I give credit to the clubs and the riders that volunteer their time working hard to cut trail and run the race.. to all of them a big Thankyou!!! They work many months.. 

some associated vids ..still sort of promo vids

I've often wondered if there are those type of races here. I'm kinda new to the scene. I think the mainland US could compare to some of the gnarliest Europe has to offer. Even around here, although not the altitude of the Rockies, this area still has terrain the many, or most, riders would never be able to traverse. Around Ohiopyle (the location of Fallingwater, Frank Lloyd Wright's most famous house) is some scary terrain. I imagine, though, that it would take an act of Congress, or God, to get the local gov't to agree to something like that.

Which leads me to another question. Why is the US so prudish when it comes to this type of racing? Imo the Europeans, England and Spain in particular, with the likes of Jarvis, Walker, Gomez, Bolton et al have elevated the sport to a classy and respected form.

• Like 1

Why not the Rockies? The fittest survive. Romainiacs is 4 day race.....Erzberg 500 start, 3-5 finish. The Rockies can be gnarly, but that's going to be more up to the race designer than the terrain on how the course is laid out. There are a number of riders into hare scrambles and the sort, so there's a fan base. 

Why is the US so prudish? Well I imagine you'd have to a private land owner willing to host the race, have a blessing from all the environmental groups, plus get your insurance to agree. Oh then you'd have to find sponsorship and garner interest from the riders. 

• Like 1

You'll m If you expand your search area to North America instead of just the USA You'll learn about the Terra Nova that has been running in Canada for decades. I've not ridden it.

Edit

I just checked the club website (VMC) and it's not on the schedule since 2015, so it may have slipped into history, a pity.

Edited by motovita
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, nyteshades said:

Why not the Rockies? The fittest survive. Romainiacs is 4 day race.....Erzberg 500 start, 3-5 finish. The Rockies can be gnarly, but that's going to be more up to the race designer than the terrain on how the course is laid out. There are a number of riders into hare scrambles and the sort, so there's a fan base. 

Why is the US so prudish? Well I imagine you'd have to a private land owner willing to host the race, have a blessing from all the environmental groups, plus get your insurance to agree. Oh then you'd have to find sponsorship and garner interest from the riders. 

It's easily doable..USA is huge.. just depends where.. Last man standing got sponsored by Redbull ..it got great success.. If Redbull rampage can be done here anything can be done here.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h7fnzGobNGA

• Like 1

6 hours ago, motovita said:

You'll m If you expand your search area to North America instead of just the USA You'll learn about the Terra Nova that has been running in Canada for decades. I've not ridden it.

Edit

I just checked the club website (VMC) and it's not on the schedule since 2015, so it may have slipped into history, a pity.

yea that's cool.. but I'm still thinking USA should have a bunch already . I'm figuring there may be some we just don't know much about.  I know no one knows about Kauai hare and hound. I'm guessing there's more. The rest of the world already has some great races.. but we should have some. I keep thinking pacific northwest should be a great place to have a great extreme enduro race if there isn't one already... but anywhere in the USA ought to be able to make something great..

It all comes down to $$, lots of mx around the nation because that's what Americans are use to and pay money to see. If extreme enduro ever catches a foothold here we will have a boat load.

5 minutes ago, David C said:

It all comes down to $$, lots of mx around the nation because that's what Americans are use to and pay money to see. If extreme enduro ever catches a foothold here we will have a boat load.

I think it would help the sport.. extreme enduro races are modified hard rides that any rider might do on weekends but it's in a race to watch. It's why I like extreme enduro. It's an extension of trail riding. I can't relate to SX as much. ..or even mx even though I respect it. I think endurocross is a modified version of trail riding too in a nice place where one can sit .. watch ..eat and have a beer.. Maybe endurocross to extreme enduro is more like sx is to mx outdoors. It could mean a market of riders all over the country interested in riding trails more and being more involved.. especially if a big extreme enduro race is held. I know I never heard of riding in texas for hard trail riding.. until Last man standing.

• Like 1

So far.. where we at..

Kauai Labor Day Hare and Hounds

Last Dog Standing

Tennessee Knockout Enduro

The Revlimiter extreme enduro

... I gotta go back and look again..

King of the Motos

Wild West hard enduro

Ok 6 to start and I know there's gotta be more

US has them, it's just not hyped, commercialized and promoted like it is in Europe. Plus even people that don't ride show up to watch motorcycle races in Europe with a sense of nationalism rooting for riders from their country. Here bike races are far removed from the population, most don't even realize they exist.

22 minutes ago, highmarker said:

US has them, it's just not hyped, commercialized and promoted like it is in Europe. Plus even people that don't ride show up to watch motorcycle races in Europe with a sense of nationalism rooting for riders from their country. Here bike races are far removed from the population, most don't even realize they exist.

Yea ... It's different .. but still I know there are more races.. Last man standing was pretty popular for it's time.. and TKO seems to have some fans watching in the wings. I'm sure it will be different in different parts of the country too.. USA is pretty huge.