Exhaust valve shim gone

Hi guys I was doin a job for a guy he said it was hard to start so I took it apart and one exhaust valve shim is gone it has the top of the valve that keep the spring down damage, how will I find out what shim to put there now

First you want to find the missing shim!...I just had the same problem with a head I got back from the shop. I checked the clearance before putting it back on and it was missing an exhaust shim...it's easy to knock them out when installing the rocker arm if you're not careful. I found the shim in the pocket in front of the spring.  I'd be really worried if you can't find the shim...don't want that floating around in the crankcase!  FYI...when unsure of what size shim to use just take one from the other side and check the clearance with that shim then adjust accordingly.

26 minutes ago, Berm-Saw said:

I just had this happen. Ran it for about 10 minutes in low rpm before I decided to open it up. Can anything happen to the valve? Sucks when you pay to have it done right and it's still not right.

probably will be ok...might need to clean up the spring retainer (as I did) but the valve should be fine.

16 hours ago, Berm-Saw said:

I just had this happen. Ran it for about 10 minutes in low rpm before I decided to open it up. Can anything happen to the valve? Sucks when you pay to have it done right and it's still not right.

Without the shim there the valve cannot open, So it will be fine!