Jetting

Okay just bought a dyno jet kit, who has experience with these in dr650's anything i should know about before I install it? Best needle settings? Im in Wisconsin, were at 1900 feet so just wondering what the best settings would be, and is there any carb drilling required i've installed a few jet kits on numerous bikes and only one had to be drilled. So just wondering if I will have to do that to the dr also, thanks. Jake

Hello yz400fmaniac,

This is what I did on my 08 dr 650. I have an aftermarket exhaust on mine so I followed the Stage 2 instructions. I cut out part of the air box on the side for more air as I found this to be a must. You can't give it more fuel without more air otherwise it will bog down. Follow the install kit for stage 2 if you have an after market exhaust or Stage 1 if you don't and do not want to cut the air box. Assuming you go Stage 2, place the snapring where the kit calls for it to be and the washer that sits above it. Remove the plug for the fuel mixture screw and set your screw 2.5 turns out. When you screw it in, just screw it in enough until it stops but be gentle, then just go 2.5 turns out. I installed the 170 main jet on mine and my elevation is about 3000 ft at home. I do not believe you would need one smaller than the 170. There are a lot of people that swear by drilling another hole in the slide, I haven't done that and I question it's worth. With these settings, mine is a tank and I have never had any issues with power or being too lean/rich. I have had issues in the past with the idle jet/pilot jet plugging from the ethanol in the fuel. I took it apart again and cleaned all the varnish out of the carb and the jets. That's just fyi for you. 

Hello yz400fmaniac,
This is what I did on my 08 dr 650. I have an aftermarket exhaust on mine so I followed the Stage 2 instructions. I cut out part of the air box on the side for more air as I found this to be a must. You can't give it more fuel without more air otherwise it will bog down. Follow the install kit for stage 2 if you have an after market exhaust or Stage 1 if you don't and do not want to cut the air box. Assuming you go Stage 2, place the snapring where the kit calls for it to be and the washer that sits above it. Remove the plug for the fuel mixture screw and set your screw 2.5 turns out. When you screw it in, just screw it in enough until it stops but be gentle, then just go 2.5 turns out. I installed the 170 main jet on mine and my elevation is about 3000 ft at home. I do not believe you would need one smaller than the 170. There are a lot of people that swear by drilling another hole in the slide, I haven't done that and I question it's worth. With these settings, mine is a tank and I have never had any issues with power or being too lean/rich. I have had issues in the past with the idle jet/pilot jet plugging from the ethanol in the fuel. I took it apart again and cleaned all the varnish out of the carb and the jets. That's just fyi for you. 

Thanks for all the info! I will probably stay with stage 1 as the bike is stock glad to know it makes a difference cant wait to install it
  • Like 1

I was steered away from a dyno jet kit because their jet sizes do not correspond to the stock jet numbers,I am going with either Motolab or MxRob DR jetting.

I installed motolab jetting in mine,couldnt be happier!

Don't use the dynojet kit. Like mentioned before, Derek at motolab or Procycle can set you up way better with something that runs better and lasts way longer.