What 250 4t to get?

Ok so I currently have a 1990 xr200 I've been rocking and racing for about 7 years and I am looking for a bit of an upgrade. I have my heart set on a 4 stroke and a 250 size. Keeping in mind I'm a college student working part time at starbucks minimum wage and am looking to spend no more than $3,000 in the next few months, what would you guys recommend? I ride trail and track but rave trail (hare scrambles mostly) I was thinking a crf250r or xc250f but those are pricey I'm sure. Thanks TT.

On a tight budget without much money to spend I would stick to Yamaha 1st and Honda 2nd myself. They seem to be the most reliable. With a tight budget I would definately be looking at a 2 stroke if I was you though. If you are buying a used bike in that price range more than likely it's going to have some probablems and quite a few hours on it. A $400 dollar 2 stroke rebuild is a lot better than a $2,000 dollar 4 stroke rebuild. 

• Like 4

Dude just skip straight to burning your cash now

• Like 1

Tight budget, want to ride track and trail...  YZ250.  It's not a 4 stroke but when you have a tight set of requirement you have to compromise somewhere.  YZ250s are cheap, reliable, cheap to maintain and can be setup to run well on an MX track or in an Enduro or hare scramble.  I don't think you'll find that it a $3000 used 4-stroke.

Doc

• Like 2

Will you have more income in the future? People are covering it well here. 250fs are nice but if you're going to race and ride aggressively a lot the 250f will eat you alive in $$. Ask how I know.you might be able to afford a 450f, but 2 stroke will be your best bet.its 2 strokes for me from a preference and $$ standpoint now

Ok I know $3,000 isn't a lot for a nice race bike. And I don't need a $12k ktm or anything like that. A few years old is fine and I don't need top of the line stuff. I'm not racing professionally either. I'm in B or C class races in my local district circuits. My current bike is 27 years old, 200cc and over 300 pounds. Almost anything is a step up

Those 250fs are cool, but make sure you know the maintenance costs that are coming your way. Lots of oil changes, followed by semi often valve adjustments, and a pricey ass top end.you could do the top end with stainless valves to minimize maintance and extend top end longetevity next time but will be more $$ and youll lose some power. My 250f's top end was trash at 45hrs, but it was ridden hard, the bike ended up getting traded away. I don't want to to bum you out on a bikes that you want, but just know the $$ you may be signing up for. Do some research. You can of course do whatever you like I just want to give you a heads up. Moderately ridden and well taken care of a yz250f could be ok. 

that ttr-250 would be good, but not up to the performance of the other two(or modern mx250f's)and no way near a 250 2t. BUT, it would be a step up from what you have, and it will be cheap and run forever on a budget.A smart buy you can afford to own.

a 250 2 stroke gives you power for cheap and a performance chassis, all for something you could probably afford to own, but you don't sound too keen on one. 

IF you must have a modern mx 250f a yz250f would be the most solid choice, and the ttr250 would serve you well and affordably for a long time, at the expense of performance.

There are only 2 4 strokes that I can think of that are designed to be 'tweener (track and woods) models and that would be the KTM XC-F line and the YZ-FX line both of which are probably outside your budget.  So you have two choices, get a trail bike and try to make it work on the track or get an MX bike and try to make it work on the trail.  I'd suggest you go with an MX bike because trail bikes like the TTR are going to put you at a serious disadvantage on the track.

Or you could just get a 2-stroke ;)

Doc

Edited by Doc_d
  • Like 1

If you're dead set on a 250f I would suggest maybe saving just a bit longer to pick up a bike from the last few years. For example, I got my '14 yz250f for $3600.

I don't know if you have any manufacturer in mind but the 2011-2013 Kawasakis all fell around your price range too.

Otherwise, I agree with what most above had said, a 250 2 stroke would much better for your budget. 

Either way good luck and let us know what you get!

Keep in mind your current XR200 isn't a good comparative at the maintenance cost and complexity of owning/racing a 250F motocross.

• Like 1

Ok I know $3,000 isn't a lot for a nice race bike. And I don't need a $12k ktm or anything like that. A few years old is fine and I don't need top of the line stuff. I'm not racing professionally either. I'm in B or C class races in my local district circuits. My current bike is 27 years old, 200cc and over 300 pounds. Almost anything is a step up

I always get a kick out of people that post questions and then ignore or argue with what they DON'T want to hear.

Can you afford to buy a bike for 3k and then invest an additional 1-3k into it? A used bike in your price range will almost certainly require some additional money to be brought up to good mechanical condition. Most often it's the chassis bearings and suspension components that need servicing. Then you will get nickle and dimed to death by all the little things. It doesn't matter what class you're riding, when these items are neglected it adversely affects the handling of the machine. What's ok for previous owner Billy Bob screwing around in the field could be dangerous for you on a motocross track.

There is a reason used 2 strokes are in demand and why Yamaha and the Europeans keep making them, and selling out of them! People are tired of spending 3k to rebuild their 4 stroke after it grenades. 250F's are basically a throw away motorcycle after a certain point. Think about it, what sense does it make to buy something 10 years old if total cost could be as much as a new bike if it would happen to break?

For you to preface by saying you don't have alot of money to spend and that your current income is tight, you have demonstrated a considerable naiveness to even entertain the thought of purchasing a 250F. All dirt bikes are money pits, but you stand a better chance of NOT going broke with a 2 stroke.
  • Like 2

Ok to answer a few questions, I will be making more in the future as i get more hours at work but it won't be a lot but enough to maintain a fair few expenses. I really don't want to settle for a 2 stroke as I don't enjoy how jumpy the throttle is and how little power it has on hill climbs. I'm aware this choice will make me spend a bit more down the road but to me it's worth it. At the same time I don't want a top $30k modded race bike that needs a rebuild after every ride. I was thinking of maybe keeping my xr for casual rides and trips and taking this future new bike only for racing or practice? Also I do have a thing for the bikes in red so if you guys had any Honda suggestions? Maybe even just a newer xr250 like an 08. Or an 04 ktm may be cheaper. Any suggestions for 4 stroke price/performance value? Like something that will obviously need more service than my tank of a bike, but nothing overkill as depicted earlier. Thanks for all the thoughtful input and feedback thus far!

1 hour ago, Pardi_Boi24 said:

I really don't want to settle for a 2 stroke as I don't enjoy how jumpy the throttle is and how little power it has on hill climbs. I

You do realize that CC to CC 2 strokes make significantly more power than a 4 stroke right?  If it wasn't for the way MX rules are structured, and 250 4-strokes had to compete against 250 2 strokes, almost no one would be on a 250 4 stroke in a competitive class,. 

I don't really follow MX, but I saw a Canadian MX2 national earlier this year.  The winner was on a KTM 2-stroke, presumably a 150.  I believe he was the only 2 stroke rider in the field. I'm guessing the rules recently changed to allow the 144/150s in the class because they interviewed several of the top 5 finishers behind him and they all whined that he had an unfair advantage on his 150 2-stroke over the 250 4-strokes.

I own both a 4 stroke and a 2 stroke.  So I find it kind of funny you think you'd be "settling" for a YZ250 when the other bikes you are considering are a TTR and an XR.  That would be like saying I'm going to date Roseanne Barr because I don't want to have to settle for Margot Robbie.

But hey, beauty is in the eye of the beholder, so if you want to ride Roseanne Barr around, more power to you.

The biggest reason to get a 4 stroke is because the MX classification rules make it more advantageous.  But that's only true if you are getting a competitive 4 stroke like a fairly recent YZ250F.  If you are looking at racing a TTR or XR tyou'll be at a serious disadvantage anyway.

Doc

Edited by Doc_d
  • Like 5

Please, listen to these guys. You must have ridden someones yz125 to think two strokes arnt torquey and fast on hills. 125s suck in the woods because if you arnt pinning it everywhere you would be faster on a crf100(raced a yz125 in the AWRCS series for two years).

A 250 two stroke you can either lug it or light up the rear tire by twisting that right hand, much more "4-stroke-ish" if you'd want to say. The best thing with your budget without a doubt is a top end is $100 where I jus dropped $400 on my head and that didn't require anything serious on my $4000 yz250f.

You can buy a 2017 250f with 3 hours on it and you could be gambling with needing a top-end. What I'm getting at is a 250 two stroke is perfect on a budget. You can ride them in the track, woods, desert, anywhere and they do good. They're cheap as hell to fix.

I was in that same boat "NEEDING" a 250f mxer because they're "new and fast and easy to ride" but buying one of those money suckers is the cheap part. Go find the nicest 250 two-stroke in your budget, check the piston, and ride the crap out of it. If you do not want a two stroke then keep the xr200 you're not missing out not having a 250f especially in the woods where you will not be using any of its horsepower unless you are an A+ racer.

Just my .02 coming from someone that "needed" a 250f.

• Like 2

I got a 2006 crf250r I paid only 2k for it it was all stock and never raced it looked almost brand new I've had it for about 6 months now and haven't had an issue with it I just keep fresh oil in it and keep the air filter clean which is a must for a 250 4t but I love it and wouldn't have anything else except for a brand new one I have ridden a few other 250s but their just not the same as mine but everyone is different but I just love my old honda.20170312_180538.jpg

I don't race either but it makes a great trail bike since that's all I use it for

• Like 1

On 6/13/2017 at 11:59 AM, Pardi_Boi24 said:

Ok to answer a few questions, I will be making more in the future as i get more hours at work but it won't be a lot but enough to maintain a fair few expenses. I really don't want to settle for a 2 stroke as I don't enjoy how jumpy the throttle is and how little power it has on hill climbs. I'm aware this choice will make me spend a bit more down the road but to me it's worth it. At the same time I don't want a top $30k modded race bike that needs a rebuild after every ride. I was thinking of maybe keeping my xr for casual rides and trips and taking this future new bike only for racing or practice? Also I do have a thing for the bikes in red so if you guys had any Honda suggestions? Maybe even just a newer xr250 like an 08. Or an 04 ktm may be cheaper. Any suggestions for 4 stroke price/performance value? Like something that will obviously need more service than my tank of a bike, but nothing overkill as depicted earlier. Thanks for all the thoughtful input and feedback thus far!

I've climbed hills on my 125 that 250F's couldn't make. Not due to power. Due to a little thought process and not just twisting the throttle like a deranged orangutan. Learn to ride a 125 or even a 250 2 stroke correctly and you may have more fun. If your using the "new to you" bike for racing... I'm another that thinks a used 250F for racing is a doomed idea for your checking account.

My .02.

On 6/13/2017 at 8:01 AM, ohiodrz400sm said:

I always get a kick out of people that post questions and then ignore or argue with what they DON'T want to hear.

Can you afford to buy a bike for 3k and then invest an additional 1-3k into it? A used bike in your price range will almost certainly require some additional money to be brought up to good mechanical condition. Most often it's the chassis bearings and suspension components that need servicing. Then you will get nickle and dimed to death by all the little things. It doesn't matter what class you're riding, when these items are neglected it adversely affects the handling of the machine. What's ok for previous owner Billy Bob screwing around in the field could be dangerous for you on a motocross track.

There is a reason used 2 strokes are in demand and why Yamaha and the Europeans keep making them, and selling out of them! People are tired of spending 3k to rebuild their 4 stroke after it grenades. 250F's are basically a throw away motorcycle after a certain point. Think about it, what sense does it make to buy something 10 years old if total cost could be as much as a new bike if it would happen to break?

For you to preface by saying you don't have alot of money to spend and that your current income is tight, you have demonstrated a considerable naiveness to even entertain the thought of purchasing a 250F. All dirt bikes are money pits, but you stand a better chance of NOT going broke with a 2 stroke.

OP, you really need to read this, read it again, and do what he's saying.

Buying a $3000 250F is going to come back to bite you in the ass.

Since you like Honda's, a Honda CRF250X is a good choice.  They are pretty reliable and can be found in your price range.  I suggest you search for one that has very low hours.  They need to be opened up (airbox mod, remove exhaust baffle, get rid of smog equipment) to be fast but that can be done easily yourself.  Yes, 250F's will cost more than a two stroke over time but a 250X is reasonably reliable.  If you ride every week for 3 hours you need to budget about $175 a month for repairs and maintenance.  I maintain 2 bikes and I race.  I budget $300 a month and over the year it works out pretty good.  One bike is a 250F (my sons) and I have been on a 300 two stroke now just bought a KTM 350.  Hopefully the 350 doesn't blow my budget.  We will see.  Good luck and enjoy.  Oh, and as long as you buy a bike for the right price, you can always sell it for break even if you decide to.

One more thing.  I bought my sons 2013 KX250F less than a year ago for $3,000.  It was a low hour bike and all it has needed after about 50 hours is a valve adjustment, tires, air filter cleanings and oil changes.  Don't believe the naysayers that a 250F is a money pit.  If you buy a good bike you will be fine on about $150 to $200 a month in maintenance and repairs.

Edited by 4Sevens
  • Like 1