Should i buy a Honda cr80 1981

Im planning to buy a Honda cr80 1981 this tuesday,

but im a bit worried because its an old bike, if needed i can replace the parts but i live in holland so its pretty hard to get parts for a honda of 1981. so my question was can i use newer parts on this honda, so if something is not good i can replace it with newer parts that are easier to get.

Im also buying this honda for 500 euro (keep in mind i live in holland), do you guys think its an overpay or not? my budget is 500 euro's.

Thanks!

Edited by Racer1290

1 hour ago, William1 said:

You will have parts issues on a 36 year old bike. Save your money and get something less than 10 years old

Can i not replace the Parts with newer? Because here in Holland a Honda cr80 of 2001 is around 3k (used) while My budget is 500 so i cant pay that.

In the USA, the price you are considering is about average. So that is OK. But..... if you are actually going to be riding (and not restoring to keep in your collection) then you are going to need a supply of parts. Pistons, barrels, reeds, hubs, forks, seats, fuel tanks, plastics, ect. If you cannot readily get them, then it makes no sense to buy an inexpensive bike that once it needs servicing, you cannot service due to a lack of parts.

1 minute ago, William1 said:

In the USA, the price you are considering is about average. So that is OK. But..... if you are actually going to be riding (and not restoring to keep in your collection) then you are going to need a supply of parts. Pistons, barrels, reeds, hubs, forks, seats, fuel tanks, plastics, ect. If you cannot readily get them, then it makes no sense to buy an inexpensive bike that once it needs servicing, you cannot service due to a lack of parts.

I get that, but My question is: can i use parts of for instance a Honda Bike of 1995 or something? So if a part of my engine dies i can buy a new part of a newer Honda Bike (the parts are not a problem i can get them, i have around 600/700 but im using 500 in a Bike and the rest for parts)

2 minutes ago, Racer1290 said:

I get that, but My question is: can i use parts of for instance a Honda Bike of 1995 or something? So if a part of my engine dies i can buy a new part of a newer Honda Bike (the parts are not a problem i can get them, i have around 600/700 but im using 500 in a Bike and the rest for parts)

You'd want to do a Google search of say your cylinder part number. Google will return all the machines that use the same part number and its' availability.

Some parts are interchangeable though only a person really involved with a bike like you are talking about could tell what parts are interchangeable (but not identified as such). In some cases, slight modifications are needed to make parts not specifically made for a particular machine work. The point being is it may be a lot more effort to try and run a 36 year old bike than it is worth. I have a 1974 Yamaha DT100 in my garage. I ride it a little, but not enough to cause any real wear. Parts are hard to get and some, I have had to make myself. I'd never use the bike for 'real riding'. For that, I use another old bike, a 2008.

3 minutes ago, William1 said:

You'd want to do a Google search of say your cylinder part number. Google will return all the machines that use the same part number and its' availability.

Some parts are interchangeable though only a person really involved with a bike like you are talking about could tell what parts are interchangeable (but not identified as such). In some cases, slight modifications are needed to make parts not specifically made for a particular machine work. The point being is it may be a lot more effort to try and run a 36 year old bike than it is worth. I have a 1974 Yamaha DT100 in my garage. I ride it a little, but not enough to cause any real wear. Parts are hard to get and some, I have had to make myself. I'd never use the bike for 'real riding'. For that, I use another old bike, a 2008.

Do you know where i can find the number? Because i havent got the Bike yet

5 minutes ago, William1 said:

And do you know a Bike around 500 euro that is good at this time? I can get a Chinese Orion one but im not a fan of Chinese bikes

28 minutes ago, Racer1290 said:

Do you know where i can find the number? Because i havent got the Bike yet

Online parts fiche (listing) plenty of online (like theTT store) have them. They also often tell you if the aprt is no longer available, then you need to speak to a guy that has the same bike and ask them what he does for replacing certain parts. To be honest, if you plan to ride, it is way more trouble than it is worth and you could very easily have a bike worth nothing because it broke and a part is not available to fix it.

25 minutes ago, Racer1290 said:

And do you know a Bike around 500 euro that is good at this time? I can get a Chinese Orion one but im not a fan of Chinese bikes

Buying cheap, you will get cheap. A recent model cheap bike is either seriously broken or cheaply made and will soon break. You get what you pay for.

• Like 1

you wont get parts for it - and if you do happen to find any they will be very rare and the price plus people wanting the same part, you will go broke very quickly.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, michaelchristie207 said:

Buy a newer bike. You will some more money on parts than the bikes worth 

Only if i had the money for the new Bike, but thats the problem i dont

I want a 50,000 square foot home and a run way for landing a private jet on it.

I've got a 4,000 square foot home and a gravel drive way. I am lucky to have that.

If you cannot afford to buy a bike, then buying a really inexpensive one will not save you a dime. I could put a 46,000 square foot addition on, buy a few thousand acres of land and pave a runway. But I do not have the money for it. So it is simply not going to happen.

22 minutes ago, William1 said:

I've got a 4,000 square foot home and a gravel drive way. I am lucky to have that.

If you cannot afford to buy a bike, then buying a really inexpensive one will not save you a dime. I could put a 46,000 square foot addition on, buy a few thousand acres of land and pave a runway. But I do not have the money for it. So it is simply not going to happen.

Not my problem u don't have enough money I'm just saying a 1981 2-stroke will cost so much money it's worth it just saving up or buying a xr80 or something 

Can i not replace the Parts with newer? Because here in Holland a Honda cr80 of 2001 is around 3k (used) while My budget is 500 so i cant pay that.

A 2001 was only 2700 euro new. We have idiots over here too that ask for unrealistic sales prices. I suggest you keep looking.

The 81 is an old air-cooled engine. None of the more recent CR parts will work.

2 hours ago, michaelchristie207 said:

Not my problem u don't have enough money I'm just saying a 1981 2-stroke will cost so much money it's worth it just saving up or buying a xr80 or something 

So you do Think i should buy it?

On 11-6-2017 at 9:02 PM, Racer1290 said:

Im planning to buy a Honda cr80 1981 this tuesday,

but im a bit worried because its an old bike, if needed i can replace the parts but i live in holland so its pretty hard to get parts for a honda of 1981. so my question was can i use newer parts on this honda, so if something is not good i can replace it with newer parts that are easier to get.

Im also buying this honda for 500 euro (keep in mind i live in holland), do you guys think its an overpay or not? my budget is 500 euro's.

Thanks!

For all the people That commented, thanks! But when i will buy it (im not sure) im trying My best to keep it for use, when im gonna ride the Bike its on Straight Sandways and maybe sometimes a little Hill but im not going to stunt or do something with it that is not good for the Bike. And i know, a Dirt Bike is used for hills etc, but thanks to all of you guys i found out that its also a pretty good investment overtime, im thinking about painting it and fixing it all up. I am gonna ride it like 3 times a week for around 2/3 hours on Straight sandways, and im probably gonna stand still and idle it for Sometime because all My friends got minibikes that always turn off after 1 hour driving xD.

So does your guys opinion change a bit if i said all this? Ride it 3 times a week and putting as much time in to fix something if something is wrong.

3 hours ago, William1 said:

For the finche or aomething you send me to find a code, you was right it is a bit hard to find but Some parts i can buy in the netherlands

http://www.leertouwer.com/default.asp?id=21&artnr=23221-166-601&returnURL=id=20||cid=21||page=19||ps=20||pg=2

and like the center clutch i can buy on amazon, but do you Think its Too much to pay 70 euro's for a countershaft, trans?

What people are trying to tell you but you are not listening to nor understanding:

If you spend $500 on the bike,

you will quickly need more than the $100-200 you set aside for parts (things are going to break fast and often on an old bike),

the end result = you will have $0 and a bike you can't ride - this is not where you want to end up.

People just don't want to see you broke and no bike.

• Like 1