New to forums! Getting back into dirt biking

Hey guys! I'm 20 years old and haven't ridden a dirtbike in 2 years. I sold my last one for a four wheeler and a trailer (laugh all you want, it's for farm work and very handy) but I've been riding street bikes the whole time during that gap (boring to me lol)

Anyways I now have the means to get a new (or relatively new) dirtbike, and I see the new crf450rx. I don't want the 2018 model because I want the kickstart backup and the 2018 models took that away. The downside to the RX model is price, MSRP is not much more than the R model, but here the 17 R models are $1200 cheaper than the RX. The 2016 model (new, but didn't sell) is $6300 here. Is the 17 R model worth the $8000? Is the RX worth $9200? I was looking at KTM's but when I went to the local dealer they didn't take me seriously so I just walked out. Both Honda dealers near me treated me like a friend, so I know if there's a problem I can trust them, and I don't want to deal with bad dealers. 

My riding is mostly trails (I ride on friends woodlands) and I plan on getting back into racing but not too often, maybe once a month, sometimes twice, and it will also be a yard vehicle (to quickly go from one side to the other to tell someone something or to go grab a tool or chase coons and coyotes away)

I was looking at older bikes but now that I have the funding for a new bike with my current job I think I'd like a new bike for once, get the benefits of modern suspension and stuff. 

So basically I'm just wondering your guy's thoughts on 2016 vs 2017 and R vs RX. I know the 17 RX is best for my riding style (mostly trails and stuff) but is it worth the extra $2500 ish over the 16 R model? I'd do most of my own maintenance except for valves. 

Big difference between 2017 and the few years prior. I'll speak from the R (vs RX) cause that's what I have.

2017:
Power: Bottom to mid power like nobody's business. Hit's like a "raped ape" on the bottom. Took me a bit to get use to it coming off a 2015 CRF250R and being a new rider but now I wouldn't do without it. A trails guy may not like that too much. My understanding is that the RX has different mappings so... The only time I hit the rev limiter is in the air when adjusting the pitch of the bike - LoL.

Suspension: is a bit on the "softish" side, forks and shock. If your light (170ish lbs), seems like most guys think stock suspension is pretty darn good. I'm a bit heavier at 195 (need to drop 12 lbs to get back to where I was about 6 moths ago) so I bumped up a spring rate front and back - that fixed most my qualms about the suspension. To me it seems to blow through the top of the stroke too fast but then what should I be expecting when I case an MX jump. I increased the oil level in the forks to fix the bottoming issue I was having. It does take corners and take ruts nicely. My 250 had the SFF TACs - I don't miss having to constantly check three different air pressures but I do miss the adjustability. The local suspension tuners don't seem to have the this bike figured out yet; maybe the big shops do. I'm waiting until people get some experience with this suspension and then I may eventually have mine revalved. For now it is really not bad. SAG: This bike likes sag around 106-108. I ran around 100 on my 250. When I tried less than 106 on the 450 it was a nightmare. Don't raise the forks in the triple clamps either (OK I did but only 1mm or so which seems meaningless but it was enough to make a big difference in handling). Look at what racer-X "dialed in" or MXA says about the suspension settings and you will hear the same input.

Starting: a little finicky when cold but when warm starts with 1st kick all the time. They made the starter standard on the R for 2018 and like you I want the kick starter. My understanding is that you can add it back. For those that want the E start, that is good news as it only added a couple hundred to the MSRP of the R but to add it afterwards on the 17 was far more expensive.

The R is a bit easy to stall if you let the RPMs get low. Several articles recommended gearing down as a fix. I added a tooth to the rear sprocket and that fixed it for me.

Clutch: I still don't have a handle on that yet. I just never seem to get it adjusted right. I'll call it dodgey. I think the throw just feels too long and resistance is too weak. One the write-ups says to replace the judder spring/plate with a regular clutch disk along with stiffer springs and I'm going to give that a try.

Parts: still not a lot of aftermarket parts available for the bike. Even the OEM parts can have long waits (backordered).

2016:

Power: A buddy of mine has a 2016. We trade bikes occasionally. Last time I rode his I felt like I had to short-shift it instantly. It's bottom end power is just OKish, has almost no mid. After two laps at the track I was waving him down because I wanted mine back.

Suspension: It corner's and rides decently but it is sooooo harsh on big landings and sharp edges. Seems like the fixes from what I read and hear are revalve or completely different forks and shock.

Value: now that the new model is out for 17 and let alone 18, it has/will de-value the prior years.

For me, the 17 and newer would be worth the money. I'm surprised at the delta you are seeing between the R/RX. Seems like the only items that would change the cost is bigger gas tank, 18" rear wheel and kick starter. 

There are a couple threads in the Make/Model specific section on the R/RX. You should read through them.

Wow that's exactly what I needed to know. 17 R model it is! I can gear it down for the trails if necessary but I usually keep pretty good momentum so I'll see if it's an issue before I spend more money on it. I'm 210 pounds, I already knew that I'd need to adjust suspension lol, I'm just bigger than the average rider.

also the RX uses a bigger tank but its plastic vs the R model's titanium tank, I think the plastic would be cheaper. 

Also not worried about depreciation too much, I plan on keeping this bike a long time (I usually buy 5-10 year old bikes, so if I buy new I'll probably keep it 5-10 years, maybe more) And adding mods to keep it up to date. And by the time I have this bike for 10 years if I do keep it that long, I'll probably be ending my racing days and could put some money into making it a more dedicated trail bike.

Edited by IowaWrench

23 hours ago, IowaWrench said:

Wow that's exactly what I needed to know. 17 R model it is! I can gear it down for the trails if necessary but I usually keep pretty good momentum so I'll see if it's an issue before I spend more money on it. I'm 210 pounds, I already knew that I'd need to adjust suspension lol, I'm just bigger than the average rider.

also the RX uses a bigger tank but its plastic vs the R model's titanium tank, I think the plastic would be cheaper. 

Also not worried about depreciation too much, I plan on keeping this bike a long time (I usually buy 5-10 year old bikes, so if I buy new I'll probably keep it 5-10 years, maybe more) And adding mods to keep it up to date. And by the time I have this bike for 10 years if I do keep it that long, I'll probably be ending my racing days and could put some money into making it a more dedicated trail bike.

If you plan on racing motocross only get the R, If you plan on doing majority of trail riding and a little motocross get the RX! It's much easier to turn a motocross bike into a trail weapon as opposed to transforming a trail bike into a machine that rips on the track. A true trail bike is underpowered, geared too short and equipped with really soft suspension which is good if you plan to ride trails alot. The RX is basically a motocross bike with a few upgrades to make it more trail worthy! a 18 inch rear wheel is a definite must on a trail bike, Makes it so much better for riding. 

Edited by ThrustWasher

1 hour ago, ThrustWasher said:

If you plan on racing motocross only get the R, If you plan on doing majority of trail riding and a little motocross get the RX! It's much easier to turn a motocross bike into a trail weapon as opposed to transforming a trail bike into a machine that rips on the track. A true trail bike is underpowered, geared too short and equipped with really soft suspension which is good if you plan to ride trails alot. The RX is basically a motocross bike with a few upgrades to make it more trail worthy! a 18 inch rear wheel is a definite must on a trail bike, Makes it so much better for riding. 

Okay, what about the price difference? I think I can get an 18" rear wheel for less than $1200 lol (the price difference locally) 

But what if I ride SOME trails, and SOME motocross? It's always "all motocross get the R, almost all trails and occasional motocross get RX" but there's hardly anything I've found for some of each, not more of one or the other, which is kinda what I want to do. If the price delta was only a couple or few hundred bucks then I'd get the RX, it's just the huge price difference making me wonder if the RX is worth it with my local prices. Is it worth 1200 extra? 

1 hour ago, IowaWrench said:

Okay, what about the price difference? I think I can get an 18" rear wheel for less than $1200 lol (the price difference locally) 

But what if I ride SOME trails, and SOME motocross? It's always "all motocross get the R, almost all trails and occasional motocross get RX" but there's hardly anything I've found for some of each, not more of one or the other, which is kinda what I want to do. If the price delta was only a couple or few hundred bucks then I'd get the RX, it's just the huge price difference making me wonder if the RX is worth it with my local prices. Is it worth 1200 extra? 

You do realize the RX comes with electric start right? Its more than just a rear wheel! The RX is a motocross bike basically except it has a kickstand and a 18 inch rear wheel!

On 6/14/2017 at 5:53 PM, ThrustWasher said:

You do realize the RX comes with electric start right? Its more than just a rear wheel! The RX is a motocross bike basically except it has a kickstand and a 18 inch rear wheel!

I am aware of that however I'm happy kicking it, I'm pretty sold on the R model, RX might resell better but I'll probably keep whatever bike I have for 6-10 years, putting a little money in it each year to keep it up to speed. I figure by the time I sell whichever bike I get it'll be around 3 grand ish, maybe $2500. 

I would get the RX if it was the same price, but unfortunately it's around $1300 more expensive. For the money I saved I can afford a new 18" wheel and tire, Fmf exhaust, handguards, different seat if I want one, and still have money leftover. I wanted to know if the RX was worth the extra price, but since the dealer lowered the price of the 17 R models, I'm gonna get one of those (as soon as the 18's come out so I'll get even more savings lol)

I am aware of that however I'm happy kicking it, I'm pretty sold on the R model, RX might resell better but I'll probably keep whatever bike I have for 6-10 years, putting a little money in it each year to keep it up to speed. I figure by the time I sell whichever bike I get it'll be around 3 grand ish, maybe $2500. 
I would get the RX if it was the same price, but unfortunately it's around $1300 more expensive. For the money I saved I can afford a new 18" wheel and tire, Fmf exhaust, handguards, different seat if I want one, and still have money leftover. I wanted to know if the RX was worth the extra price, but since the dealer lowered the price of the 17 R models, I'm gonna get one of those (as soon as the 18's come out so I'll get even more savings lol)

Its your money and your decision, the choice is ultimately yours bro. But i have a crf450r and it absolutely sucks for tight trail riding.

1 hour ago, ThrustWasher said:

Its your money and your decision, the choice is ultimately yours bro. But i have a crf450r and it absolutely sucks for tight trail riding.

If you can FIND tight trail riding in Iowa, you let me know lol. Most of the trails I ride are pretty fast paced (3rd gear and higher) except for a few tight spots. Not ohv trails, skinnier than that, just there's not a lot of tight turns. Seriously though, I want to try tight trail riding but I've never found anyplace with anything technical in Iowa.