DR-Z400S No spark

Alright Im in serious need of help.

In March I upgraded the oem stator to a https://procycle.us/ 200W stator for my 2006 DR-Z400S. Everything worked great, and weather was shit so i rode it on a few short trips around town for whatever reason and then i parked it in my garage for a month. Went to go start it in the middle of april and nothing. Turns over and doesnt fire, which has never been a problem till now. So i looked up a few things online and bought a new spark plug. Changed it out and still it just turns over, so i took the spark plug out to test the spark against the case and watched it spark once then nothing. At this point im pissed and tired of working on it so i called a mobile bike mechanic. After inspecting the stator i installed we found the starter gear had rubbed all the stator wires leaving the case worn through because there was too much wire inside and it ruined it. Needed to be repaired or to replace it. The mechanic came and installed a new ricky stator for me and still not a single spark. Coil tested fine and that left him under the impression it was the CDI. So i purchased a used one on ebay, nope, so i bought the blackbox aftermarket one, and nope. Mechanic spent almost 5 hours on it Wed and everyone of the CDI's give different readings, but i dont know if any of them are good, because i still have no F#%$ING spark. 

Season for western wa i here and my pos is not working. Any help would be AMAZING!!

Doubt it had been the CDI. You should of contacted Ricky Stator, he'd of given you testing procedures. He sells good products.

Most common issues are the crank position sensor installed wrong or the wires at the plug that go into tjhe CDI reversed.

BTW, there is no such thing as an 'upgraded' stator. All are 200 watt.

• Like 2

Well now I feel even better! Should of stuck to "ain't broke don't fix it".

I had my mechanic install it so I confident he knew the procedure. Ok so the resistance goes from .05ohms to .30 ohms when the key is turned on which makes me think one of the wires in the harness burned in the clear creating a grnd or lack of ground.

• 3 weeks later...

Anyone know why my spark happens only when I turn the key or hit the kill switch, but nothing when I try turning it over.

Ive replaced the coil, stator, and bought a new cdi (blackbox), took the wiring harness out checked it all wires (good). I'm a a loss, saw on another thread there was something about hooking up the black box and disconnecting the wire but I have no idea. 

Thanks in advance, really would like to be riding soon

Before we jump ahead, why did you originally replace the coil, stator and CDI? What led up to this? What is/was the source of the replacement parts? OEM brand new?

Which model and year DRZ? Fully stock or modified? Original owner since new?

Edit:

Please do not post the same question. I've merged the two threads.

Originally everything worked, my battery was a featherlight lithium but due to incorrect trickle charging it would do one ride. So I replaced the battery with a stock one, and replaced the stator to a high output. Ran good for 3-5 short rides, sat for a month then no spark. New stator wires were too long in the case and the starter gear wore through all 4 that run up to the cdi. Replaced the coil, and bought another stator (Ricky), and blackbox aftermarket cdi.

You have some other issue. LiFe battery would be fine, your bike should recharge it completely after a ten minute ride. Did you ever do the 'free power' mod? Check the connector from the reg/rect to the main harness (blk/red wires). That connector often goes bad as well as an internal multi junction spot in the harness. Another fail point is at the fuse (corrosion).

• Like 1

4 hours ago, xzsft said:

Anyone know why my spark happens only when I turn the key or hit the kill switch, but nothing when I try turning it over.

Ive replaced the coil, stator, and bought a new cdi (blackbox), took the wiring harness out checked it all wires (good). I'm a a loss, saw on another thread there was something about hooking up the black box and disconnecting the wire but I have no idea. 

Thanks in advance, really would like to be riding soon

That sounds like a wiring problem to me. If you broke the big down so you could see all the wires, sounds like something that would be obvious. Like a short or open circuit. And when  you press whatever button you press its giving it a little ground to complete the circuit.

If the bike ran fine before and you didn't mess with it. I would go over EVERYTHING you did to it or PO did to it aswell. 9 out of 10 you'll find your problem. Most people dont want to do that and end up chasing there tail.

Otherwise I could go over the entire system needed for the bike to spark and test everything to find your problem.

Assuming the battery is sufficient to crank the motor over at a normal speed, you can forget about battery and charging problems for now.

There has never been a confirmed failure of an original CDI.  Reinstall the original CDI.

Spark coils very seldom go bad. Reinstall the original coil.

That leaves the stator as the prime suspect.  You did not say why the original stator was replaced (I assume it was bad somehow).  The first replacement worked then failed due to poor installation. The second replacement I can't say what is going on.  Did it ever run with the second replacement? Ricky stators are generally reliable so I can't say if you have a defective unit or a poor instal.  Double check the simple stuff.  Verify 12 volts on the orange with white stripe wire at the CDI.  The side-stand interlock wire (green wire) in the lager CDI plug is grounded.