Old trail bike set up for vintage mx

Hello I was wondering if a 1992 Suzuki dr250 would be good to set up for vintage racing or just to ride on motocross practice days. Obviously I will have to stiffen the suspension a little and probably remove the lights(only have headlight and tail light) but what else could I do, I don't have the money to buy an actual race bike right now but I want to try out riding on a track to see if I would like it enough to later on buy a race bike. Any help would be great and thanks for your time

1 hour ago, Xm88 said:

Hello I was wondering if a 1992 Suzuki dr250 would be good to set up for vintage racing or just to ride on motocross practice days. Obviously I will have to stiffen the suspension a little and probably remove the lights(only have headlight and tail light) but what else could I do, I don't have the money to buy an actual race bike right now but I want to try out riding on a track to see if I would like it enough to later on buy a race bike. Any help would be great and thanks for your time

Not necessarily "good", but doable. You probably wouldn't have to remove the headlight, but if the taillight protrudes out, the track will probably require you to remove it as a danger to other riders.

Stiffen the suspension and go slow and see how it does. The settings will change how it is, and it might not do great through whoops. And you might die if you try jumps, but hey, live a little.

• Like 1

Depends what you expect out of it...and what track you'll be on. Turn style tracks with minimal jumps, you'll be fine and have a blast. Trying to clear doubles? Ehh probably not. It could have the beater car thing going, where even though it's far from the best thing for the job, it's super fun. Just go out and ride

Yeah I will probably have to take off the rear light and I probably won't be try to clear any jumps just yet but theres this one place that has an intermediate track that has at most to small doubles and a very small whoop section. Its designed for the riders who don't compete on a regular basis and they don't allow any actual MX racers to ride on that track. It's sounds like fun for sure

3 hours ago, Xm88 said:

In hindsight when I wrote that I wasn't really thinking

You are going to fit in very well here on TT!

• Like 4

6 hours ago, Still Bill said:

1992 is Vintage?  Where I race it is pre-1975.

I was thinking the same thing. When I think vintage, twin shock, drum brakes come to mind. Maybe a 20+ year old bike class?

I was thinking the same thing. When I think vintage, twin shock, drum brakes come to mind. Maybe a 20+ year old bike class?

we call that pre modern here
  • Like 1

or call it post-vintage...geeze...who cares?

You will have a blast. A friend talked me into taking my plated off-road bike (CRF450X) and trying a Vintage race track that was being set up for a race. Was great...no dangerous jumps...lot's of fun...

I have since bought and restored an '83 CR250R to race in one of the "post-Vintage" classes. I thought it would be an easier transition and more fun (for me) than riding a "Vintage" twin-shocker.

Your '92 would run in a "Modern Support" class at our races.

As a novice racer, the bike doesnt matter as much....its about having fun and meeting great people....

• Like 2

A 92 DR250 may only be 25 years old but the technology they used was 20 years old when they made it!  It would be equivalent to a 70's MX bike on track.

I admit, I had to find a pic to know what a '92 DR250 looks like. Great looking bike. Looks very capable for Intermediate and Vintage tracks. Stiffen the clickers! You'll have a blast. Would look good with front number plate instead of headlight for the track...IMG_2013.JPG

Yeah I didn't know what it existed until I bought it lol, but I do agree it is a nice looking bike. I thought about getting some RM/rmz plastic and putting on, specifically the rear fender and now that you mentioned it a number plate. Currently this is what mine looks like

IMG_20170613_183254296.jpg

1497393721147-1574767020.jpg

• Like 1

Your story reminds me of a bit ago, I had an old 85 clapped out xr250. I was just out of high school and my friend just got himself a bike too. We went riding the trails and we're having a good time. We rode up to the "vintage" mx track, near the truck. I said ahh il ride that next time, thinking man this thing might kinda suck on there. I was wrong, I went for it and it was a blast. I could wring that bike, and it remains burned in my brain as one of the best rides. Almost dragging bars in the soil.I definately hit the track on it everytime I rode it after that. 

Edited by RawbW
  • Like 1