Downgrading a 300 exc to a 250 exc?

Recently picked up a 2013 300 exc (xc-w) for a good price, I was originally hoping to get a 200/250 but the 300 was a good price so picked it up.

I have put approx 4 hours on it and the low down torque is making me always ride a gear higher and barely ever riding the pipe, I know I definitely did not need the extra power (previous bike 250 2008) and now I feel like I have less fun riding this bike compared to my old as I can't open it up as much as my 250.
I do not race so being super fast is not important, I ride to have fun and being able to open the bike up is fun compared to having to ride a gear higher all the time lugging it about!

Has anyone done anything similar? 
Is it as simple as putting a 250 barrel on my bike? 
Will I have to change anything in regards to jetting?

I know the obvious answer is to sell the 300 and buy a 250.. I hate buying/selling bikes and I like everything else on the bike and I got it at a decent price.

• Like 1

Recently picked up a 2013 300 exc (xc-w) for a good price, I was originally hoping to get a 200/250 but the 300 was a good price so picked it up.

I have put approx 4 hours on it and the low down torque is making me always ride a gear higher and barely ever riding the pipe, I know I definitely did not need the extra power (previous bike 250 2008) and now I feel like I have less fun riding this bike compared to my old as I can't open it up as much as my 250.
I do not race so being super fast is not important, I ride to have fun and being able to open the bike up is fun compared to having to ride a gear higher all the time lugging it about!

I know the obvious answer is to sell the 300 and buy a 250.. I hate buying/selling bikes and I like everything else on the bike and I got it at a decent price.

Piston, rings, cylinder, head and CDI.
I personally like my 250 much more than the several well dialed 300's I've ridden.

Just buy a complete 250 top end/ cylinder and all and bolt it on. Sell the 300 cylinder and recoup most of the cost. It is done the other way around all the time.

Joe

• Like 2

2 hours ago, CarmanCRF said:

a 250 and 300 have the same power but the 250 makes more top end power and less low end. a 250 is no slower though

Explain to me how 50cc less, produces the same "power".  Or at least explain what you mean by power.

Joe

Regardless of how much I "tune" the 300 it will never be a 250, I much prefer the power of a 250 compared to the 300 so I think I will definitely be changing.

Is the 250 CDI required or do I just need piston/cylinder/head?

I don't think the CDI swap is required .... but.. you can make a 300 into a "same as factory" 250 with the complete swap. I think there's a kit from KTM with all the parts. 

8 hours ago, Munch1 said:

Regardless of how much I "tune" the 300 it will never be a 250, I much prefer the power of a 250 compared to the 300 so I think I will definitely be changing.

Is the 250 CDI required or do I just need piston/cylinder/head?

the smaller the cc on a 2stroke the more "snappy" or responsive the power. 300 Think torque...

I ended up buying a ktm 200! Best decision ever, much more ridable at my skill level.. cheers all

• Like 2

On 6/11/2017 at 5:44 PM, Munch1 said:

I've got a buddy that has a 250 top end he's ready to sell. Cylinder, head, powervalve. You could run it as is but to be on the safe side I'm going to say it needs to be replated. I think he wants a 2 or 250 for it. Let me know if you're interestested let me know. 

4 hours ago, Munch1 said:

I ended up buying a ktm 200! Best decision ever, much more ridable at my skill level.. cheers all

A well setup 200 is a WEAPON man. They can run real strong if you want them to. 

• Like 1

On ‎7‎/‎10‎/‎2017 at 5:32 PM, Munch1 said:

What did you do with the 300?