2017 KTM 500 exc-f airbox mod quesition

I tried searching today for a few hours.  Read it before but cant find the answer now that I need it. 

I had the Reed cage removed from my air cage IMG_4326.thumb.JPG.1b206b77a6ae2a8663d89f7b384ac438.JPG  

Had the bike at the dealer for suspension change and fuel tank (part of purchase agreement).  Took the air filter off today and found the metal screen on the Air filter cage. IMG_4318.thumb.JPG.a2d3eba06e53ae87c4869157ed50331c.JPG

The bike didn't have the screen when I bought it and didn't have it when I took it in for the springs and tank. Is there any reason why I the dealer would feel the need to install a cage with a screen?  they didn't service the air filter.  Not sure what the deal is and if the screen is needed or not. This is what I got when

My understanding is it's in case of a backfire it will save the filter from damage.

some people run fire resistant air filters so they remove the screen - supposedly to gain better air flow and HP increase (yeah right)

but without the fire resistant foam a backfire could burn your bike to the ground

did you ring the shop back and ask ?

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, S.O.A.N.Z said:

some people run fire resistant air filters so they remove the screen - supposedly to gain better air flow and HP increase (yeah right)

but without the fire resistant foam a backfire could burn your bike to the ground

did you ring the shop back and ask ?

IM running twin air filter, and I found the filter screen this morning, the shop was closed until tuesday. I don't want to call or email  them and seem like a pain. so I figured Id look here and ask when I didn't find it. 

Edited by xrbrp

17 minutes ago, Airboss/oc said:

keep the screen !

Will do. Thanks.