what year engine(s) can fit in a 1999 cr125?

hey guys, i am new to bikes and have been searching in the shadows but would like to become a member of the community.

right now i have a cr125, both 1993 and 1999. they both are in bad shape and to know nothing about bikes, i know, i am in over my head but what better way to learn. 

the 1993 has all parts to get it running but im pretty sure when i put it back together i didnt get something right w the carb. i say that cause i see tube like hoses(pink in color) connected to a lot of you guys carbs and only thing connected to my carb is the tank and cord that goes to the clutch lever(i think thats where that cord goes)

the 1999 is only a shell and suspension . no motor, carb,  nothing! just mane/sub frame, suspension, arm, tires, tank, radiator, plastics. 

i got the 1993 for $300, and the 1999 for $100 so i dont mind putting money in it. i just need guidance on the technical stuff. i dont even know how to mix gas. a 4stroke may b better for me but hey....

long story longer, will my 93 motor fit in my 99? i read 99 motors are popular in the shifter community so they may b hard to come by. ebay mainly sells you cases separately and thats sketchy on matching up since idk wat im doing really. 

what motors will fit in easiest?

i dont plan on racing, just learning moreso. i rode when i was in my teens(now 31) so i know the basics. just bought a house with a large wooded area behind my house and figured wth. I'll pose pics if u guys need. 

BTW- i live in Maryland so if anyone wanna stop pass and help me out....lol 

THANKS!

Different part numbers - you have to remember 93 was a steel frame and 99 was alloy

• Like 1

Those hoses are mainly drainage hoses and are just put in place to keep the carb from getting dirt in it. It should still run fine without them, but it wouldn't be a bad idea to replace them. Also, that cable goes to the throttle. I'd just get the 93 running and ride it

• Like 1

Thanks for replying guys. Ok I'll try n start the 93 tomorrow. I have oil(klotz)and read I should mix it 32 to 1? Do I have to order a special coolant or can I use car coolant?

and I bought the 99 cause i prefer the newer frame look even tho I hear the older frames are better. So I prefer to put my resources into the 99. But ultimately both of them.

outside of the 98/99, does any other year motor bolt right in?

I run Lucas oil at 40:1. Also, I like ATF for the transmission. You can run car coolant at a 50/50 mix, but make sure to flush out all the old coolant. Mixing coolants isn't something you want to do. I don't know about what motors will bolt into the 99 frame, but the steel frames were better than the early aluminium frames. Also, the steel frames are easier to work on.