Smashed my radiator - looking for options

Had a nice little get off yesterday and crunched my right-side radiator (damn Pennsylvania rocks).  Had some good forward momentum when I went down.  Was more of a frontal impact as the bike skidded sideways off the trail.  I lost a small amount of coolant and the only noticeable leak was from where the fan thermostat plug screws into the lower part of the radiator.  A very slow, small leak. 

As you can see in the pics the Unabiker radiator guard took a good amount of damage.  I put a nice gouge in my fork tube also. (Arghh..)  I fell earlier in the day but it was a slow-speed flop-over type fall resulting in no damage.

I have an IMS 3.0 gallon tank and am running a Beta factory fan.  The fan appears to be toast as one of the harness wires that connects to the temp sensor/thermostat snapped.  I suppose this could be spliced, but frankly I'm okay going without the fan since the bike ran on the cool side anyway according to my Trailtech TTO temp gauge.  Don't think I've ever seen that thing go above 230 degrees and I think I've only seen/heard the fan come on once. 

Ideally, I'd like to replace the right-side fan with a Mylers, but I believe I read that a Mylers won't fit with the IMS 3.0 gallon tank. Can anyone verify this?

As far as I can tell, these are my options:

Option A - Replace smashed radiator with new stock one.  Haven't priced out a stock Beta radiator.  Anyone know what these go for?

Option B - Replace smashed radiator with a Mylers (again, only if it will fit with the IMS 3-gallon tank)

Option C - Send in smashed radiator to Mylers to have fixed.  I don't know how bad a radiator has to be before it's deemed irreparable.  Mine looks kind of bad to me, but may be no problem to repair. According to their website, Mylers charges $45 - $75 to fix a radiator.  Let's call it $100

Option D ??

Anyone else replace a radiator recently and been in a similar situation?  Thoughts? 

Thanks guys. 

P1020982.JPG

P1020993.JPG

P1020987.JPG

P1020992.JPG

Edited by Ocaptainmycaptain
Rotating image
  • Like 1

I'm running the Myler's on my 300 with the 3.1 IMS. They didn't fit initially, but I used a heat gun to mold the proper clearance into the fuel tank...took a little bit of careful work, but the fit is perfect now. If nothing else, at least email a pic of the radiator to Mylers, I've seen some pretty 'effed up radiators get repaired.

Edited by Sierra_rider

4 hours ago, OscarFox said:

On my 350 the Mylers fit with the IMS tank with no modificaiton

Interesting how they fit on the 350 without modding but not on the 300, but I'm thinking the 4-stroke tanks must be shaped slightly different from the 2-stroke tanks.

I believe the IMS tank for the 4-strokes just came out last year and is 3 gallons, while the tank for the 2-strokes is 3.1 gallons, so there is a difference.

OscarFox - Are you using any kind of guards on the Mylers?  Are you also running a fan?  Did you order directly from Mylers?

Edited by Ocaptainmycaptain

Mylers on the left side with 3.2 IMS with rad guard on my 2014 450, very close, but fits nicely....

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Ocaptainmycaptain said:

Interesting how they fit on the 350 without modding but not on the 300, but I'm thinking the 4-stroke tanks must be shaped slightly different from the 2-stroke tanks.

I believe the IMS tank for the 4-strokes just came out last year and is 3 gallons, while the tank for the 2-strokes is 3.1 gallons, so there is a difference.

OscarFox - Are you using any kind of guards on the Mylers?  Are you also running a fan?  Did you order directly from Mylers?

I think the radiators are different. Also remember that the EFI fuel pumps take up that .1 gallons in the tank. That's why I believe the capacities are different. I ordered the Mylers and Bulletproof guards directly from them. I also sent them my old radiators as a sort of trade in. Maybe he still has them and can send them to you? Worth an ask. 

Edited by OscarFox

I had Mylers repair my radiator the was smashed and twisted. I also had them weld in a plug for the thermostat as I went to silicon hoses the eliminate the T-stat. Too bad you don't need a left side. I bought a new beta left radiator as a backup. spent $200. Turns out I didn't need it as Mylers had mine fixed a back to me in a week

• Like 1

9 hours ago, OscarFox said:

I think the radiators are different. Also remember that the EFI fuel pumps take up that .1 gallons in the tank. That's why I believe the capacities are different. I ordered the Mylers and Bulletproof guards directly from them. I also sent them my old radiators as a sort of trade in. Maybe he still has them and can send them to you? Worth an ask. 

I see on the Myler's website that they in fact sell used radiators for $100, and they currently have a right side one that I need.  Though it's tempting, I think I'm still going to go with the Myler's for the right side for the peace of mind that it's supposed to run cooler than stock.  That's important to me especially since I am now going to ditch the radiator fan. 

I also reached out to Unabiker to see if they'd be willing to replace my damaged radiator guard with a new one.  Worth a try. 

They can fix some really messed up radiators. I've used them quite a few times and they do quality work.

• Like 1

A story about Mylers from years ago: a riding friend smashed his radiator and I told him about Mylers, this is when they advertised they could repair them for no more than $75 tops. He did not have a credit card so he sent $75 cash along with the radiator - a short time later he received the repaired radiator along with something like $30 in change. I don't remember the exact amount but I was impressed with the level of integrity displayed.

• Like 1

I'd be more concerned about that fork tube.  Remove the cap to relieve spring tension and check for any drag or binding near full extension.  It doesn't take much of a ding, I have had this happen in the past a couple times on other bikes.  I ride rocks all the time and run CF fork guards with a layer of rubber sheet bonded to the inside for a buffer, and the SKF scrapers for the seal area which are excellent.  A minor ding in this area makes seal changes a nightmare.  I have a deep gouge in a fork guard from a rock garden fall that might have been a fork tube otherwise.

38 minutes ago, GP said:

I'd be more concerned about that fork tube.  Remove the cap to relieve spring tension and check for any drag or binding near full extension.  It doesn't take much of a ding, I have had this happen in the past a couple times on other bikes.  I ride rocks all the time and run CF fork guards with a layer of rubber sheet bonded to the inside for a buffer, and the SKF scrapers for the seal area which are excellent.  A minor ding in this area makes seal changes a nightmare.  I have a deep gouge in a fork guard from a rock garden fall that might have been a fork tube otherwise.

Which carbon fiber fork guards are you using? Are they Beta specific?

1 hour ago, Ocaptainmycaptain said:

Which carbon fiber fork guards are you using? Are they Beta specific?

Lightspeed I think, they were on a previous bike.  They are generic.  If you could find the right size thin wall poly pipe you can make a set fast, cheap, and effective. 

I'd fix the fan.. you have it.. it's only fixing the wire.. You have a variety of choices.. maybe fix the radiator and get a new guard?..  you have choices......you can also look to a variety of choices for radiator guards..Ptech, bullet proof designs ..unabiker.. but look around .. see what new choices you have.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, hawaiidirtrider said:

I'd fix the fan.. you have it.. it's only fixing the wire.. You have a variety of choices.. maybe fix the radiator and get a new guard?..  you have choices......you can also look to a variety of choices for radiator guards..Ptech, bullet proof designs ..unabiker.. but look around .. see what new choices you have.

I'm going to keep the fan and try to fix it, but first I'm going to run a Myler's radiator as a replacement without the fan because I'm curious to see what temperature readouts I get with this setup.   As for replacing the radiator guard, I'm waiting to hear back from Unabiker.  If they don't replace the bashed one then I'll order a pair of the Bullet Proof Designs from Myler's. 

4 minutes ago, Ocaptainmycaptain said:

I'm going to keep the fan and try to fix it, but first I'm going to run a Myler's radiator as a replacement without the fan because I'm curious to see what temperature readouts I get with this setup.   As for replacing the radiator guard, I'm waiting to hear back from Unabiker.  If they don't replace the bashed one then I'll order a pair of the Bullet Proof Designs from Myler's. 

Try checking ptech too. Those look pretty strong.Mylers are good. I like a fan because it starts as temps go up..best would be both big rads and fan..but not sure both fit