best year 150sx?

2 hours ago, ScrewMx_Hd said:

looking to buy a used 150sx for hare scrambles. what are the pros and cons of the different years?

To answer your question, a 16 or 17 are the BEST.

Depends if you mind having 4cs or not, and if you don't want PDS. If not, the newer the better. If so, one with CC forks and a link.

Pros with the older PDS models are CC forks, more powa and torque. Cons, they are valved extremely stiff.

Cant speak for the newer ones but they lost power and have 4cs for cons. pros are better handling and a link.

• Like 1

looking to buy a used 150sx for hare scrambles. what are the pros and cons of the different years?

Can tell you the downfall of the sx for us is it's top speed... Depends on the hare scrambles you run but out here you will top out really fast without the wide ratio
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, wwillf01 said:

Can tell you the downfall of the sx for us is it's top speed... Depends on the hare scrambles you run but out here you will top out really fast without the wide ratio

I've had this issue with both my 150, and now the 200.  I really prefer the close ratio trans 99% of the time, but that 1% when I am in sixth hopelessly looking for a seventh gear...it sucks.  One race last year had a LOT of connecting roads, I could catch and pass guys in the woods, but those same guys walked right past me on the connectors.  I bet I passed the same 5 guys about 10 times, felt like it anyway.  Eventually I will swap my sx 5th and 6th for an xcw 5th and 6th...eventually, lol.

OP, I haven't ridden a 16 or a 17, I have heard they are excellent.  I really liked my 13 150, longer stroke than the current bikes, maybe it was placebo, but they (12-15)  have a decent grunt for a small bore.

Go for a linkage bike (12+) , I've had both and prefer the linked versions.  If your races have a lot of moto definitely go linkage imo.

What about a 150xcw, or they made a 150xc for several years, best of both worlds?

• Like 2

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4PwVZCK5pH9XKmfgZ7oN-Q here's my channel, these are what most of our races look like. So far my CR125 suits me good on the long parts, then again i'm not fast and have never ridden a wide ratio bike. i had posted a while ago in the 150 club thread and most people pointed me toward the SX rather the XCW. I appreciate the replies everyone.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, ScrewMx_Hd said:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4PwVZCK5pH9XKmfgZ7oN-Q here's my channel, these are what most of our races look like. So far my CR125 suits me good on the long parts, then again i'm not fast and have never ridden a wide ratio bike. i had posted a while ago in the 150 club thread and most people pointed me toward the SX rather the XCW. I appreciate the replies everyone.

Many will push you to the SX for racing, as XC/Ws have traditionally been very softly suspended. I dont find it to be an issue (in fact, I find SX suspension to cause me grief more regularly on the trails) and many complain of the XC/W box to be gappy.

You dont notice the gappiness of an W box until you ride an SX on a tight closed course and then realise you are working less hard.

That being said, if you're doing ST interspersed with highspeed sections maybe its worth looking at a W. Maybe even look for a 200XC or something.

• Like 1

Many will push you to the SX for racing, as XC/Ws have traditionally been very softly suspended. I dont find it to be an issue (in fact, I find SX suspension to cause me grief more regularly on the trails) and many complain of the XC/W box to be gappy.
You dont notice the gappiness of an W box until you ride an SX on a tight closed course and then realise you are working less hard.
That being said, if you're doing ST interspersed with highspeed sections maybe its worth looking at a W. Maybe even look for a 200XC or something.

i've been trying to find a 200. Is there a profound difference between a 150 and 200?

4 minutes ago, ScrewMx_Hd said:

i've been trying to find a 200. Is there a profound difference between a 150 and 200?

They can be converted back and forth. But yes, in 200cc configuration the engine is much, much more torquey.

Comparing my 200 to my 150, I think the 150 actually has more pull on top and thus a higher peak horsepower. 200 crushes it everywhere else though. 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, ScrewMx_Hd said:

Yes, depending on how it's tuned.  BP is right though, not much difference on top, but getting there is less work on the 200 imo.

My bike started as a 13 150sx, rode it that way for 2 years, plunked down the dough for a built 03 200sx setup, pipe, cdi.  Sold the 150 setup and installed the 200 in the 150 chassis.  By far the best bike I've had/ridden.  Excellent on track and trail, with the exception of the long connectors, just runs out of gears.  My 200 has the same trans that my (the) 150sx has, 6 speed close ratio.

• Like 1

i greatly appreciate the responses you guys give me, lots of insight to models i'm not too familiar with. They stopped making the 200SX a long time ago right? would like preferably a 2012+, they still made the 200 XC at this point right?

14 minutes ago, ScrewMx_Hd said:

i greatly appreciate the responses you guys give me, lots of insight to models i'm not too familiar with. They stopped making the 200SX a long time ago right? would like preferably a 2012+, they still made the 200 XC at this point right?

2009 was the last year for the 200xc. After having a 13 and 14 150sx i would say either of those 2 years are good. I also had an 14 200xcw and liked the 150s better. They handled better and power was more usable. 

• Like 1

2009 was the last year for the 200xc. After having a 13 and 14 150sx i would say either of those 2 years are good. I also had an 14 200xcw and liked the 150s better. They handled better and power was more usable. 

thank you i appreciate it. i think i'll go with the 150 sx. how is parts availability? some people have said since they're kind of a newer model some parts are hard to find?

1 minute ago, ScrewMx_Hd said:

thank you i appreciate it. i think i'll go with the 150 sx. how is parts availability? some people have said since they're kind of a newer model some parts are hard to find?

Cant speak for the 16 and newer but 15 and older everything is readily available. In 250 hours of use between 2 bikes i never needed anything but wear parts.

Cant speak for the 16 and newer but 15 and older everything is readily available. In 250 hours of use between 2 bikes i never needed anything but wear parts.

Agreed... I have a 2015...

I have an 09 150sx I converted to ride in the woods. Put on an 8oz flywheel weight and that thing lugs surprisingly well for a 150. I can climb any hill just like he guys with the 250s and 300s. If I were you though I'd try to go with something newer like 2014 and up.

If your on a cr125 you will LOVE a 150sx, especially 16/17, it's going to feel faster throughout the whole power band. The suspension will need to be revalved for offroad. They are great bikes, motor is strong enough to pull a tooth or two taller if you have a high speed event but stock gearing is really good. I have a fair amount of time on a 16' and it holds its own in the desert, plenty of top end(mph).

If your on a cr125 you will LOVE a 150sx, especially 16/17, it's going to feel faster throughout the whole power band. The suspension will need to be revalved for offroad. They are great bikes, motor is strong enough to pull a tooth or two taller if you have a high speed event but stock gearing is really good. I have a fair amount of time on a 16' and it holds its own in the desert, plenty of top end(mph).

i am looking for a lightly used 16, i am gonna miss the old honda though.
  • Like 1

Don't exclude a 125sx or TC both are great and can easily be made 144cc like the 150 if wanted. 

• Like 1

Don't exclude a 125sx or TC both are great and can easily be made 144cc like the 150 if wanted. 

is there a big difference with the 125 and 150? Huskys are impossible to find used here in Florida

There is not a big difference IMO. 

The newer 150's are just a larger bore(144) where as the older ones are bored and stroked to get to 144cc. Some like the older ones better claiming more bottom. It's as simple as swapping a top end to make a newer one into a 150.

Heres a good read http://motocrossactionmag.com/mxa-two-stroke-shootout-the-2013-ktm-125sx-versus-the-2013-ktm-150sx/

I think they did the same shootout for the newer chassis but can't find it. 

• Like 1