So after listening to a tinging noise in my top end for a few days I pulled it apart finally the piston has alot of side to side play on the rod, the bottom end has a small amount of side to side and no up and down, is it normal for a ton of side to side play in the wrist pin area, its an air cooled 80' kdx 400. Also im not replacing the piston/rings because it had plenty of compression/lack of availability is there a break in period for the needle bearing/wrist pin?

Edited by Illuminated onyx

Yes that is normal for piston side play for the wrist pin, 1/8"-1/4" play is typical. The big end of the rod is the one you need to check.  I would imagine max play would be .040"  or less , more like .020-.025". 

2 hours ago, GreenMT_Rider said:

Yes that is normal for piston side play for the wrist pin, 1/8"-1/4" play is typical. The big end of the rod is the one you need to check.  I would imagine max play would be .040"  or less , more like .020-.025". 

Ok its like a quarter inch of play side to side on the piston, and  ill check the bottom end play specs when my clymer manual arrives. Is there a break in period for the piston pin and small end bearing?