Sign in to follow this  

Gearing

I have a 49t rear and a 13t & 14t front sprocket , I ride desert , just wondering which set up would be better. My 450X has the stock gearing on it currently.

It's depends on what "issues" you are having...Some people do more street/dual sport riding and gear up to reduce rpm, noise, and vibration at higher speeds. I don't ride streets or dual sport and mostly ride gnarly, difficult trails with rocks and steep climbs...I geared mine down...

• Like 3

On 6/14/2017 at 10:25 AM, Sofiedog said:

It's depends on what "issues" you are having...Some people do more street/dual sport riding and gear up to reduce rpm, noise, and vibration at higher speeds. I don't ride streets or dual sport and mostly ride gnarly, difficult trails with rocks and steep climbs...I geared mine down...

Same type of terrain so I find the stock 13/51 gearing works awesome. I think my bike has a 3rd, 4th, and 5th gear but I don't use them too much. 

• Like 2

I agree...stock is pretty good all around...I just went to 13/52...not much different
By gearing down a bit, 1st is great for creek bottoms and slow rocky climbs...I ride around in 2nd and 3rd...once we hit the Forest Service roads its 4th and 5th...

• Like 2

I ride the So California deserts , my issue was that on open roads I was getting left behind from my group in 5th gear with the stock gearing . I read in a post that the best all around gearing was 14t and 49t so that's what I did . I haven't had a chance to try it out yet cause the temp has been around 105 degrees .

• Like 1

Im at 14-49 and the only real time I've felt it bog me down is in the deep sand. Interestingly though this seems to be worse with the r cam/megabomb. Still rideable just feel like less margin of error there to lose momentum. Not sure if its the cam or the sand being drier this time of year and therefore deeper...Oh yeah and there is always that thing called a downshift...

Edited by munstro
  • Like 2

I'm running a 14/51 on mine. I just did some tight single track and highway riding this weekend. It worked pretty well. I lugged up some pretty steep hills from a dead stop and had very few issues stalling. Pulled 80 on the road before I backed off. I would have preferred a shorter gear for the tight stuff but 14 was definitely usable on a bone stock motor. 

• Like 3

Will the chain guard fit with a 14 on the front?  I want to do it, but I don't want to lose the chain guard protection for the cases.  (08 450x)   Thanks!

I ride in open desert and in some rocky, hilly stuff with a 14/49. It's a decent all around gearing with okay top end. Pushing the limits for trail riding but still decent in the dez.

15/49 on my 5.