Jump to content

Recommended Posts

I wanted to run non ethonal in my cr250. But at my qt they only had regular 87 or whatever non ethonal so i went with the 93. Is 93 non ethonal even a thing?I

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My state (Michigan) is a big part of the ethanol problem.  They push it because of the corn growers here.  Oddly as hard as our state pushes it, the Reid Vapor Pressure requirements for the Detroit a Metro Area were not easily met with ethanol fuel so we didn't have to deal with it here.  That is until recently when they were granted a waiver for ethanol fuels.  Now we have that junk here and it's terrible.  The plastic tank on my trials bike swelled up to the point I can't get it on the bike.  That was my first hint that ethanol had come to the area.  The other problem is ethanol fuels are oxygenated.  Old style fuel had 0% oxygen.  These new oxygenated fuels can carry a significant amount of oxygen.  Why is that a problem?  Because it effectively leans out your mixture which can result in knocking, pinging and even piston failure if you were running on the edge before the fuel changed.

Anyway, around here all the 93 octane now has ethanol.  There is something called REC-90 for sale here which is ethanol free 90 octane but it's quite hard to find.  The best bet around here is getting fuel at a marina as they will generally carry ethanol free fuel since older outboards will not tolerate ethanol.  But I don't think it's 93 octane.

Luckily my new bike (KTM 350) is tolerant of 93 w/ethanol,. But my trials bike I run straight 112 octane ethanol free race gas in because it hates 93 w/ethanol.  It knocks and pings like crazy on the 93 with ethanol.

 

As a side note, don't trust anyone's word about fuel being ethanol free.  When it first came to this area I asked the gas station workers and they all said it was ethanol free.  I bought a tester and found out they were lying or more likely were just ignorant.  I also found that many of the stations listed on pure-gas were also not ethanol free.  The tester is just a small graduated cylinder.  You put in the prescribed amount of gas and water, shake it up and it shows you the percentage of ethanol.  

Briggs and Stratton makes the one I have and it just costs a few bucks.  Amazon sells it.  Just google Briggs Ethanol Tester.

 

Doc

Edited by Doc_d

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/12/2017 at 0:02 AM, Doc_d said:

As a side note, don't trust anyone's word about fuel being ethanol free.  When it first came to this area I asked the gas station workers and they all said it was ethanol free.  I bought a tester and found out they were lying or more likely were just ignorant.  I also found that many of the stations listed on pure-gas were also not ethanol free.  The tester is just a small graduated cylinder.  You put in the prescribed amount of gas and water, shake it up and it shows you the percentage of ethanol.  

Briggs and Stratton makes the one I have and it just costs a few bucks.  Amazon sells it.  Just google Briggs Ethanol Tester.

I don't trust anyone either.  I test all gas here.  93 ethanol free is pretty easy to find in south west VA.  I also haven't found anyone lieing about it.

I just use a water bottle and fill up around half way with water. Mark with a sharpie. Fill the rest with gas , shake and wait for it to settle out.

 

20170514_142322.jpeg

Edited by joemc04
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

In my area, all the E0 gas is 88 octane. And all the 91 octane stuff is a 9:1 mixture of 88 octane and ethanol. My bike calls for 91, so I'm stuck with having to use gas with alcohol.

Also, due to our elevation, we don't have 93 pump gas anywhere. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Mario,

I've never had a 4F that won't run 89 ethanol free. Have you tried the 88? My guess is that it will run just fine without knocking, especially at your high altitudes. My '11 FI KX250F runs fine on 89, and I am at sea level. Worth a try.

Edited by LSHD

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
40 minutes ago, LSHD said:

Mario,

I've never had a 4F that won't run 89 ethanol free. Have you tried the 88? My guess is that it will run just fine without knocking, especially at your high altitudes. My '11 FI KX250F runs fine on 89, and I am at sea level. Worth a try.

I guess I should clarify my statement a little. I have no problems running E10 in my FI bike. 

My real issue is that my old street bike will ping on 88 but not 91, so I have to run E10 and it will gunk up the carbs if left sitting over time...the only way to prevent that is to ride it every day! 

Edited by MarioThePlumber
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It's all e10 in north Texas, so that's all I run in everything I own, and I never have issues. That's 3 bikes, a boat, lots of lawn equipment, daily drivers, and a 9 second classic car. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, cjjeepercreeper said:

That was posted, but from my experience it is pretty inaccurate.

Even in my area where there is a ton of ethanol free gas that website is inaccurate.

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, joemc04 said:

Even in my area where there is a ton of ethanol free gas that website is inaccurate.

 

The website shows 7 on the map in my area, but to the best of my knowledge only 3 of those actually have it.  And only one has anything better than 88.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We have 91 non ethonol here. Mostly run that but once in while run 93 with ethonol.  I can't tell a difference. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Check your local, smaller airports for ethanol free gas.  Some homebuilt aircraft run it.  Good luck.

tom

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Motox367 said:

We have 91 non ethonol here. Mostly run that but once in while run 93 with ethonol.  I can't tell a difference. 

Your bike will run the same.  What is happening, especially if your bike is carbureted, is damage to the parts and a buildup of nasty white stuff.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ethanol fuels isn't that big of a problem, other than when things sit. Obviously I'd prefer no ethanol, but here in ca that ain't happening without going to special places.As long as it's ridden or the fuels drained out before the gas goes bad you're fine. 91 California octane is all my stuff sees and it hasn't been a problem. Some rubber seals can be broken down over time with it, but most carb rebuild kits these days are with rubber seals that are good with ethanol.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm one of you 'better safe than sorry" types too, to the extreme I'm sure some would say. I have 3 dual sport bikes, my kids 50, as well as a chainsaw and a lawnmower.

To make sure things always start and run the right way, I'll visit our local airport to buy AV100 (low lead aviation fuel 100 octane) and usually I later mix it in a 5 gallon jug with non-ethanol 92 octane from the gas station just across the Oregon border (maybe 25 miles away). Each of these are currently running roughly $4 a gallon so it is a bit more expensive than regular or 'premium' gasoline (E10) but at least I don't have to worry about things breaking down, gumming up, and not running the way they should if they happen to sit for more than a couple months.

I should also mention, I use pump gas in my dual sport bikes with no problems either. But it's usually when I'm out in the boonies where I don't want to end up walking it back (I have ran out of gas too many times to talk about!) 

l do not store more than 10 gallons max at a time so it doesn't degrade much if any before I get a chance to use it.

With the 'fancy gas' as I will call it, the fast turn over is probably unnecessary, but with 10% ethanol fuel you definitely do not want to buy more than you can immediately use!

I've done a bit of research on ethanol and especially here on the coast it will attract water molecules to collect inside our fuel tanks so in my daily driver I tend to fill my tank instead of just putting like $10 or $20 in. And then I drive until I'm close to empty and fill it up all the way again. 

I'm not sure that this is right, it's just what I do. Apologies for the essay I just wrote you guys. Lol peace.

Edited by tyler90

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, joemc04 said:

I don't trust anyone either.  I test all gas here.  93 ethanol free is pretty easy to find in south west VA.  I also haven't found anyone lieing about it.

I just use a water bottle and fill up around half way with water. Mark with a sharpie. Fill the rest with gas , shake and wait for it to settle out.

 

20170514_142322.jpeg

 

Edited by wielywilly-g
I googled the Briggs and got my answer.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Reply with:


×