is this oil jet &%$#@!ed?

I have had my old man use a flywheel puller that had a pin centre punch that i told him not to use because it was appling pressure to the inside jet rather than the other ring. is this stuffed my crank now? was probly going to replace anyway. its been moved about 5mm back but used to be flush im doing a 2008 crf450r rebuild. also side question has anyone heard of wrench rabbit rebuiild kits and what are they like compared to wiseco etc? whats crap and whats not?

thanks !

jet.jpeg

15 hours ago, PETE24 said:

honda parts are cheap go oem, hot rods aint to bad, do not use a wiseco crank

Why?

Explain in detail why not. Not some ridiculous "its made in China" thing either.

But the nose of that crank is toast. Its not the oil jet either, its the sealing surface. That nose slips into a seal in the stator cover that provides oil pressure to the crank. If the nose is messed up, and it knocks the spring out of the seal, you end up with a massive internal oil leak that will lead to massive bottom end failure, sooner or later.

• Like 1

wrench rabbit is owned my hotrods and comes with a hotrods crank and vertex piston. hotrods cranks are supossed to be good. i just put a stroker in a 250

i use hotrods rod and vertex pistom they are great no problems atol with them
  • Like 1

Like stated above, that crank is toast at least to my standards. If that end don't seal up perfectly you lose all oil pressure to your rod bearing. Ive used every brand of crank on the market. honestly wasn't aware if wiseco even offered a crank for a 450? Ive put several wiseco cranks in 250F with no premature failure yet. My go to crank is hotrods but ill put in whatever the customer wants to pay for

11 hours ago, Chrisy Wright said:

i use hotrods rod and vertex pistom they are great no problems atol with them

On 6/12/2017 at 2:50 AM, bradcrf450 said:

I have had my old man use a flywheel puller that had a pin centre punch that i told him not to use because it was appling pressure to the inside jet rather than the other ring. is this stuffed my crank now? was probly going to replace anyway. its been moved about 5mm back but used to be flush im doing a 2008 crf450r rebuild. also side question has anyone heard of wrench rabbit rebuiild kits and what are they like compared to wiseco etc? whats crap and whats not?

thanks !

jet.jpeg

Did the puller damage the flywheel at all?

The only bad thing I'll say about a Hotrods crank kit is that the left side main bearing may have a plastic cage. The main failure of the left side bearing is the cage. The OEM one wears and pukes iron debris into the oil, you'll see it on the ignition pick up mag points. With it being plastic, it wont produce debris..it'll just fail.

When that happens, the rollers spread out and a banging starts that sounds like a brick in the dryer.

• Like 1

Should the seal in the stator be replaced during rebuilds.  I did not even realize it was there until last night while cleaning out the junk from the right crank seal failure?  I could feel the crank end pop into the seal so it feels like the seal has good tension but it has never been replaced.

Edited by ramjetV8
content

Should the seal in the stator be replaced during rebuilds.  I did not even realize it was there until last night while cleaning out the junk from the right crank seal failure?  I could feel the crank end pop into the seal so it feels like the seal has good tension but it has never been replaced.

Its a good idea to replace it.

I always do. It's too cheap to not. You should smear a little grease around the shaft of the crank too. I like to keep things slippery. The flywheel magnets will pull the stator cover right out of your hands most of time.

Ill get that seal and when I pull the side to clean residual junk Ill replace it.

Ill get that seal and when I pull the side to clean residual junk Ill replace it.

Clean out the oil pickup too. Mine was filthy.

On 6/14/2017 at 6:29 AM, ThrustWasher said:

Did the puller damage the flywheel at all?

Yes it pushed the end in like 5mm

thanks for all the replys everyone dont know why my email hasnt alerted me to them

12 minutes ago, bradcrf450 said:

Yes it pushed the end in like 5mm

thanks for all the replys everyone dont know why my email hasnt alerted me to them

on the crank yes, But did it damage the flywheel?

Edited by ThrustWasher

On 6/13/2017 at 5:38 PM, Shawn_Mc said:

Why?

Explain in detail why not. Not some ridiculous "its made in China" thing either.

But the nose of that crank is toast. Its not the oil jet either, its the sealing surface. That nose slips into a seal in the stator cover that provides oil pressure to the crank. If the nose is messed up, and it knocks the spring out of the seal, you end up with a massive internal oil leak that will lead to massive bottom end failure, sooner or later.

Thanks alot you guys have helped so much

Im going to start using this forum more just have to figure out why im not getting email notifications

54 minutes ago, ThrustWasher said:

on the crank yes, But did it damage the flywheel?

I dont think so it put alot of pressure on the back end of it though no marks