PW50 stock exhaust "clogged"

So i was doing some maintenance on my youngest son's (just turned 3) PW50 and removed the silencer to check out the black sludge inside it. We bought this machine used and I don't have a clue about its history/hours/maintenance and it has been running well for the most part until recently. The bike started losing a lot of power and lately wouldn't idle correctly. I went through the bike and finally ended up noticing that the silencer and spark arrestor were almost completely clogged with an oily sludge (similar to one created around an oil pan due to leaking gasket) that was choking out the exhaust. I cleaned most of it out and reinstalled. It runs great now.

Anyone else have any experience like this? I can only assume it has been run very rich for very long but it still confuses me. I wish I had pictures but my hands were covered in grease and oil at the time.

Skin

That's normal for them if it's got some years n hours on it. They're oil injected and yes the ratio is a little "rich" (in quotations bc "rich" actually refers to the fuel/air ratio and is loosely used to describe oil/fuel ratios). Also make sure ur using injector specific 2 stroke oil (if in fact the injector pump is still connected) because it's actually thinner than regular 2 stroke oil n is consumed more thoroughly during combustion. I've had numerous PW's (50' n 80's) n the occasional oily pipe is common n no big deal.... enjoy!

• Like 1