BETA 300RR TO TX300

Has anyone gone from a beta 300rr(mines a 2017} to a tx 300 and if so how did they find it i am a 52 year old hare and hounds racer so the bike will only be used to race im interested in the difference in power and handling,also here in the uk there is a fair bit of woods to negotiate in our races along with bumpy farmland

• Like 1

I have two buddy's that have switched, they've gone around and round with jetting & suspension and there no faster. I need to listen how light they are but I keep asking, why are you still behind me ?       

I part exchanged the beta today and got a really good deal on a 2018 tx 300 the beta is a good hare and hounds racer I just had too many problems with it.does anybody now if the 2017 rad guards fit the 2018 model tx 300.if people are interested im going to report on how the bike is and how it compares.

1 husky tx300.jpg

• Like 5

Found this thread while searching 300RR vs TX300.  Congratulations on the new bike, it looks really nice!  Definitely come back with updates for us as you become familiar with the TX300.  In the meantime, what problems did you have with the Beta that made you look for something new?

On 6/17/2017 at 1:50 PM, adamsavage said:

I part exchanged the beta today and got a really good deal on a 2018 tx 300 the beta is a good hare and hounds racer I just had too many problems with it.does anybody now if the 2017 rad guards fit the 2018 model tx 300.if people are interested im going to report on how the bike is and how it compares.

1 husky tx300.jpg

Look forward to your report.  Have located a "17 and trying to work a good left over deal.  Plan to use for trail and MX (grass tracks ). Etc.  

On 6/17/2017 at 11:50 AM, adamsavage said:

1 husky tx300.jpg

I just recently sold my Kx450F and made the big jump to 2T and bought a 2018 Tx300. I live in the states so I won't get it until early-mid July. I would be very interested in your report on the bike. 

in reply to boots magee the problems i had with the beta were float height and jetting when new which i had all sorted out on a dyno which by the way was the shop i got the tx 300 from(dave wood racing), oil pump packed up third ride and then overcharging problems all within 23 hours of use,so because most of my races are 6 or 7 hour round trips even though the beta was sorted i didnt want any more problems.the tx 300 feels really light so im hoping it wont be unstable at speed.im going to run it in 1 night this week and hopefully race it in a small race this sunday.also been shopping for goodies on ebay so will post some more pics when done.

5 hours ago, adamsavage said:

in reply to boots magee the problems i had with the beta were float height and jetting when new which i had all sorted out on a dyno which by the way was the shop i got the tx 300 from(dave wood racing), oil pump packed up third ride and then overcharging problems all within 23 hours of use,so because most of my races are 6 or 7 hour round trips even though the beta was sorted i didnt want any more problems.the tx 300 feels really light so im hoping it wont be unstable at speed.im going to run it in 1 night this week and hopefully race it in a small race this sunday.also been shopping for goodies on ebay so will post some more pics when done.

adamsavage, I think you will be very happy with your decision. I have a '17 with all the jetting "issues" sorted out. It will be interesting to hear if the '18's are pretty good from the factory. The bike is very stable, yet quick steering. The aer forks are the best forks I've been on, (I have spent $$$ on forks before, but stock aer's are better IMO), and the chassis is very stable and confidence inspiring. I ride high speed whooped out desert and gnarly mountain singletrack, enduro's and harescrambles. It is a great all around bike. By far the best one I have owned.

Suspension on the TX is way better.  The forks are amazing and are totally adjustable with air pressure.  Bike can be set up for MX, then trails in the same ride/day.  I have ridden a few beta's, nice bikes. nothing wrong with them per say.  My last bike was a 300 Gas Gas and this TX is light years better, faster, lighter.  Think motocross handling/power with good trail manners.

The power will hit harder than a Beta.  I decided to stay away from beta primarily because of the suspension.  They come with open cartridge Sachs forks...I mean really?  DRZ's meant to be ridden on dirt roads come with open cartridge.  Not the kind of suspension you want in a hare scramble/enduro race for sure...pounding obstacles for 2 hours.

Beta...think great trail bike, user friendly, low seat height, enduro smooth power

TX300...think race bike, more power hits harder, higher seat height, lighter weight, hare scramble ready off showroom floor.

what air pressure are you running in the forks and have you made any other suspension adjustments.im 180lbs without kit.

27 minutes ago, adamsavage said:

what air pressure are you running in the forks and have you made any other suspension adjustments.im 180lbs without kit.

I run 140lbs cold.  Usually warms up 3-5 lbs depending on humidity, so I set it knowing it will go up a few lbs after 20 minutes.  I am 190lbs and wear a lot of gear so easily 200+/- when all is said and done.  I also have 1 size stiffer spring in the rear to compensate.

I run 13 out compression and 12 out rebound with 105mm sag.  Also, I run the forks up (3rd notch) in the clamps.  

22 hours ago, adamsavage said:

I am 180# without kit as well. there are a couple of different ways you can go about setting your forks. One way is higher air pressure and clickers set around the middle, the other is lower air pressure and clickers set higher. I have experimented with both and found the latter to work better for me. A lot of people have recommended taking out 20-30ml's oil out of each fork, I have not done that.

Air Pressure: 120-122

Compression: 23

Rebound: 15

got the new bike prepped today first outing is going to be a practice day next Wednesday.i have found the build quality to be much better than the beta as you can see from the pics I have fitted a few shiny bits also drilled a hole in the top of the airbox to route the carb breather pipes into so they are out the way in deep water.

DSC_0046.JPG

DSC_0047.JPG

DSC_0048.JPG

DSC_0044.JPG

DSC_0049.JPG

DSC_0050.JPG

DSC_0052.JPG

DSC_0053.JPG

DSC_0054.JPG

• Like 5

Very nice looking bike. I love the UK flag background on the number plate.  I'm debating the 2018 TE300 versus the 2018 TX 300.  I'm skeptical about the Xplorer fork on the TE.  Looking forward to your feedback on the TX.

Who on earth is putting these WP fork stickers on?  Not a single new KTM or Husky seems to have them oriented correctly.

Nice bike though!  Love the custom decals with the integrated flag.

• Like 1

On 6/24/2017 at 7:12 AM, adamsavage said:

got the new bike prepped today first outing is going to be a practice day next Wednesday.i have found the build quality to be much better than the beta as you can see from the pics I have fitted a few shiny bits also drilled a hole in the top of the airbox to route the carb breather pipes into so they are out the way in deep water.

DSC_0046.JPG

DSC_0047.JPG

DSC_0048.JPG

DSC_0044.JPG

DSC_0049.JPG

DSC_0050.JPG

DSC_0052.JPG

DSC_0053.JPG

DSC_0054.JPG

PS Good looking ride and good call on the frame guards, the stock ones are silly and useless.  Off for a ride this am before it gets too hot here, think I might crack 80 hours on the TX today. 

hi motox178 how has the reliability been on those hours has that been trail use or race hours.i cant wait to get out on the bike on wednesday.

My riding buddy has a 2017 TX300. Fantastic bike. If you are having jetting issues, purchase a JD jet kit for it. Cat's meow! And drill a few holes in the filter side cover. Works wonders for the bike. Comparing it to a Beta is difficult though. Guys in my area of eastern PA buy Beta and GasGas for the really tight rocky terrain we have around here. The TX is not good for just putting through super tight single track with tombstones and roots. That's where the other bikes shine. It likes more of the open GNCC style of racing/riding. The thing just hauls on a motocross track. Most of the reviews on the bike are from magazines that reside in California. Their scrambles and off road are wide open. Kind of hard to determine by the reviews how they would be everywhere. It is a totally different world from east coast tight stuff. Start looking at about 30 hours race time for a new top end.

Edited by cbauer

3 hours ago, cbauer said:

My riding buddy has a 2017 TX300. Fantastic bike. If you are having jetting issues, purchase a JD jet kit for it. Cat's meow! And drill a few holes in the filter side cover. Works wonders for the bike. Comparing it to a Beta is difficult though. Guys in my area of eastern PA buy Beta and GasGas for the really tight rocky terrain we have around here. The TX is not good for just putting through super tight single track with tombstones and roots. That's where the other bikes shine. It likes more of the open GNCC style of racing/riding. The thing just hauls on a motocross track. Most of the reviews on the bike are from magazines that reside in California. Their scrambles and off road are wide open. Kind of hard to determine by the reviews how they would be everywhere. It is a totally different world from east coast tight stuff. Start looking at about 30 hours race time for a new top end.

I am in the NE and ride tight (very tight) and the bike shines there as well.  You just have to be gentle on the throttle.  I came from a 2014 Gas Gas 300 and my TX is far more capable in EVERY aspect.