Clutch pressure plate lifting unevenly, always not lifting at 12:00 position

When I watch the clutch pressure plate lift (as the clutch lever is pulled, with side cover removed), the pressure plate lifts unevenly.  It consistently does not lift at the up (12 o'clock) position, regardless of the rotational position of the crank / clutch.  So if I spin the engine (and clutch assembly) to a different position, the pressure plate still always doesn't lift at whatever portion that's at the 12:00 point.

So I guess it's not a function of the clutch springs or plates.  Could it be related to the lifter rod or the bearing / plate at the end of the rod?

Compare plate to outer basket, not to the friction disks?  Maybe disks are flopping around when disengaged.  You could also put zip-tie on hand lever and measure clearance around several points with feeler gauge.  How does it run?  Smooth?  Why worry unless there is a problem?

Edited by Still Bill
  • Like 1

The clutch drags significantly when riding, to the point of stalling the engine whenever coming to a stop in gear.  I've tried two different clutch baskets, a new inner hub, three different sets of steels/frictions.  I've also replaced the springs.

Yes, I'm measuring the pressure plate lift relative to the basket, not the plates.  There's a very obvious tilt to the pressure plate just looking at it; there's no need for the precision of a feeler gauge.

Most motorcycle stock clutches are pretty simple.  The lever is pulled moving a lever on the engine which pushes a rod.  The rod at the clutch end usually has a bearing and a lifter piece which presses against the pressure plate.  And that's it.  I would suspect the springs (unequal pressure) and maybe the lifter piece on the end that is against the plate.  Pressure plate could also be suspect.  You say you have replaced most everything, but there isn't much to it.  Adjustment is the only other factor in drag other than maybe not having the plates in the right order, but I don't think that would do what you are describing.  AS notched basket could cause it too, but you said you replaced the basket.

Edited by cjjeepercreeper

You say you checked and replaced most of the clutch - did you check between cable and clutch ?

check the push rod and bearing end piece.   Make sure nothing is stuck in where the push rod seats causing a slight angle.  Also check the push rod for grooves anything that might cause issues.  

Only time i had seen the pressure plate push un equal like you stated was with my one bike that has a conversion clutch.  I had to cut the push rod and when i first cut it, it was not perfectly square on the face and caused what you describe.  I just filed it square and it was much better.

On that same bike yesterday i had a clutch issue develop after a few hours of riding, it felt like something was catching mid clutch pull then snapping free.  Took everything apart all looked good except some grooves on the push rod.  I filed them down then sanded it to a polish finish, put it all together and it is smooth as butter again.  The grooves must have been just enough to catch on something in the case when it was being moved.  

• Like 1

Good ideas about the actuator rod being not square at the end, or angling between the actuating lever and the pressure plate.  I'll chuck the rod and the bearing/ hat piece in the lathe to look for any unevenness. 

Make sure the release bearing that the rod presses against isn't wearing against the pressure plate unevenly.  Or maybe that it didn't blow up and lose half the little needle bearings and therefore isn't spinning or presses unevenly.