19 minutes ago, YHGEORGE said:

Open to debate. I'm with Chaconne.

I do think Suzuki has had their head up their ass. I think they should release a new 2 stroke to bolster sales. Maybe a 350 

Vet racers would buy it and the publicity might help the other bikes sell 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, meyermetal said:

No business that survived the great recession is mismanaged 

:lol: Taxpayer bailouts often mask mismanagement and leads to a false sense of "survival". And there were lots of those bailouts both here and abroad during the great recession.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Chaconne said:

:lol: Taxpayer bailouts often mask mismanagement and leads to a false sense of "survival". And there were lots of those bailouts both here and abroad during the great recession.

Only the largest companies and banks received money

I never received a bailout and I don't know any business owners that did. I do know plenty of owners that filed chapter 7 or 11 

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, meyermetal said:

Only the largest companies and banks received money

I never received a bailout and I don't know any business owners that did. I do know plenty of owners that filed chapter 7 or 11 

We are talking about Suzuki here. They are a fairly large Japanese company with a gov. well known for its fiscal interventions and protection of executives as well as its 45,000 employees.

18 minutes ago, Chaconne said:

We are talking about Suzuki here. They are a fairly large Japanese company with a gov. well known for its fiscal interventions and protection of executives as well as its 45,000 employees.

I know nothing about how the Japanese handled their 2008 and beyond economic situation  

They have been in a economic depression since 1995

I know nothing about how the Japanese handled their 2008 and beyond economic situation  

They have been in a economic depression since 1995

And the 2011 earthquake/tsunami didnt help much.

3 hours ago, YHGEORGE said:

Whatever. I just wish they would bring back an updated RMX250 2stk.

The RMX was a pretty nice bike.  I'd buy a new version of the last RMX or KDX if they could offer one today at a price that was reasonable for a non competition 2-stroke trail bike.

• Like 2

55 minutes ago, OUTERLIMITS said:

The RMX was a pretty nice bike.  I'd buy a new version of the last RMX or KDX if they could offer one today at a price that was reasonable for a non competition 2-stroke trail bike.

I think a lot of trailbikes could still sell pretty well in Cali and parts of the West. It is the rest of the country where the sport has been largely given up for dead and replaced by the ATV.

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, Chaconne said:

I think a lot of trailbikes could still sell pretty well in Cali and parts of the West. It is the rest of the country where the sport has been largely given up for dead and replaced by the ATV.

I can tell you they'd sell a LOT of RMXs, KDXs and WRs if they made them.

It's not like it's a risk building that style of bike. KTM is selling a ton and so are boutique manufactures like Beta , Sherco and GasGas. 

• Like 5

2 hours ago, BushPig said:

I can tell you they'd sell a LOT of RMXs, KDXs and WRs if they made them.

It's not like it's a risk building that style of bike. KTM is selling a ton and so are boutique manufactures like Beta , Sherco and GasGas. 

They aren't making them because no one was buying them in sufficient volumes in the USA at least (which is still one of the largest single powersports markets) when they did. KTM and those other Euros are not really selling dirtbikes in the kind of volumes the larger Asian manufacturers are really interested in(that is why they are boutique) as ATVs are dominant. In the late 60s, 70s, and 80s dirtbikes were hot and the volumes were huge, but after that not so much, as the ATV took over the casual trail rider market.

Some powersports stores around here (East Coast USA) don't even have dirtbikes anymore or maybe just one or two. The floor space is taken up by ATVs, SxSs, Watercraft, and Snowmobiles. ATVs have become so acceptable that in some places ATVs are allowed on terrain and dirtbikes are prohibited and the ATV'ers work against dirtbikers having access. Granny can drive the big ATV no problem so they are ok to her, but there is no way she is getting on a WR450F and riding that so it must be bad... :crazy:

• Like 1

I think where I'm at in Ohio I have been seeing a steady rise in bikes, but not new, and a quadruple increase in workman style 4 wheelers and side by sides. I talk to a lot of the people, the bike riders are usually mid-30s, haven't rode in 16 years...wanted to get back into it.... eventually you never see the guy again or he shows up with a new bike, gear and a thirst to learn how to ride better. Then you start seeing them at the track and off they go. The 4 wheelers are a problem, for dirtbikes anyway, they make those stupid slow loopy lines in corners and everything turns to a whoop, even in the corners, I now believe that is a result of the tools rattling in the toolbox and compressing the suspension. The side by side fade is just ridiculous.

• Like 3

Screenshot_20170706-123006.thumb.png.7de472cd9d282e74376c53e3a442773d.png thus is from a 450yzf with 45 hours , 40 hours on the 250 and 80 on the 450 ron says , owners take notice, that's a rod change every piston

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, mog said:

Screenshot_20170706-123006.thumb.png.7de472cd9d282e74376c53e3a442773d.png thus is from a 450yzf with 45 hours , 40 hours on the 250 and 80 on the 450 ron says , owners take notice, that's a rod change every piston

he only has people around him that think wfo is the only way to ride and you need the most HP to win. Although he might the quintessential engine builder. when it comes to reliability he isn't who I would be looking to have do work. I know of engine builders that are his caliber and they thrive on destroyed engines. also charge 5k to split a head 4 ways and get max power out of it for one flat track feature. The people he has around him could have anything and most likely blow it to smithereens every other race. I practiced with people like that. I couldn't let them borrow one of my bikes because it would be ruined in a few laps. But for some odd reason I can run the fast laps right with them and for the most part beat them on stock equipment.  Corner speed is the reason engines blow. if your slow in the corners your hard on the straights trying to make up everything you just lost. Oh and shifting! People don't know how to shift or pick the correct gear. its mainly because they never raced an underpowered bike that made them work for it. ive looked at peak rpm meters after an engine blow a few times. the peak rpm was a 1000 higher than the race winner. 1 gear!

Just like racing the bike, its the rider not the bike when its grenading at low hrs.

• Like 7

2 hours ago, hondaman331 said:

I think where I'm at in Ohio I have been seeing a steady rise in bikes, but not new, and a quadruple increase in workman style 4 wheelers and side by sides. I talk to a lot of the people, the bike riders are usually mid-30s, haven't rode in 16 years...wanted to get back into it.... eventually you never see the guy again or he shows up with a new bike, gear and a thirst to learn how to ride better. Then you start seeing them at the track and off they go. The 4 wheelers are a problem, for dirtbikes anyway, they make those stupid slow loopy lines in corners and everything turns to a whoop, even in the corners, I now believe that is a result of the tools rattling in the toolbox and compressing the suspension. The side by side fade is just ridiculous.

The price of SxSs is crazy. And some of these powersports stores sell a lot of them. Even regular outdoors stores have ATVs and SxSs for sale around here. There are still some shops that have a lot of bikes, but trailriding and light weekend enduro type stuff is pretty much dominated by 4 wheels. Just think of all the companies that manufacture or market 4 wheelers & SxSs. People even use the bigger ones to plow their driveways and do yard work --maybe the utility excuse gives people the kind of justification they need to spend $10k++.

The bike grenaded due to a faulty injector dumping fuel in the oil , causing the lubrication to fail ( his words), nothing to do with the rider , You could ignore his advice I guess , I tend to listen to people who are around hundreds of failures and know the route cause , you can only lead a horse as they say

• Like 1

The bike grenaded due to a faulty injector dumping fuel in the oil , causing the lubrication to fail ( his words), nothing to do with the rider , You could ignore his advice I guess , I tend to listen to people who are around hundreds of failures and know the route cause , you can only lead a horse as they say

Good thing you don't own one then. Everybody knows Yamaha 450s are time bombs of death.
  • Like 4

4 hours ago, mog said:

So, in the mind of an OCP member a failure from gas in the oil equals a Yamaha problem? Even the exalted Ron says it was an oil related failure, not a component failure. I'm guessing Ron is similar to you in his illogical dislike of Yamahas to bring up something entirely unrelated to the cause of the problem as if they were co contributors. This is getting way too easy with all the straws you keep grabbing for. 

Didn't you say recently that being a failed Yamaha troll had run its course with you? Yet here you are, going all Squid on us. 

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, Wes79v said:

So, in the mind of an OCP member a failure from gas in the oil equals a Yamaha problem? Even the exalted Ron says it was an oil related failure, not a component failure. I'm guessing Ron is similar to you in his illogical dislike of Yamahas to bring up something entirely unrelated to the cause of the problem as if they were co contributors. This is getting way too easy with all the straws you keep grabbing for. 

Didn't you say recently that being a failed Yamaha troll had run its course with you? Yet here you are, going all Squid on us

He's like a crack head he can't get off that Yamaha pipe :smirk: 

• Like 4