tim2007

2018 Models Launch

176 posts in this topic

this is great news. I wonder how the new weights stack up against the orange bikes.

17 minutes ago, randysoo said:

this is great news. I wonder how the new weights stack up against the orange bikes.

I just bought a new 2017 KTM 250XCW.  The owner manual says weight is 220lbs without fuel.  Sounds like the Beta 2-strokes will be lighter than KTM??

2 hours ago, Roon said:

metric measurements are only confusing for some...for the rest of the world its very straightforward and consistent... even though we still deal with imperial measurements for things like tires...and wave heights....

what about the bike capacities ?....300cc as a 18.3 cu..sounds a bit lame...

That means the soon to be announced 125 would be a 7.6 cu and the 200 is a 12.2cu :-)

My understanding is the US military operates with metric measurements.....

I think we got that stuff from Great Britain right?  We lost a mars orbiter because of metrics.... http://www.cnn.com/TECH/space/9909/30/mars.metric.02/  Harley always said how many cubic inches something was but any bike I had was in ccs.  It's what ever you were brought up on.  We tried to go metric once and it was a big flop.  I have an app to figure it out.  I like ft. lbs. better than Newton Meters....  I had a '66 Corvette with a 365 hp 327 in it or I had a '66 Corvette with a 365 hp 5358 cc in it....doesn't sound right to me....?

I understand the ease of engineering to lose weight via the kickstarter, but I am one who found the need for it on a week long ride here recently when my one way sprag let go.

My current feel is the kick start was worth the weight for a few reasons:

#1- fun to ask KTM guys why they gotta pay for one after the fact...this is worth alot to me. :-) Competitive advantage in my opinion

#2- It's clear the one way sprag is not fault proof and not easy to replace

I would have preferred Beta stay different, not follow, as the easiest 10 lbs to lose in my set-up is currently typing on this forum.

Greg

3 people like this

1 hour ago, kenrenslow said:

I think we got that stuff from Great Britain right?  We lost a mars orbiter because of metrics.... http://www.cnn.com/TECH/space/9909/30/mars.metric.02/  Harley always said how many cubic inches something was but any bike I had was in ccs.  It's what ever you were brought up on.  We tried to go metric once and it was a big flop.  I have an app to figure it out.  I like ft. lbs. better than Newton Meters....  I had a '66 Corvette with a 365 hp 327 in it or I had a '66 Corvette with a 365 hp 5358 cc in it....doesn't sound right to me....?

Nah...

After WW2 even the Brits got it right.

The first MINI was an 850 .....

It would be cool if they made the race edition the same sort of colours as the 2015 factory evo, lovely bike. White frame and plastics, red anodised wheels, would look lush

factory_lat_2015.jpg 

1 person likes this

15 hours ago, silver_fox said:

Beta claims 2 stroke weight is 10.4 lbs lighter... which is close to 4.7 kg. 

Oops!

12 hours ago, Black-swan said:

It would be cool if they made the race edition the same sort of colours as the 2015 factory evo, lovely bike. White frame and plastics, red anodised wheels, would look lush

factory_lat_2015.jpg 

Yeah I agree the 15 Factory was the best looking Trials bike ever?

On the 18's

All the mechanical updates look great. Less weight, two injectors (more power) frame updates and a new clutch ? 

That clutch appears to be the one we used on Ty's last years EX race bike for awhile and it has really good feel. Also it's a smaller diameter and all steel. 

I can see taking the kickstart off the 4t. The fourstroke e-start has always been totally reliable for us.  They don't kickstart start anyways with a dead battery and the EFI bikes are hard to kick. We pull it off our race and practice bikes to save some weight. 

The two stroke on the other hand I believe should have stayed. We've had a wiring issue on the two strokes in the past. Never the starter itself. Also for dead engine starts to races we've done a lot of testing and it's faster to kickstart than use the e-start. 

Not sure what the deal is with losing the side number plates. Looks to be the style these days to make them smaller And smaller. Going to look kinda silly trying to put numbers on there. Hopefully the race models will have number plates. 

We'll be running the '18 bikes in the EX series starting in August. As good as last years race bike was working for Ty at the end of the year he really wanted to run the same bike (the race bike has less than 12 hours on it). However with all the updates of the 2018 Beta feels it would be more advantageous to ride the new bike. 

3 people like this

I really want to buy a RR300 the thing is do I wait for the new model or try and get a deal on the current. It looks like most of the weight is from the Kickstarter (which I would want) and the battery (which I have a lithium to throw in anyhow) is there really much else in it? I'm far from a gun rider guess I'm just trying to talk myself into buying one now

I really want to buy a RR300 the thing is do I wait for the new model or try and get a deal on the current. It looks like most of the weight is from the Kickstarter (which I would want) and the battery (which I have a lithium to throw in anyhow) is there really much else in it? I'm far from a gun rider guess I'm just trying to talk myself into buying one now

Get the 17' with the Kickstarter and throw your Lithium in. Save some cash.
2 people like this

What would be the expected savings? I would want to save at least $1000.

1 person likes this

39 minutes ago, YHGEORGE said:

Not having to buy a Kickstarter kit (if you wanted it) and maybe a leftover discount if there was one.    

1 person likes this

Posted (edited)

Kick starters are for girls too scared of a little roll start ;) 

Ya really don't need a kicker. Useless appendage...

Edited by Casing-daily
1 person likes this

Kick starters are for girls too scared of a little roll start  

Yep, easy to roll start when in a deep rut, bottom of a ditch.....
?
3 people like this

46 minutes ago, Casing-daily said:

Kick starters are for girls too scared of a little roll start ;) 

uh oh... pull  the string .... :smirk:

1 person likes this

13 minutes ago, BassMan said:

Yep, easy to roll start when in a deep rut, bottom of a ditch.....
?

Easy peasy. I rest my case ;)

7 minutes ago, Casing-daily said:

Easy peasy. I rest my case ;)

He's doing his Sycamore impression

I dont get to choose where the kids dump their bikes and I gotra rescue them.

What about the rekluse gals too huh?

1 person likes this

4 hours ago, YHGEORGE said:

Not likely. The dealer would be about giving it away at that price. 

Just got a dealer email saying the last shipment for the year has come in. Every limited quantity (they had been sold out)  No rebate from Beta. I'm guessing they'll go fast. 

1 person likes this