2018 Models Launch

58 minutes ago, Casing-daily said:

I just find it interesting how beta charges twice as much as Ktm/husky for the kickstart... It's because they know you guys have been touting for years how you won't ride without one :lol:

Different companies are different on prices for different parts..:excuseme: Beta is straight up cheaper anyway than ktm or husky in most places .. maybe all places?.. So if I bought an 18' Beta and paid for a kick starter kit it would still be cheaper here than buying a ktm that didn't have a kick starter on the bike. ..plus get a 6 month or 1 year warranty with the Beta.

but what do you care?? you purposely bought a bike that has no option for a kicker. So what right?

Edited by hawaiidirtrider
On 7/29/2017 at 1:53 PM, Johnny Depp said:

Most likely the Racing Editions only this year.

Yep!  I called Beta in Paso Robles and they said only the RR bikes get it.  I'm sure They will be on the 19s.

On 7/29/2017 at 7:19 PM, newk75 said:

I've tried to read this whole thread so I hope I didn't miss this. The dual injection (future) has my attention. Any idea how this may effect millage? Imho beta could use a lift in the mpg dept. Would be nice to touch 50-60 mpg.

Sent from my SM-G930V using ThumperTalk mobile app

Less mileage means cooler running bike.  180 miles out of a 3 gal tank seems excessive anyway.  My understand it's not for mileage but for fuel tuning through different RPM ranges and more power.

To me big deal. Going far? Get a big tank.

53 minutes ago, 4Kracing said:

Less mileage means cooler running bike.  180 miles out of a 3 gal tank seems excessive anyway.  My understand it's not for mileage but for fuel tuning through different RPM ranges and more power.

Huh?

You will never get 60mpg out of a performance motorcycle.

30-40 is it, and that is trying.  

1 hour ago, 4Kracing said:

Yep!  I called Beta in Paso Robles and they said only the RR bikes get it.  I'm sure They will be on the 19s.

I doubt the RR-S models will ever get it.  The way they are typically used, it's just not needed.

21 minutes ago, THE KRAN said:

Huh?

My point is 50-60 mpg would require a very lean fuel mixture on a single cylinder 4 st dirt bike.  Not sure that would even be possible.  

9 hours ago, THE KRAN said:

I doubt the RR-S models will ever get it.  The way they are typically used, it's just not needed.

I'm pretty sure they will have it. I mean think about it, the only bikes they are building now that aren't duel injected are the US RR-S models for homogolation reasons and they're probably using left over parts for them. For ease of production it would be better if all bikes are the same. Besides it's better, no down side I can think of. 

Edited by ccullins
8 hours ago, THE KRAN said:

Huh?

Funny the 500exc's that I know all have better mileage then 40 consistently and without trying. Our 250 gets crazy mileage up near 60 and it's not babied. But I guess Betas are the only performance motorcycles!

People don't buy Beta's for the mileage but the overall package. Yes they can have better mileage.

35 minutes ago, weantright said:

Funny the 500exc's that I know all have better mileage then 40 consistently and without trying. Our 250 gets crazy mileage up near 60 and it's not babied. But I guess Betas are the only performance motorcycles!

People don't buy Beta's for the mileage but the overall package. Yes they can have better mileage.

250 IS NO BUENO in the hills. A stock 500exc is NO BUENO with the thottle response and overheating. 

With no hills or sand, yes, you can get more mileage.....but that's no fun....

Yea Pennsylvania has no hills. Yea Pennsylvania has no shale (similar to your sand). You're right like always. Damm I got to get to Ca or Hi just to learn something.

9 hours ago, weantright said:

Yea Pennsylvania has no hills. Yea Pennsylvania has no shale (similar to your sand). You're right like always. Damn,  I got to get to California just to learn something.

Duh!

Yea well those who know better are those that actually ride in those particular various places. Then they know what terrain and how difficult to ride. They know the comparison. I know that I shouldn't presume to know how it is in other places. I think we only know what we ride. People like Jimmy Lewis of dirtbiketest who have ridden around the world have a better grasp.

I do take notice from feedback from those that visit here and tell me how it is compared to where they ride. I also take note from local riders going abroad and giving their view of what riding is like compared to local riding. Other than that ? Just more chatter

Hello Guys,

I have a 3 gallon IMS tank on my 500 RR-S. With the compoents inside the tank, I could only get 2.8 gallons in it. That said I was able to get 130 miles  before I had to start leaning the bike over to get more gas from the splashing on one side of the tank. And was able to get 10 more miles out of it safely without starving the pump. Gearing 15x48 stock. Rode lite stick last 20 miles on a road.

Eddy

Edited by Tunaman1
On 8/1/2017 at 6:03 AM, THE KRAN said:

250 IS NO BUENO in the hills.

Not to get too far off-topic, but..

Back in the day we used to ride at a really radical fun place called 40-inch canyon.  It was named that way because only the big stripped-down triumphs with a good rider could barely make the main hill.  When I first rode there I was on an RM400 and it could barely make it - had to hit everything just right.  Later, my CR500 was the ticket, and could make it fairly easily - but not always.  Fast forward about 20 years and I'm on a YZ250....and it made it!  Some of my riding buddies couldn't believe it.

No bueno in the hills?   Ummm.

Here's a picture of that area...the line across the middle is me on an RM500 doing a side-hill run.

250's are pretty strong nowadays, esp if they're smokers or mx thumpers.

clearcreek2.jpg

Edited by kawagumby
bad grammar...argh!
2 hours ago, Tunaman1 said:

Hello Guys,

I have a 3 gallon IMS tank on my 500 RR-S. With the compoents inside the tank, I could only get 2.8 gallons in it. That said I was able to get 130 miles  before I had to start leaning the bike over to get more gas from the splashing on one side of the tank. And was able to get 10 more miles out of it safely without starving the pump. Gearing 15x48 stock. Rode lite stick last 20 miles on a road.

Eddy

This has made my decision for tank size. Definitely going with the 3 gallon for my 2018 MY 500 RR-S

On 7/31/2017 at 1:58 PM, Casing-daily said:

It's hilarious how beta knows they can charge the "If it doesn't have a kicker I won't ride it" guys anything they want for one and they will still buy it. 

I have had 3 races in just the last two years where something went wrong with the e-start. 1 time from an errent stick taking off my button when passing, 1 time after an endo down a hill and having the ground/negative connector break on the battery, and this weekend when the bindex gear was worn and my shifter snapped off on the shaft. I salvaged a 5th place running the last 3 miles in 2nd gear only 3 minutes ahead of 6 and 7 and maintained my points lead by 2. No kicker and I would be in 2nd place with 3 races to go. So don't tell me about not having a kicker as backup. It also means I can ride while waiting for a battery or other related starter parts. But hey, whatever floats your boat!

4 hours ago, BassMan said:

I have had 3 races in just the last two years where something went wrong with the e-start. 1 time from an errent stick taking off my button when passing, 1 time after an endo down a hill and having the ground/negative connector break on the battery, and this weekend when the bindex gear was worn and my shifter snapped off on the shaft. I salvaged a 5th place running the last 3 miles in 2nd gear only 3 minutes ahead of 6 and 7 and maintained my points lead by 2. No kicker and I would be in 2nd place with 3 races to go. So don't tell me about not having a kicker as backup. It also means I can ride while waiting for a battery or other related starter parts. But hey, whatever floats your boat!

My battery is showing signs of death.. just in the middle of my last ride the other day.. I'm going to try charging my shorai first  if I can just find my charger .. but it's been a few years now so it's sort of expected that it's time to change...great thing is my kicker. When my battery was weak and didn't turn over the bike I just kicked to start.. simple...  I just continue riding all day instead of a potential disaster being stuck miles in the trails. It's a non issue.I rode all day then now I'm either charging my battery or buying a new one. Simple.  All you guys without a kicker??? Sorry but it's just dumb. It's not bad if riding on the street or even track riding where close to the truck.. Everyone else purposely going into deep trail?? That's not smart at all. That push start alternative sucks ass to me. You can tell I think this weight loss trend to get rid of kickers is stupid. If I'd buy an 18 I'd buy a kicker too.. It does suck that it's extra now. I'd buy a 17 I think since it comes with .

Battery just died on me so my options were even clearer .

Oh and Bassman.. nice going!!! Riding the hell out of that Beta!! Congrats on having fun and doing well.:thumbsup: