Taylor Park area snow melt 2017

Heading to Taylor Park CO area next week to do some riding on the first of our twice a year "brocations" as the wife calls them. I was up there a little over 2 weeks ago in the 4Runner and there was still quite a bit of snow cover. Couldn't even make it from Pitkin to Tincup on 765.  Does anyone have the latest snow melt update?

Looks awesome TE300!! I can't wait until next week. Thanks everyone for the feed back.

Yeah, difference between Hartman rocks and high up in Taylor is huge. FYI. G

• Like 1

Is this an OHV area and do you need a pass or some such crap or can a street legal bike ride there w/o needing anything?

Here is some out-of-date info so you can get an idea of what the fuss is all about:

http://rickramsey.net/TaylorPark.htm

Street-legal bikes are ok on the roads, paved and dirt.  OHV sticker needed for riding the trails.

:ride:

8 hours ago, Notabiker said:

Is this an OHV area and do you need a pass or some such crap or can a street legal bike ride there w/o needing anything?

Here is a link to the USFS website that has the Motor Vehicle Use Maps for most of the area. OHV stickers are required, even on a street legal "tagged" bike, for most if not all trails in the Colorado USFS system. I also included a link for info on the OHV program.

Go check it out sometime, you won't be disappointed!

https://www.fs.usda.gov/detail/gmug/home/?cid=stelprdb5191814

http://cpw.state.co.us/buyapply/Pages/RegistrationsOHV.aspx

Ahh boy do I miss Alaska, off road only dirtbikes aren't even able to be registered so nothing is needed, though I was able to sweet talk the DMV lady into getting mine registered as a two wheeled atv (in case it was ever stolen I'd have documents) and regardless of what it is, you get an Alaska Snowmachine Decal..  I don't remember anyone even checking for atv registration during the 8 years I was there.  In ND if your bike was street legal then you could ride state trails as they didn't allow dual registrations (ie road plates and off road stickered).  I don't think they required anything in Californiastan either as long as the bike had current registration in its home state (offroad wise) but you had to buy a ohv parking pass..  Ahh the joys of learning each states vastly different laws just to ride courtesy of the USAF moving my wife around :D

30 minutes ago, Notabiker said:

Ahh boy do I miss Alaska, off road only dirtbikes aren't even able to be registered so nothing is needed, though I was able to sweet talk the DMV lady into getting mine registered as a two wheeled atv (in case it was ever stolen I'd have documents) and regardless of what it is, you get an Alaska Snowmachine Decal..  I don't remember anyone even checking for atv registration during the 8 years I was there.  In ND if your bike was street legal then you could ride state trails as they didn't allow dual registrations (ie road plates and off road stickered).  I don't think they required anything in Californiastan either as long as the bike had current registration in its home state (offroad wise) but you had to buy a ohv parking pass..  Ahh the joys of learning each states vastly different laws just to ride courtesy of the USAF moving my wife around :D

Yup I know what you mean. Good thing here is the money for the OHV program is supposed to go to trail projects, maintenance etc. Although it still is a constant battle to keep good trails open.

I have never seen anyone stopped for no OHV sticker but the first time I didn't have it with my luck there would be an OHV check point with no way around it.  If you are in some of the local towns in the area with no street tag you will get nailed, especially in Crested Butte or Aspen. There you can ride a mountain bike and disobey every traffic law on the books, but ride a dirt bike over the speed limit or without a tag and your day is sure to be ruined.

On 6/16/2017 at 2:30 PM, atwellg said:

Yup I know what you mean. Good thing here is the money for the OHV program is supposed to go to trail projects, maintenance etc. Although it still is a constant battle to keep good trails open.

I have never seen anyone stopped for no OHV sticker but the first time I didn't have it with my luck there would be an OHV check point with no way around it.  If you are in some of the local towns in the area with no street tag you will get nailed, especially in Crested Butte or Aspen. There you can ride a mountain bike and disobey every traffic law on the books, but ride a dirt bike over the speed limit or without a tag and your day is sure to be ruined.

We've had a lot of grief in Crested Butte but nobody has ever said a word in Aspen, even when we've had kids obviously too young to be riding on the street. Plated bike at the front, one at the rear and very carefully paying attention to speed, stops sign and such. 

It always surprised me, Aspen has a lot of people with real money and such, Crested Butte seems like it's all the nose stuck up in the air wannabees and profoundly stuck up mountain bike riders. 

• Like 1

We've had a lot of grief in Crested Butte but nobody has ever said a word in Aspen, even when we've had kids obviously too young to be riding on the street. Plated bike at the front, one at the rear and very carefully paying attention to speed, stops sign and such. 
It always surprised me, Aspen has a lot of people with real money and such, Crested Butte seems like it's all the nose stuck up in the air wannabees and profoundly stuck up mountain bike riders. 

Good news is even though there is still snow things are starting to open up. We were able to bust through Cumberland Pass and make it from Tincup to Pitkins. Bad news is my stator went out and had to coast into Pitkins. Garden Basin trail from Mirror Lake is blocked just short of the top.

Timberline from Dorchester Campground to Italian Creek is open. Will try for American Flag Mountain tomorrow. Timberline from Red Mt road to Pie Plant is also clear. All the creeks are running fast and full making for some interesting crosses.

As for Crested Butte, nothing has changed.

Do you mean Lily Pond from Dorchester to Italian creek?

Do you mean Lily Pond from Dorchester to Italian creek?

Yep sorry about that, Lilly Pond to Italian Creek is correct.

Lots of trees down. Lilly Pond to Star Lilly Connector open. Italian Creek crossing to continue on Lilly Pond is too deep and fast to cross. Star Lilly Connector was iffy. Star to Italian Creek Rd is impassable. Lots of drifts and downed trees. Had to turn back. Will see what we can get into tomorrow.

I will be in Crested Butte first two weeks of July and willing to help with some trail clearing. Is there a local club in the area ? 

Anyone know much about the main pass into Taylor Park (Cumberland pass maybe)? Last year when we went we heard it'd be closed all of 2017 season because they were going to pave it.

3 minutes ago, CR250_182 said:

Anyone know much about the main pass into Taylor Park (Cumberland pass maybe)? Last year when we went we heard it'd be closed all of 2017 season because they were going to pave it.

Cottonwood Pass is closed for paving for the year, so you will not be able to go west out of Buena Vista to Taylor Park. Instead you can take 742 (Taylor River Rd) out of Almont or if you are not pulling an rv or trailer you can take Cumberland Pass via Pitkins through Tincup which was opened up last week. Either of which adds about 45 min. when traveling from the east.

• Like 1