What type of chain?

My resident Honda expert recommends the renthal r-3 520 o ring chain for my crf250x. However I read this bike uses the "T ring" chain which is narrower than o ring. I never heard of this have any of you? What chain is everyone using and is it a 520 o ring?

I use DID 520VT2 chains on all of my bikes, it is a narrow ring chain that is the same size as the OEM chain on the CRF250X. And because of their long life they are cheaper than other chains. Bonus is the low maintenance, After eeach bike wash I spray a dry film lube on the chain. It will be dry for the next ride and doesn't attract chain wearing dirt.   

• Like 2

Best to stick to a 'narrow' sealed chain like the VT2 mentioned above by Chuck for proper case clearance.

There's also quite a difference in weight as well versus a regular O-ring chain.

• Like 1

Not sure I know what all the fuss is about. I ran a 520 o ring chain on my crf250x all day on Sunday and put about 100 miles on. No wear marks visible and the chains not even close to contacting the case. I think I'll stick with the renthal R-3 on this bike as it probably the best chain ever made.

• Like 1

I'm not a fan of O-ring type chains on 250s, mostly because of the the rolling resistance and weight disadvantage of the O-ring chains. Regular chains are always narrow, so clearance is not an issue.

I've always heard and read, that it is recommended sprockets and chain be replaced as a set.

In my experience the front sprocket is the weak link, so to speak, so there is no need for the added chain durability that an O-ring chain offers as once the front sprocket wears out...the entire driveline gets replaced.

8 hours ago, motonuttois said:

I'm not a fan of O-ring type chains on 250s, mostly because of the the rolling resistance and weight disadvantage of the O-ring chains. Regular chains are always narrow, so clearance is not an issue.

I've always heard and read, that it is recommended sprockets and chain be replaced as a set.

In my experience the front sprocket is the weak link, so to speak, so there is no need for the added chain durability that an O-ring chain offers as once the front sprocket wears out...the entire driveline gets replaced.

I agree, but a ring chain has  a so much longer life and lower maintenance than a non ring chain that they are far cheaper. I have about 3 years on my XR and the snail adjusters are still on the same mark, but the sprockets look like they should be replaced. So if two sprocket sets for a chain I'll have six years on the chain. Two years ago my 05 CRF250X finally got a new 520VT2 chain to replace the OEM ring chain.

i use the rental r3-2 chain ind it lasts forever. i replace front sprockets whenever the teeth start to hook over and it makes the rest of the drivetrain last much longer. 90 hours on the chain and i haven't even had to adjust it since installing. 

• Like 1

i use the rental r3-2 chain ind it lasts forever. i replace front sprockets whenever the teeth start to hook over and it makes the rest of the drivetrain last much longer. 90 hours on the chain and i haven't even had to adjust it since installing. 

On a crf250x?

On June 15, 2017 at 7:32 AM, CarmanCRF said:

Sounds like many riders are getting by just fine with just replacing the sprockets as they wear out, and not replacing the complete chain/sproket set. 

That's a lot cheaper and easier, I like it.

I'll still go with non-O-ring chain. I'm fine with giving up durability for less weight and less rolling resistance. For me I'll still be ahead since I've been changing the entire driveline every time a front started hooking its teeth.

Thanks Y'all

3 hours ago, motonuttois said:

Sounds like many riders are getting by just fine with just replacing the sprockets as they wear out, and not replacing the complete chain/sproket set. 

That's a lot cheaper and easier, I like it.

I'll still go with non-O-ring chain. I'm fine with giving up durability for less weight and less rolling resistance. For me I'll still be ahead since I've been changing the entire driveline every time a front started hooking its teeth.

Thanks Y'all

Sprockets often have a much shorter life than a chain so one or more replacements during the chain's life, and the counter  shaft seems to wear faster than even an aluminum rear. 

Many tests have shown that a ring chain doesn't use measurable more power than a non ring chain.  This is the same as the argument that the drag of disc brakes compared to drum brakes means they should not be used. Shaft seals and wheel bearing seals also have drag.
The weight difference is insignificant.

The OEM chain on the X is a T ring DID chain.

In spite of the extra cost for a ring chain the life cycle cost for a ring chain is a lot less than a non ring chain because of their longer life. The DID wear index for the VT2 is 3000, a base non ring chain is 100.

• Like 1