lectron has anyone here ever removed their lectron?

Hey guys. I am looking into getting a lectron carb.... just wondering if anyone here has ever bought a 38mm lectron and not liked it and took it off?

if you took it off, and have it just sitting in the shop...   what didnt you like about it?  why arent you running it?

Edited by cdf450

I had one and it was working ok. Kept dealing with a hanging idle so kept going 1/4 turn on the MR. This is with the newest Lectron and 4-2MR. In the mean time I got the RK-Tek head and was still dealing with the hanging idle. I was at home and kept taking the carb on/off to adj the MR when I decided to try the JDjetted Mikuni I already had. I had taken it off for the Lectron but I heard that the RK-Tek head made the bike run much better, which it did. More power at all levels. So I figured I'd give the Mikuni a try and it worked exactly the same as the Lectron now. But I believe there are much more fine tuning options with the Mikuni than with the Lectron. I'd adj the MR to get rid of the hanging idle then it would turn blubbery. I figured if the Mikuni was the same now I'd be able to fine tune it out easier and sell the Lectron to recoup most of my investment, which I did.

Lots of discussions around the smallish needle jet on the Mikuni (R-8) that makes one have to run a bigger pilot to compensate for it. But this then creates the blubbery low end so one tries to go down on the pilot, but then introduces the hanging idle. Seems the solve has been to go to the S-1 needle jet (next richer from the R-8) which allows for the smaller pilot. Since the S-1 allows more fuel at closed throttle it helps with the hanging idle and the smaller pilot will also help eliminate the blubbering at low throttle.

BTW, highly recommended the RK-Tek head :thumbsup:

• Like 5

I took it off my cr250 and yz250. I gained nothing from it on them. I had a TON  of experimenting on them with a keihen . 

Loved it in my 125sx  and it's on my tc150 now .i d hate to be messing with a mikuni!

• Like 1

Had a Lectron on a 150sx, never got it to work satisfactory. Fuel economy was a little better but performance wasn't as good . I tried 3 different metering rods only 1 worked ok but never as good as the Keihin. 

• Like 1

Ran them on big triples and you never get all 3 to act the same.  They were so dependent on the precision of the MR's, which  numbered the same acted different  That was years ago though....

Edited by highmarker

Hey guys. I am looking into getting a lectron carb.... just wondering if anyone here has ever bought a 38mm lectron and not liked it and took it off?

if you took it off, and have it just sitting in the shop...   what didnt you like about it?  why arent you running it?

Here is my experience over the past 6 years or so.. family of 2 strokes... Sold on metered rods because of the variation of terrain and temp.. changing in bikes jetting is simple... Changing 3 to 4 when the whole family goes sucks... For the kid racing with the smartcarb an no flooding has been beneficial...

300 xcw smartcarb 38 worked great and lectron 36 worked great...

Cr500 smartcarb 38mm worked great

15 150sx 36mm smartcarb... Works great with rod change

14 Yamaha yz144 ported/head cut lectron 36mm works fantastic... Better than when it was a 125 for some reason

Beta xtrainer 36 smartcarb ... Could never get it to work right

Yz85 and kx65 never could get the lectron to work right... They said it was hard because the engine was not big enough 28mm
Tried 5 different rods

Yz85 smartcarb 28mm works freekin awesome all altitudes and temps once set... Never have to jet any races or riding 3000 to 11000 150 hours on the bike... Did have to change the rod initially to lean out then what was sent..

• Like 1

I've got one on my '78 yz400. I love that thing. It came almost perfectly dialed in. I just had to richen it a quarter turn and it was golden. I got it back in late 2016. Great guys there, tons of help.

Has anyone noticed less low-end power when going to the Lectron? I bought an 09 300xc-w with a 36 Lectron. Coming from an 06 300xc with stock Keihin, the 09 just doesn't seem to have the initial power to loft the front end at slow speeds. I have to work more for that on the 09 than I did the 06.

Honestly, I'm not so sure it's even worth keeping it since I'm only riding in elevation less than about 1500'. I never really minded the jetting changes from winter to summer on the 06.

Edited by Dustin Brocato

I have one on my 250xc. Previous owner had installed the lectron prior to my purchasing, it came with a stock un used carb that came with the bike. I'm about to give the stock carb a try. 

99% of the time the bike runs well, but it has a bit of a low end gremlin I haven't been able to quite figure out yet, I'm going to give it a solid testing session in the next few months when I have time. It rides well enough now and my plugs look nearly perfect so it's not pressing. 

Basically if I am low in the RPM range, like real low, and I open the throttle to fast it just falls flat on it's face and bogs, doesn't die, but I am forced to let off the throttle and slowly open it up until it starts to go, then I can go to wide open throttle just fine. So it doesn't rear it's ugly head too often, but when it does it's annoying. 

I thought I would leave the lectron on the bike since this was my first 2 stroke bike since the late 90's and i didn't want to have to mess with jetting, but at the end of the day I'm either messing with jetting or adjusting this thing so what's the difference?

4 hours ago, kickstand_ktm said:

Basically if I am low in the RPM range, like real low, and I open the throttle to fast it just falls flat on it's face and bogs, doesn't die, but I am forced to let off the throttle and slowly open it up until it starts to go, then I can go to wide open throttle just fine. So it doesn't rear it's ugly head too often, but when it does it's annoying. 

Is the float level in the bowl? Or is it high? 

The guys at Lectron are supposed to be very helpful over the phone. Give them a call. 

I have had 2 KTMs with Lectron and neither did this. Love mine. 

Edited by Snopro753
Length

I think the older lectron, like from 5 years or older, where not as good. I think anything they've recently gotten it to the point now where they'll have it almost perfectly dialed in when they send it to you, or at least that's how it was with my carb.

I have one on my 250xc. Previous owner had installed the lectron prior to my purchasing, it came with a stock un used carb that came with the bike. I'm about to give the stock carb a try. 

99% of the time the bike runs well, but it has a bit of a low end gremlin I haven't been able to quite figure out yet, I'm going to give it a solid testing session in the next few months when I have time. It rides well enough now and my plugs look nearly perfect so it's not pressing. 

I thought I would leave the lectron on the bike since this was my first 2 stroke bike since the late 90's and i didn't want to have to mess with jetting, but at the end of the day I'm either messing with jetting or adjusting this thing so what's the difference?

With a lectron you only adjust the metering rod to change your mixture. With a conventional carb you've got jets and clips to adjust. Basically it's one thing to adjust as compared to 5 or 6 different things on a Mikuni or Keihin.

3 hours ago, Snopro753 said:

Is the float level in the bowl? Or is it high? 

The guys at Lectron are supposed to be very helpful over the phone. Give them a call. 

I have had 2 KTMs with Lectron and neither did this. Love mine. 

Not sure yet, so far it hasn't been so terrible that it has bothered me a ton, but I've done some small adjustments (it's been a while now so forgive me) on the power jet (about 1/4 turn richer) and it mostly eliminated or at least caused it to happen less frequently. I think adjusting the metering rod slightly richer for the bottom end may fix my issue. While at it i will check the float level, Not exactly sure where it should be, but overall the bike runs good except this little hick up. 

Most likely the power jet needs to be adjusted and/or reeds on becoming worn... Lectrons are very sensitive to reeds... I have replaced reeds that look fine and solved issues like that.. I would mess with the power jet... First right leans and left richens ... Go on qaurter turns ..

I think they have a line on the bowl where the fuel level should be, or at least the new ones do. They have see thru bowls.

• Like 1

I had a 36mm on a 2013 KTK200 and had problems with idle. It came with a 3-1 fuel rod. It would blubber bad and if you turned the fuel rod 1/4 turn leaner it would bog because it was way to lean. I tried a 3-2 3-3 ms-3 rods and could never get it right. All they need to make them better is a air screw that you can tweak.

3 hours ago, wwillf01 said:

Most likely the power jet needs to be adjusted and/or reeds on becoming worn... Lectrons are very sensitive to reeds... I have replaced reeds that look fine and solved issues like that.. I would mess with the power jet... First right leans and left richens ... Go on qaurter turns ..

I did mess with the power jet, turned it out a half turn, was too rich, brought it back a 1/4 and it's close. I will also check reeds when I have a chance (moving soon, so it's shelved for a bit)