Can I run a 2 stroke with low rpm's

I have a yz 85 and I showed my friend a video of me cong over some logs and he said it wasn't good to run low rpm's on a 2 stroke and you should only have low rpm's on a 4 stroke, is this true and I have a line of oil running down my exhaust at the end of a ride should I have higher revs and if so how high

• Like 2

If you want to run low Rpms that often it will be fine just make sure you are running good Coolant and the bike isn't over heating and try leaner jetting just by a hair to compensate for the low rpm and you won't have the oil on the end of the pipe anymore

• Like 2

Two strokes are perfectly happy running at lower rpm, even more so than four strokes. You need to run the correct oil, jetting, and spark plug for your style of riding but you won't hurt that 2 stroke lugging it. 

• Like 4

I have good coolant and the guys I got it from raced it until they got a bigger bike so it's wanting to run the rpms fairly high and I haven't messed with the jetting I got it a week or two ago

I run a 32-1 oil mixture with yamalube and a b. 10 spark plug
sounds good the only thing I would change is the jets by a tiny bit so you don't foul plugs out on the trails

Okay I'll have my dad help me I've never jetting a bike let alone seen someone jet a bike so me and my dad will probably have to look up what to do, and just have it run a bit leaner?

Yep just like 2 off whatever the stock jetting is on your bike not much, and it's super easy just full the carb and pull the bowl off and that's pretty much it

i mean if they raced it on a track they probs threw bigger jets into it to keep it cool and lubed. But if you say have a pipe on it look up the jetting specs for that pipe and jet it to there. Other than that hold'er wide thats what shes built for

I can't run it hard hard at my house were I rides too small to go faster than 25 or so so I can't run it on the pipe until I'm on the track or bigger area

Yz85 specifically does like the pipe just because it does not have a power valve but jetted correctly you can lug all day long without fouling a plug... JD jetting kit makes it super simple to jet... My son has ran is for 2 years 300 engine hours never fouled a plug desert racing, tight trails in the mountains and track....

If you know you'll be lugging a lot you can go one step hotter on the plug to a 9.  I'm a woods rider and depending on the bike I've run one step hotter plugs with good results.  My '90 KX125 called for a 10 but I always ran a 9 in it no matter where I was riding.

Edited by redrider144

8 minutes ago, Hunter743 said:

I ride fields tracks and trails

I'd say you'd still be good with a 9 unless you're running wide open throttle for extended periods, especially if you're getting spooge.

Okay, will finding the right jetting be hard

It's not hard for a certain area... My experience was the JD jetting kit allowed the bike to be ran in varied environments and temps without issue... For instance I could run the same set up and just change the main jet going from the desert to the mountains... With the stock Yammy set up I was changing clips and main jets to have it run like I wanted...

If you can run that 85 at lower rpm's in technical areas, it's a good thing. It's called throttle control and a very important skill.  As others have said, you could probably clean the jetting up a little or possibly try one step hotter plug. Make one adjustment at a time. 

Google "Spankys jetting guide" and read it with your dad. It will make things very clear for you.

good luck

I was just riding in my front yard and it wanted to day if I wasn't on the pipe and was jerky in the power band

I'm starting to think I need to put in a new spark plug