FCR-MX Throttle Valve

I am in the process of freshening up the carb on my pig (FCR-MX41) and decided to bite the bullet and replace the throttle valve while I am at it. I had a hard time paying $90 for a thin piece of metal with a rubber seal so I decided to check all of the OEMs to see if the price varied from one manufacturer to the other (the internals in FCR-MX carbs are the same from OEM to OEM so it pays to shop around). Here's the best prices that I found: Honda - $90; Yamaha - $120; Suzuki - $185; and Kawasaki $57... for the EXACT same part! So, needless to say, I now have a Kawasaki throttle valve in my carb. It pairs nicely with the Yamaha needle and Honda jets. Add to that the Suzuki forks and I have all of the Japanese OEMs represented. I figure that's at least $100 of beer money SAVED!

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, ThumpNRed said:

I figure that's at least $100 of beer money SAVED!

no such thing as saving money when you own a dirtbike  :banghead:

PART# 

Geeezzzzz   we gotta tell you everything don`t we..

:lol:

I know a guy that needs one badly...mine is still good,but his is worn badly.

Hey,,question,did you have a snapping,popping rattle shit come from it at idle on every stroke???????   his does that with the on/off vacuum pulse..

B

• Like 1

1 hour ago, brianhare said:

PART# 

Geeezzzzz   we gotta tell you everything don`t we..

:lol:

I know a guy that needs one badly...mine is still good,but his is worn badly.

Hey,,question,did you have a snapping,popping rattle shit come from it at idle on every stroke???????   his does that with the on/off vacuum pulse..

B

Yes... it was noisy. Click, click, click. I had a clicker, not a thumper. :)

pn is 16025-0009. Let me know if you need help getting one. I know a guy :)

• Like 2

5 hours ago, ThumpNRed said:

Yes... it was noisy. Click, click, click. I had a clicker, not a thumper. :)

pn is 16025-0009. Let me know if you need help getting one. I know a guy :)

his is doing that too...sometimes stalls because of it at idle too...

thanks boss..

B

5 hours ago, CongoXR650L said:

Wow, Partzilla's got that Part # listed for $41.32 (USD) - crazy!! I know some of you guys are in Canada, but just say'n.

I bought mine at the local bike shop. It's worth paying a few extra bucks to keep their doors open.

• Like 1

Even if the dealers did match online pricing , they still make money. They're not paying what you and I pay. It's just greed.

1 hour ago, JoeRC51 said:

Even if the dealers did match online pricing , they still make money. They're not paying what you and I pay. It's just greed.

The local shop here gives frequent flyers a bit of a discount on OEM parts. They have also been a local fixture for a loooong time. I couldn't imagine them not being here. They have fed several of my riding buddies over the years.

Have any of you guys tried out the "improved" throttle valves that kmb321 sells on eBay? Here's his blurb on them:

"These are updated versions that won't break like the stock units. They are many times stronger and hard clear anodized for a long service life. I designed these parts and had them CNC machined out of billet 6061 T6 aluminum. The stock units tend to break and the pieces run through the engine, sometimes bending expensive valves."

It sounds like a good idea, but if he claims that his are harder than the OEM part, my concern would be that the carb might actually wear instead of the plate...

Any thoughts? Is this a valid concern?

IMG_6030.PNG

I would have the same concern....I have slight carb body wear from wheels of slide.
Another concern is the "clear" anodizing....mine does show slight wear behind black finish so I can easily see the wear as it increases.
Just concerns, I'm always open to improvement especially if it's a few bucks

On 6/14/2017 at 1:16 AM, CongoXR650L said:

Have any of you guys tried out the "improved" throttle valves that kmb321 sells on eBay? Here's his blurb on them:

"These are updated versions that won't break like the stock units. They are many times stronger and hard clear anodized for a long service life. I designed these parts and had them CNC machined out of billet 6061 T6 aluminum. The stock units tend to break and the pieces run through the engine, sometimes bending expensive valves."

It sounds like a good idea, but if he claims that his are harder than the OEM part, my concern would be that the carb might actually wear instead of the plate...

Any thoughts? Is this a valid concern?

IMG_6030.PNG

I read somewhere (cant remember where) that there were significant issues with those plates.I cant remember (much) if it was carb wear or catastrophic failure, but it was bad enough to make me wave off and stay with the OEM stuff.

On 6/14/2017 at 6:06 AM, Red800rider said:

I would have the same concern....I have slight carb body wear from wheels of slide.
Another concern is the "clear" anodizing....mine does show slight wear behind black finish so I can easily see the wear as it increases.
Just concerns, I'm always open to improvement especially if it's a few bucks

Do you grease the wheels on the slide? I put a light coat of white grease on the roller axles. or.... just dont accelerate so much! :)

I read somewhere (cant remember where) that there were significant issues with those plates.I cant remember (much) if it was carb wear or catastrophic failure, but it was bad enough to make me wave off and stay with the OEM stuff.

Good to know.