I might need some help from the Australian or European riders on this, sense they got these bike for a lot longer than we did here in the USA. I have read though the factory service manual and Cant find an answer. I can't even find a good wiring Diagram that shows all the wires. What is the neutral safety switch in the left side of the case doing on a WR200R.  Its kick only. There is no switch on the clutch. It starts in gear or out. How could I test it? Is it an on off, or resistance switch?  The exact same part is on Many models of Yamaha but most are electric start.  I have a thought that maybe it isn't working correctly and now I'm wondering if it has anything to do with why my electric power valve isn't working. Could the cdi not allow the power valve servo to work if it always thinks it is in neutral?  I would sure appreciate it if someone  could help.

Thanks 

Jarod

Don't know the answer but could it be for a neutral light on the speedo cluster unit so the rider knows when its in neutral or not like some road bikes have?

Thanks for the idea. From the factory this bike only came with a reset-able odometer. I guess it could be a left over from being designed to be imported in other countries with different lights and gauges. I wish I knew for sure.

Thanks

Jarod

Not to sound like a backyard mechanic, but there is always the "unplug it and see" option. On the YZ, the neutral switch backs off timing I believe for sound emissions. Many do away with it. So considering the engine was a street engine overseas, it's very possible that it disables the servo to keep the exhaust port low thus db lower in neutral.

.....just a thought

I bought a new switch today. I will most likely change it, but I think I will try unpluging it first. I never realized the yz's had a neutral safety switch.  I guess I'm not very observant.

thanks

Jarod

So, power valve still doesn't work with neutral safety switch unhooked.  I put the new switch in and it still doesn't work.  I guess now I just wait until I find another bike to swap parts with.  Anyone know how to test a smoothing condenser?

Jarod