Best mods for 2016 450 sx-f

Bought a new '16 450 sx-f last week (6hrs new) and I'm sorely disappointed with the suspension. Still lost as to weather to have Factory Connection, Corey at ProTune, NOST N10Z valves, Ohlins cartridges, or pony up for cone valves. But suspension aside what are some important mods for this bike? My bike has a full ti FMF 4.1 exhaust but with stock mapping. I'm getting some popping on deceleration and was wondering if this means I need the it reprogrammed and if there is a company that has a really good setting for these bikes.  I'm getting the following upgrades:

-neken sfs upper triple clamp

-7602 brake lever tip

-wider shifter

-motostuff 280mm big brake kit

-nihlo grip tape

-cycra full armor skid plate

-msr SS rear sprocket (not sure what size to get for mx purposes)

-DID vt2 chain

-Moto Seat ribbed seat cover

-Gutz phantom seat foam

-Ride Engineering steering stabilizer adapter and Honda HPDS damper

Any other recommendations? I'm an intermediate mx racer and race worcs and d37 at the expert level. 

Get rid of the stock linkage...You'll save a lot of time, money and frustration.

I've tried the SDI and the PC, I prefer and use the PC and know many others that do too.

Brian at n2dirt has a knuckle that mimics the PC that allows you use the stock arm (I think???)

http://www.n2-dirt.com/?product=ktm-husky-link-knuckle-15-5-sx-sxf-fc-tc

Just my .02

Edited by yzrider53
  • Like 1

Had Corey at ProTune do the forks on my '16 450, very happy with the results and very fair pricing.

I had Pro Tune do my fork & shock. I revalved the fork 3 or 4 times with his input, 5 or 10 times on my own.......gave up on the forks and installed some used cone valves. Had to revalve the cone valves to get them where I wanted. Factory Connection valving on the cone valves sucked. All they do is look at a chart and valve from there, very disappointed in FC. The  Pro Tune shock was a little plusher than stock, but not a lot.

I ended up replacing the link with a PC and a revalved Ohlins replaced the Pro Tune modified shock. I haven't rode any KTM  that was better.

A former WORCS 4-stroke expert champion rode it and told me it was the best suspended KTM he had ever rode....But he went over to the dark side and rides Yamaha's now!

The best 4cs I ever rode had the MXTech assymetric kit installed. VERY plush, but a little loose. No bottoming what so ever. Plusher than the cone valves at slow to 60% pace, not near as good as the cone valves when you push hard.

Cone valves DO NOT like to work at slower pace. The harder you ride them, the better they feel, but if you get tired and slow down they start to get harsh.

On 6/15/2017 at 11:10 PM, Scoott said:

I had Pro Tune do my fork & shock. I revalved the fork 3 or 4 times with his input, 5 or 10 times on my own.......gave up on the forks and installed some used cone valves. Had to revalve the cone valves to get them where I wanted. Factory Connection valving on the cone valves sucked. All they do is look at a chart and valve from there, very disappointed in FC. The  Pro Tune shock was a little plusher than stock, but not a lot.

I ended up replacing the link with a PC and a revalved Ohlins replaced the Pro Tune modified shock. I haven't rode any KTM  that was better.

A former WORCS 4-stroke expert champion rode it and told me it was the best suspended KTM he had ever rode....But he went over to the dark side and rides Yamaha's now!

The best 4cs I ever rode had the MXTech assymetric kit installed. VERY plush, but a little loose. No bottoming what so ever. Plusher than the cone valves at slow to 60% pace, not near as good as the cone valves when you push hard.

Cone valves DO NOT like to work at slower pace. The harder you ride them, the better they feel, but if you get tired and slow down they start to get harsh.

I've heard this from multiple people now. I've decided to go with Steve at NOZ supension and have him drop in some of his N10Z cartridges. 

I would be curious to hear what you think of them. I tried some mods by peter russel on my cone valves, some good-some not so good traits. Still tinkering.

3 hours ago, Scoott said:

I would be curious to hear what you think of them. I tried some mods by peter russel on my cone valves, some good-some not so good traits. Still tinkering.

What mods? Care to elaborate on the good and not so good traits? 

Any fork mods that put base compression valves (BCV's) in you will be pleased with compared to stock and it won't cost you much. Million threads on here about this guy, that guy, $1,000 here, there...
For 500 bucks or less you should be able to get a revalve with BCV's. Enzo, Race Tech, etc. and the clickers will actually work!
Bike is lean, richen TPS, bunch of threads on this topic.
Best advice and will cost you pennies...bigger cam for throttle.

On 6/13/2017 at 1:02 AM, digarcia1987 said:

Bought a new '16 450 sx-f last week (6hrs new) and I'm sorely disappointed with the suspension. Still lost as to weather to have Factory Connection, Corey at ProTune, NOST N10Z valves, Ohlins cartridges, or pony up for cone valves. But suspension aside what are some important mods for this bike? My bike has a full ti FMF 4.1 exhaust but with stock mapping. I'm getting some popping on deceleration and was wondering if this means I need the it reprogrammed and if there is a company that has a really good setting for these bikes.  I'm getting the following upgrades:

-neken sfs upper triple clamp

-7602 brake lever tip

-wider shifter

-motostuff 280mm big brake kit

-nihlo grip tape

-cycra full armor skid plate

-msr SS rear sprocket (not sure what size to get for mx purposes)

-DID vt2 chain

-Moto Seat ribbed seat cover

-Gutz phantom seat foam

-Ride Engineering steering stabilizer adapter and Honda HPDS damper

Any other recommendations? I'm an intermediate mx racer and race worcs and d37 at the expert level. 

I put the Ride Engineering linkage on my 2016 350 and it made a HUGE difference...the back felt like it sat too high and the linkage fixed that perfectly.  Other than that my NOST suspension is by far the best mod I did....Pete has my forks dialed, so stoked on the results.

I skipped all the potential pissin around with the forks and put Dal Soggio Spheres in... Convinced a couple people to do the same and the results have been more than excellent..The PC linkage is a winner too! 

can someone link me the pc linkage? 

bought a stock 16 450 and the 4cs was worse then having two sticks as forks....had Mike at MP1 here in Canada do them and he replaced the whole 4cs system with a better one, works really good and is a lot more stiff, more aggressive woods set up, over the past weekend i met up with this guy who had a 15 450XCF and his 4cs was bone stock with over 100 hours on em, we traded bikes and we started going at a pretty good pace, his forks were amazing and i was blown away by the stock 4cs stuff. it was buttery smooth and if the front wheel dipped and i hit a bump it sucked it right up, he commented on mine and said they were really stiff, i may get my guy to re do them a bit softer i think. over all pretty good.

I'm going with NOST and started a thread in the suspension forum documenting my experience. I sent it off already and  I'll have it back on Friday 7/7/17 and start testing the following day 

• Like 1