Easily change fork oil - Sachs Forks

Want to change my fork oil as I have the forks out while doing head stem bearings.

Have never done fork oil before and hoping someone can tell me an easy way? I have read the Sachs fork manual and it looks like I need to pull shock apart to do it.

I read somewhere else take air screw out and drain it out. Then syringe it in.

The bit confusing me is the Sachs manual says, Measure out 533cc of fork oil for the 2T and pour 2/3 in. Then lower rod and tube - set at 130mm for 2T - What does the 130mm mean? How do I measure that?

In the Beta manual - oil quantity (from the top, without spring and with fork compressed) ...130 mm

With these forks do I need to bleed Air out every now and then, I have never done it..... 120 hours...

Any help welcome..

ah forgot.. Do I need one of these tools on the sachs?
Fork Oil Level Tool
For checking and adjusting the oil level on all conventional and single chamber cartridge forks
https://www.motionpro.com/product/08-0121

Here's the easy way:

1. Undo the cap.
2. Unscrew the top bit (you can just use an adjustable wrench to hold the rod in place while you unsurew the top).
3. Pour out the fork oil. Leave the fork upside down draining for an hour.
4. Make sure it's really all out.
5. Use that motion pro tool to make sure it's 123mm or whatever from the top. It'll become a lot more clear when you get the tool but basically you overfill and then use it to suck up the excess until you get to Xmm from the top.
6. Put it back together.

I don't think this gets everything inside all clean and new but it's the quick and dirty way to change your fork oil.
  • Like 1

The Motion Pro tool is nice but if not available it is easy to make. I have used a turkey baster to adjust the level for years; just secure a piece of tubing to the suction end and use a zip tie to mark the tube at the prescribed height and lower it into the fork tube down to the zip tie, then use it to suck out the excess oil which will take it to the level needed. Any large syringe will do the same thing and may be better but the baster has worked for me for about 30 years or more.

• Like 3

I use a large syringe with a bit of tubing jammed onto the end. Tape the tubing to something hard and strait (maybe a thing wood dowel) mark on the dowel whatever level you need (130mm say) dip it into the top of the fork to the line on the dowel and suck up the extra oil. Easy as pie. Of course you need to take the spring out to set the oil level.

Thanks a lot for the help. That's cleared it up for me.

keepshoveling - Sounds like a good way to do it. Thanks for the step by step.

Now to make a fork oil tool, the Turkey Baster method sounds like a winner.  :thumbsup:

Did the fork oil change last night.  I also installed Air Bleeders. The oil was the original and was really black (5000km).

By the time I got home from work I couldn't get a Turkey Baster. So I measured what come out and it matched the Sachs Fork Manual (530mm), when I topped the fork up I also checked with a tape measure and it was spot on 130mm.

I used Motorex 5W Racing Fork Oil.

IMG_4995.JPG

IMG_4999.JPG

IMG_5014.JPG

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Jabiru said:

Did the fork oil change last night.  I also installed Air Bleeders. The oil was the original and was really black (5000km).

By the time I got home from work I couldn't get a Turkey Baster. So I measured what come out and it matched the Sachs Fork Manual (530mm), when I topped the fork up I also checked with a tape measure and it was spot on 130mm.

I used Motorex 5W Racing Fork Oil.

IMG_4995.JPG

IMG_4999.JPG

IMG_5014.JPG

So, how does it feel?

Today was test day :ride:

The front end felt so damn good. I am going to definately do this more often. I need to make a few adjustments on the clickers and rebound as I go..