Basic Maintenance for Showa

When I bought my poorly running 06 CRF450R I did a rebuild of shock with pivot works kit. I also did forks with OEM bushings and seals both with maxima oil (5 and 3wt). It's been @9 months and the last 4 I've made solid improvements. Now I consider myself almost a D rider lol. I plan to do a suspension oil change during next "bye" weekend (mx). Really just to guage oil health as I've habitually bottom front and rear landing on faces. My plan is to replace shaft seals, dust covers and fluids. In addition to measuring spring rate and documenting current stacks. My question is, should that short parts list be adequate?

If they've never been serviced, figure the forks inner ICS piston seals are most likely shot.

Both bikes I've serviced from that 'era'  (an '07 and '08) had bad seals and have read it sort of a common flaw in this design.

Nope, those seals have to be purchased thru specialized suspension component vendors; Race Tech, Factory Connection etc.

And versus KYB pistons, these Showa pistons are quite tricky to remove the old seal from.

1 hour ago, Red800rider said:

Hmmm...saw a video on that I believe. I just did the all balls in front and I don't believe that seal was included

Edited by mlatour

Now that I've watched that video again I know they didn't get replaced and rod extended fully.
Maybe I'll put that on the "to do" list. Really hoping just to do oil replacement and inspection without separating upper and lower, cause then I'll definitely need bushings. The suspension has JM Racing stickers on it, no idea what was done to them. I just made sure it was in riding condition when I went into them. Now I wanna know what my stacks are made of so I can start getting her really dialed. Think I'll have to wait until rebuild for that.