300exc or 350-500 4 stroke?

None of the above, stay with the 150 unless you're racing then imo I would go the 350.

None of the above, stay with the 150 unless you're racing then imo I would go the 350.

Just casual riding with my mates but everyone has 250f's and bigger 2 strokes

As you should know the 150 is going to be a lot more fun to ride especially for fun. I raced a 250xcfw (ht 310 bb) and was faster than my 200exc but I was racing for titles back then, didn't mind the lack of fun. The 200s a good choice but no 17 model.

Riding sandy firetrails, dunes and the occasional singletrack what would be the best option, coming off a 2014 150sx

You're in the 2-T forum asking if you should buy a 4-T.
That's like being in the I like blondes forum asking if you should date a brunette
250xc is my vote but if you can, keep the 150 for the fun technical stuff and buy a 500 to plonk around with the family.
Kinda like having the crazy blonde that rocks your world and the brunette that keeps you grounded.
  • Like 1

I'd stick with a 2 stroke since that's what you're familiar with. With that said, I don't think you really need a 300. I haven't ridden a 150sx, but I've ridden a husqvarna WR125 with a 144 kit. The jump from that WR125 to an EXC200 was huge. Way more power down low than the 144. If I were you I'd look for for a 200 or 250 EXC/XC.

I would go with a 4 stroke. Probably the 500 if it was me. I like 2 strokes better but if you aren't riding in tight knarly terrain then I would go 4 stroke. Chris Birch said if the terrain is 1-7 he would want a 4 stroke then 7-10 a 2 stroke. As far as challenging goes. Sounds like for your riding its more open faster stuff so 4 would be a smoother ride with good power.

• Like 1

I had a 300EXC 2-smoke and it was just about too much bike for me in the woods (6'01" 235lb). I sold it and slid over to an RFS 450EXC 4-stroke and am very pleased overall.

17 hours ago, Onzalimey said:

I would go with a 4 stroke. Probably the 500 if it was me. I like 2 strokes better but if you aren't riding in tight knarly terrain then I would go 4 stroke. Chris Birch said if the terrain is 1-7 he would want a 4 stroke then 7-10 a 2 stroke. As far as challenging goes. Sounds like for your riding its more open faster stuff so 4 would be a smoother ride with good power.

my sentiments exactly.

the 350 sounds perfect for ya

I had a 300EXC 2-smoke and it was just about too much bike for me in the woods (6'01" 235lb). I sold it and slid over to an RFS 450EXC 4-stroke and am very pleased overall.

I loved my 06 450exc but after putting myself on a better nutrition plan and losing 70#'s (5'11" 185 now) the 250 smoker is WAY more fun.
Think mountain bike with a motor
  • Like 1

I loved my 06 450exc but after putting myself on a better nutrition plan and losing 70#'s (5'11" 185 now) the 250 smoker is WAY more fun.

Haha you misunderstand; 6'01" and 235 IS my nutrition plan; I'm a career fireman...bodybuilding for a purpose. A 400lb flat bench is a necessity in what I do; I'm a 32" waist.

I was lighter when I raced semi-pro downhill mountain bikes, but still 200lbs; that's why it never bothered me to ride a 46lb sled (my Intense was a beast, but it was solid!).
  • Like 1

Haha you misunderstand; 6'01" and 235 IS my nutrition plan; I'm a career fireman...bodybuilding for a purpose. A 400lb flat bench is a necessity in what I do; I'm a 32" waist.

Sorry man, I still get stuck in the old BMI crap. Lol!!
Still need to be reminded that scales and numbers don't mean squat to a persons over all fitness.
Hell, chart still says I'm overweight

I do miss that 450 for the long dual sport type rides though.
  • Like 1

my sentiments exactly.
the 350 sounds perfect for ya

So leaning towards a 350 is a good idea? Would it pull well through the dunes? Ive read their a great all round bike but is there more point in just getting the 450?

I would go 500. The weight difference is like 8lbs with a lot more power and apparently better low end power on the 500. I would also imagine it is less high strung and would last longer.

Thanks for the advice guys. Thinking of just keeping the 150 and maybe just making it better for the bush instead of forking out thousands on a new bike