Need spark plug application help ASAP CR500R

Bike is 2001 CR500R

normally running the NGK BR8EG, book calls for EG or EV

Rocky mountain says I can run a Iridium BR8EIX.  I ask NGK and this is there response below.

"I am not sure that you would want to sub a EIX plug for a EG, the difference is that on the EG the ground electrode is a low projection ground type. Using a IX could cause ground contact issues."

So is anyone running this plug in a CR500R ??

When I put it in they looked very close but now I think I may need to take it out and measure.  It sure didn't look longer, at least not enough to cause me to look that close?

Any help is appreciated.  Going to Florence in a couple days, don't want spark plug issues.

Edited by ramjetV8

53 minutes ago, ramjetV8 said:

Bike is 2001 CR500R

normally running the NGK BR8EG, book calls for EG or EV

run the ES - save heaps of money - take a few spares with you

A es is the cheapest route. Eg better, ev is better still, gold pallidum center electrode, eix is the irdium version.

they all have the same reach. 

A projected tip type works well on the stock head. Like a bp series.

ok thanks, NGK just looked in their application and have verified the BR8EIX works, I never seem to find the EV so I always ran the EG.  I had a EIX new so I put it in, just wanted to be sure it was ok to use it.  Have not started it yet.  They claim the EIX ground is a little farther in the comb chamber, sure doesn't look like much farther.  Bike is stock.  Next time I will go back to the EG or if I can find a EV maybe that one.  Also I have the EIX in my 98 CR250R, didn't know it was a tiny bit deeper and it works fine so far 30+ hrs.

Edited by ramjetV8

Still would like to hear from anyone else running the BR8EIX in a stock CR500

I have ran, at one time or another, about version of a 8 heat range in a cr500. I have never seen trouble out of Any of them. be it a ix,  or a v, or a g, or a s. Personally i like the v plugs. But again have found the projected tip version to work quite well in them.

Edited by Byron909

8 hours ago, Doug Coleman said:

I run the BR8ES & EG in mine. Never ran a EV.

Have done the same since '86 in mine. Perfect.

Ok Thanks BYRON909, only one to actually answer the question LOL...   I ran it last night with the EIX ran fine, seemed to idle a little better is about all I noticed so far.  On a happy note our dealer wanted as much for a G as I can get IX for online.  And no on one town had the V.  The IX is also the spec plug for Renault Fuego whatever that is LOL...

For what it is worth when i picked up my new to me 500 i put an iridium plug BR8EIX.  I had been running them in my street bikes for a few years and was kind of on an iridium plug kick.   I never had a problem while running it however i don't think there was any benifit and they are a good bit more expensive so i quit.  

the guru over on the 500 forum says the EIX don't work well in cr's with digital ignitions and fail with low hrs.  I still have stock 500 ignition in my bike so i can't vouch but if i was going to take anyones word on the matter it would be Roosti's :thumbsup:

Edited by subxero