2001 DRZ400s hesitation/surge low in throttle range

I have 2001 DRZ400s that I just re-built the carburetor (Mikuni CV) on.  I cleaned the carb, replaced all jets, needle, and o-rings with All Balls rebuild kit.  I set the float height at 13mm per the manual.  I set the fuel/air mix screw at 2 3/4 turns.  Bike is completely stock.  The bike has a stock pipe, stock air box (no 3x3 mod), stock jetting.  The bike starts easy, idles great, and runs good when heavy on the throttle.  When low in the throttle range it hesitates/surges.  It is really noticeable when shifting from 1st to 2nd and just cruising about 45 mph in 5th gear.  There is a slight pop on deceleration, but not bad.  Any ideas where the problem might be?  Thanks in advance.

if its not been actually rejetted i would do that .. also imo, messing with the float generally isnt necessary, if you went in the lean direction especially i'd put that back ..

• Like 1

Follow-up: I replaced the All Balls brand needle with the oem needle and it made a big improvement. Then I removed spring from the Coast Enricher and it runs great.

Your running lean on the needle then . I've never removed the coasting enrichment circuit , shouldn't need to plus it'll stop the popping when letting up at higher rpms. You just need to get the other settings correct.

• Like 1

Everything else is stock. Do you think fuel mix screw needs adjusting? I thought it only played a role at idle. Thanks for the help.