Cleaning crank?

If you're talking dirt, dust, lint, etc, then I would personally clean it as good as I could with compressed air, then drain and refill it with oil a couple times, start the motor and bring it up to temp, change the oil again, replace the filter, pull the cover and clean the strainer.  Maybe not the best way, but that's what I would do.

I would shop vac out as much as i could before i did anything, and then use compressed air in a clean area and spray out as much as possible.

• Like 2

On 6/13/2017 at 10:53 AM, aray7654 said:

I just bought an 08 250R that had the top end off. The motor sat in a crate for a couple years and it has some debris in the crank. Is there any way to clean this without splitting the cases?

If you have the motor out of the bike on the bench, with the top end off,  its literally a few case screws an hour of work, and new gaskets,  to split the cases and clean it out.

Edited by nesc103y

On 6/20/2017 at 7:16 AM, nesc103y said:

If you have the motor out of the bike on the bench, with the top end off,  its literally a few case screws an hour of work, and new gaskets,  to split the cases and clean it out.

An hour of work?  That's not realistic at all, regardless of your level of experience.  It could easily take an hour to simply scrape off the old gaskets alone.   

Edited by mossman77
  • Like 1