So when I'm riding my '98 200M/XC nothing seems wrong until you hit the powerband in 3rd and 4th gear. It seems like the engine is hitting a rev limiter, it's going full throttle and then dies and then back to full and dies. But as soon as it gets out of 3rd and 4th and I go into 5th, 6th, 2nd, or 1st, it's perfectly fine. Does anyone know what's causing this?

Sounds like its starving for fuel, the brief moment it cuts out your carb delivers a small amount of fuel and then starves again at WFO.

Check float level, petcock, and fuel filter. Remove, and flush tank. Blow compressed

air backwards through the petcock. Remove gas cap first!

• Like 1

Go up a long gradual hill the try to duplicate the problem

Concentrate on the gear, the rpms and the throttle positon.

Some combination of those will duplicate the issue in EVERY gear.

Then you can narrow it down.

Burbbling, stumbling, and stalling is rich.

Kill button type stalling is lean. Very.

• Like 1

Don't know if this helps but this problem only just started. This bike sat for 2 years when I got it and I was amazed to see it started and drove. So this problem started after riding it for 4 months and I haven't changed anything recently except for my sprocket seal. It also seemed to be smoking more than usual, but I run 40:1 so I always see smoke. Thanks so far

Check your float height and inlet rubber needle valve. If it has been sitting you could have issues there. Remember these bikes usually run better with a lower float height than the manual says.