Float set on YZ250x

From my recent posts I've been talking about fouling plugs and jetting, hotter plugs etc..... Last night I decided to take a look at my float height just to see if that may have been my culprit.  I got the carb off easily and was looking at the manual for float height measurement and want your thoughts on setting proper float height.  I'd always measured float height by angling the carb 45 degrees or so and looking at the float needle where it made contact.  The manual says to turn the carb completely upside down and measure.... when I do that the floats collapse the needle all the way.  Using the 45 degree mode the carb still had the floats set too high and I'm sure I was pouring to much gas in the cylinder.I reset the floats to where I thought they should be as of course I couldn't find my caliper but it is better than it was before.

Do you need to turn it upside down completely?  if so, is my needle jet spring too soft?   It compresses and is not sticking (appears to be just fine).

The best method I've found is to take a length of fuel hose and run it from the carb fuel inlet to your lips. Hold the carb upright, like it would be mounted on the bike. Now blow steady air in while slowly lifting up on the floats. The point where the air completely stops is your float height. Adjust as needed.

Another trick: instead of using calipers to measure every time, make a "L" out of heavy construction paper/light cardboard. The cutout of the "L" should be made at your desired height. Use this as your gauge 

• Like 2

Well set my float a few days ago and viola! Bike makes great power, no fouled plugs. Finally landed on stock needle set on first clip. 45 pilot 2 turns, 168 main, floats set as stock. Still getting a bit of spooge. Didn't have a chance to do a plug chop, but bike has great power and I was able to chug in 2nd or 3rd as long as I want.

• Like 4