dr350 bad CDI?...

Hey guys,

The 1999 dr350se crapped out on me while riding a week ago and I don't see anything left to try other than to test my CDI. Now in the manual they give that table of values to measure with the Suzuki Pocket Tester and they say every other multi meter is useless for this purpose. Is that true?... Do I really need to take my whole bike in to a dealership just to test the CDI? I did the tests with a multi meter anyway and about half of the tests were outside the spec range, I just want to be sure my CDI is actually toast before buying a new one based on my test.

The problem with the bike:

At first I just noticed flooding, backfiring, hard starting, shaky idle etc... She would run fine right off the clutch but as soon as I hit 4000 rpm it would bog so bad the bike would basically die on me. If I could manage to push it past about 5.5k rmp the bike becomes rideable again, but there is still a noticeable studder. 

I pulled the airbox and carb, cleaned and oiled the air filter, gave the carb and jets a full overnight soak and then put a new viton gasket in the needle seat before I put it back on the bike. I got some low end power back in first and second gear but did nothing for the bog. After messing around with the carb for days, I am somewhat confident that the problem is not in there... Jetting was fine before, diaphragm is fine (tested both visually and by blowing air in the carb and seeing the slide lift) float height is fine. I raised the needle clip one position, did not help. I also pulled the cylinder head cover and checked the timing just to be thorough, it looked fine. Ignition coil tested fine as well.  

Spark plug is BLACK, its running super rich in the mid range. If I stick a hose down the plug hole and blow air to dry up the flooding in the cylinder I get about a quarter cup of gasoline to spray out, but it only happens when I try to ride the bike not when idling or sitting. Can a misfire cause flooding like this? It would make sense right? If I am trying to run in the mid range but the plug is only firing, lets say, every fourth ignition stroke, then all kinds of fuel would be collecting in the cylinder? 

Please let me know if I am on the right track with the CDI, I am open to any and all suggestions

18 hours ago, Dr.dualsport said:

Spark plug is BLACK, its running super rich in the mid range. If I stick a hose down the plug hole and blow air to dry up the flooding in the cylinder I get about a quarter cup of gasoline to spray out, but it only happens when I try to ride the bike not when idling or sitting.

Can a misfire cause flooding like this?  no

It would make sense right? no

If I am trying to run in the mid range but the plug is only firing, lets say, every fourth ignition stroke, then all kinds of fuel would be collecting in the cylinder?  no

Please let me know if I am on the right track with the CDI, I am open to any and all suggestions

fix the fuel problem 1st, it might be the only issue.

did you replace 12 & 17?

http://www.suzukipartshouse.com/oemparts/a/suz/50d3ab22f8700220d0b72156/carburetor-model-r-s-t