Recomendations for easy trails in Taylor Park

All:

My family and I are heading to CB June 25-30 and  I am bringing my bike and me grandsons XR 50.  He's 5 and has been riding for a year or so now and actually raced his first Arena Cross in October. He's a great rider for his age with balance like a cat.  I'm taking him to Hartmans to ride to the motocross trail first, to see how he does.  If all goes well, I'd like to take him to Taylor Park to ride.  I've never ridden there but have been ice fishing there a lot.  Any recommendations on some easy, fun trails at TP?

We're celebrating my 50th birthday that week and the whole clan is going.  I graduated from WSC (WSCU now) in 1989, so I know the area well.  I try to go back every 3 or 4 years for homecoming, but I always go by myself.  Any tips would be appreciated, especially ones that tell me the trails at TP are WAY to advanced for a 5 year old.  TIA

Stuff is too advanced for a 5 year old. Higher up stuff will prolly not be melted out yet, not to mention cleared..........

Thanks 450. I was wanting to stay on the lower level of the area.  What about the CR roads?  That's what I was actually looking at on the trail maps.  I don't want to take him on a single track trail that he can't handle.  Like I said, I don't know that area for riding.  I've logged many, many hours at Hartmans on a mountain bike, but never at Taylor.

My son-in-law was wanting to fish while we were riding, so I was planning on taking a couple of short loops while he does that at Taylor Res.

I don't think there is much "trail" that an XR50 is going to have the needed grunt to get through. You could certainly take the forest service roads, North from the reservoir and Trading post but that puts you on the road with all vehicles. Not the safest plan with young ones. North on 742 to 742.8 or 742E

I'd say fourmile area, but with Cottonwood pass closed this year there's no easy route to get to BV from Crested Butte. 

• Like 1

He could probably do Texas Creek road all the way back to the bridge over the creek. Walk the bridge to the other side, then hike the trail just a little ways to a nice little lake for a break and some lunch or snack.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Trailryder42 said:

He could probably do Texas Creek road all the way back to the bridge over the creek. Walk the bridge to the other side, then hike the trail just a little ways to a nice little lake for a break and some lunch or snack.

Awesome!!  Just what I was looking for.  Is the bridge off of 742C at the beginning of the Timberline 414 trail at the Texas Lakes? I'm looking at the CBG Trails map online and Google Maps.  It looks like I can have my wife and daughter give us a 10-15 minute head start and sag in my pick-up just in case.  Then she can meet us at the lake with some food for a little picnic. 

Heck, I don't know, I'm going off of memory. Let me check. It's 755. The first road north of Cottonwood Pass road as you're heading north on the main park road of 742. Follow 755 all the way back to the footbridge.

Ok, wait, the Latitude 40 trail map for the park calls it 755. Google calls it 742C.

Copy and paste these coords to Google maps to take you right to the bridge.  38.865065, -106.459422

Edited by Trailryder42

18 hours ago, Trailryder42 said:

Heck, I don't know, I'm going off of memory. Let me check. It's 755. The first road north of Cottonwood Pass road as you're heading north on the main park road of 742. Follow 755 all the way back to the footbridge.

Ok, wait, the Latitude 40 trail map for the park calls it 755. Google calls it 742C.

Copy and paste these coords to Google maps to take you right to the bridge.  38.865065, -106.459422

That's exactly where I thought it was.  Hopefully we'll get to ride that.  If not, we'll stay at Hartmans.  Thanks for the info.

16 hours ago, obgod3 said:

Go over to Hartman rocks in Gunnison, plenty of easy and open stuff there. 

We're going to hit Hartmans first.  I just wanted some high alpine riding in an area with some trees.  Hartmans is great, but it's high desert and I always get lost when I ride there.  It's like a spider web of trails.  I always set out for a 2 hour ride (MTB) that ends up being a 4 hour death march trying to find my way back to the trail head.

On 6/16/2017 at 7:23 AM, Snotrub said:

We're going to hit Hartmans first.  I just wanted some high alpine riding in an area with some trees.  Hartmans is great, but it's high desert and I always get lost when I ride there.  It's like a spider web of trails.  I always set out for a 2 hour ride (MTB) that ends up being a 4 hour death march trying to find my way back to the trail head.

there is a map of the area, it really isnt that hard but a map will help.  Any trail in the alpine will have its level of difficulty for a small bike. It isnt impossible but there are some general challenges.  try trails like bear creek, reno ridge, rosebud. 

• Like 1

We had a great time in the Gunnison area.  My grandson and I rode the motorcycle track on the west side of Hartman's rocks and he loved it.  There were a couple of sections that went up onto the hillside that he was a little hesitant to ride, but he made it through, several times.  I took him fishing the next day at Taylor Reservoir.  That lasted about 30 minutes before he got bored, so we went riding.  We rode the dirt roads around the trading post and along side the road ways.  He had a great time.  Maybe next time he will be a bit more advanced in skills and we will be able to ride more of the terrain.

Thanks for everyone's suggestions.

• Like 2

yep as soon as I learned to ride motorcycles the fishing went out the window.  Always more fun as a kid to ride.

• Like 1

Good to hear it worked out, but wish I'd seen this earlier. There are a number of things I think he could ride in the vicinity of the Trading Post...mostly to the east of it. I suspect they are harder than Hartman Rocks, but I've never been to HR so I don't know. HR sounds like it was perfect tho!

The stuff I'm thinking of are the roads that extend off both sides of the road to Tincup. Some of them are perhaps too steep, but if you could help him up or down the steep stuff, then he'd have lotsa options. Take a look at a map and you'll see a whole network of roads between Cottonwood Rd and the road to Tincup. You can access the network from near the RV storage, or from just north of the trading post. 209.1E crosses Cow Creek and I'm sure he can't get across that, but you could ride down to it.  Perhaps you hit some of this in the 'roads around the trading post'.  The other area is south of the Tincup road...you could maybe truck the bikes up the initial hill and start from up there.

I  agree with Trailryder42 about Texas Creek road. Ride that and explore. Another road he could probably ride is up Pieplant. Maybe you hit some of them already in the road riding you mentioned.

Anyway, some options for next year if nothing else!

Edited by dmac1
  • Like 1