Difficulty replacing carb slide

I am having a tough time replacing the carb slide in the Keihin PD on my 1980 XR200. There's 2 slots in the side of the slide, one short and one long, 180 degrees apart. The long notch is where the throttle cable installs. There is a plastic guide on the opposite side of the carb from the idle screw, 180 degrees. Intuitively it looks like the short slot goes over the idle screw and the long slot goes over the plastic guide, but I just can't seem to get that to go in smoothly trying MANY times. If I force the slide in, the slide gets stuck in the bore and can't be moved by the throttle cable. The plastic guide looks to be in good shape. Throttle cable is fine.

The cutaway on the bottom of the slide always goes to the rear (intake side).  Long slot in the slide to the guide pin side of the bore to keep the slide from rotating the cutaway away from the back (intake side).  You either have a damaged slide, bore or guide pin.  You DON'T want to force the slide................if so, you probably did some damage!   Unhook the slide from the cable and carefully check it out.........:thumbsup:

Old School Al

Edited by Old School Al

Thanks. Using your info, I played with it quite a bit more. I used some grease to both lubricate the slide, and also figure out where the guide pin was aligning to and how deep in the slot it winds up. I don't think the resistance to pushing in the slide and whatever keeps it from moving has anything to do with the slide anymore, I think it has to do with the needle. It's a bike that hasn't run in years, so it could be varnish sticking the needle or something came out of place pulling out the slide in the first place. Any help appreciated.

I often encounter problems inserting the slide because the slide tends to rotate a bit as it slides down and then the slot doesn't fit over the pin. So I lift it up and try again.  As OSA explained no force.  It will drop right in when properly aligned. 

I've found the needle easily finds the needle jet if the carb is in normal operating position. If the needle doesn't fit into the needle jet the slide top will be at 1/4" above the top of the carb. When the top of the slide is flush with the top of the carb it will be on the pin, rotate the slide a bit and it will fit onto the pin and slide down. If it goes down any more the pin is in the slot. 

Thanks. That definitely agrees with what I am experiencing. I can get the slide correctly oriented with notch on guide just by gently rotating, and if the slide is flush with the top of the carb, then the notch and guide are lined up, and hardly any pressure is required to do that.

But my last point was that I can't get it further down without pushing. In other words, if I just screw the top cap back on, the spring pressure won't push the slide down, it will just remain at WOT. And by looking at the marks left in the grease, I can see that guide rides in the notch properly when I push it down and pull it back out.

On ‎6‎/‎16‎/‎2017 at 0:08 PM, leadbelly666 said:

Thanks. Using your info, I played with it quite a bit more. I used some grease to both lubricate the slide, and also figure out where the guide pin was aligning to and how deep in the slot it winds up. I don't think the resistance to pushing in the slide and whatever keeps it from moving has anything to do with the slide anymore, I think it has to do with the needle. It's a bike that hasn't run in years, so it could be varnish sticking the needle or something came out of place pulling out the slide in the first place. Any help appreciated.

If it hasn't run in years you need to start by properly cleaning the carb first............always.  Then check the slide in the bore by itself with no needle.  It should fall to the bottom with it's own weight.  Don't want to grease a slide as it only adds resistance.

Old School Al

Does that carb have the pressed in pilot jet?  I have a pd31 and it is press in.  There is not a rebuild kit specific to the older carbs, but the newer kit will have most of the parts you need. The pilot jet and the needle will be hard to find.