XR80R High Idle

New to the forum guys and I'm looking for some information on my daughters 1985 XR80R. I bought a new carb and throttle cable for this bike once installed the bike started up and ran wide open. I tried adjusting the position on the needle valve, adjusting the fuel air mix, and the idle screw none of these made any difference in the idle of the bike. I'm at a loss

Hi, hello Clay.

Make sure the throttle cable is routed correctly and free running. The throttle body must flap down to the bottom making a clicking sound.

Have a look from behind into the carb to veryfie.

You need a bit free play at the throttle grip.

Then you start setting the idle speed in correspondence with the air screw.

• Like 1

I learn early on from the school of "hard knocks" that any time you fuss with a carb slide a check must be done to make sure the slide closes before starting the bike.  Twist the throttle to about half open and let go, the throttle should close quickly and make a clunk noise when the slide closes against the idle screw. Also works any other time as a check for cable binding/kinks.

Try syncing the carbs on a early Kawasaki triple............or a early Honda 750 four with four carb cables (before linkage carbs)!   They will get you educated in a hurry...............been there done that!  Also, three and two sets of points respectively...............also very educational! 😉

Old School Al

• Like 1