Carbon build up removal method: looking for opinions

Hi, a motorcycle mechanic gave me the following advice to remove carbon build up inside the combustion chamber for a four stroke engine:

to add a small quantity of oil to the gasoline, in order to make a 1% mixture

Does it work? If so, why?

Does not work. Running the engine at speed as it was designed to do will sometimes remove some of the build up. The only way to actually remove it is to disassemble and clean.

I think it will ad more carbon to your chamber...

In a good condition 4T this carbon into combustion chamber can be a signal of wrong mixture (rich carburation) fixing it the carbon buildup tends to go away as km's pass by.

3 hours ago, Sacciochi said:

Hi, a motorcycle mechanic gave me the following advice to remove carbon build up inside the combustion chamber for a four stroke engine:

to add a small quantity of oil to the gasoline, in order to make a 1% mixture

Does it work? If so, why?

Bad advice. Wrong advice.

By the time you have a truly excessive amount of carbon build up, it is time to dismantle the top end and head and measure the wear limits and most likely replace parts anyway, and that is when you clean off the excess carbon, and evaluate why it is happening,  and make the necessary corrections. Most likely, you have a partially leaking valve guide or worn out rings creating the problem, so.....

The advice didn't sound good to me, but, I had the doubt because 2 stroke oil producers advertise their products as able to reduce/remove carbon build up.

Thank you all guys.