New exhaust

Hi guys,

I am looking to buy a slip on exhaust for my 2016 crf250l. Since I ride both on and off road I was hoping to get a recommendation on what would be a good choice to improve the sound but still be street legal as far as decibel levels go. I was looking at the FMF MODELS but most seem like there for dirt only. I'm trying to spend less than $400 too. Any advice helps. Thanks!

• Like 1

Couple things to note.  Since 1980, per federal EPA regulations, a motorcycle exhaust cannot be modified to no longer pass it's factory emissions requirements, and it must meet certain sound requirements, in NY it's 82dB at any speed measured at 50 feet.  Newer stupid emissions requirements practically require a cat converter to be emissions compliant, that converter is built into factory exhaust, and practically no aftermarket exhausts use a compliant catalytic converter, so the simple answer is just about any exhaust would be "illegal" for road use on a newer bike, and why pretty much everyone sells a veriety of "offorad use only" exhaust systems with a wink and a nod.  .Gov leaves enforcement of their stupidity up to states, and few states have emissions inspections for motorcycles, or really care so while technically not legal, there is 0 enforcement or mechanism to ensure compliance.  One day that might change, but at least for now that is the status quo, and what the billion dollar motorcycle aftermarket industry relies on.  So simple answer is replace your exhaust if you see fit, but keep your expensive factory emissions compliant exhaust around, just in case.  There is also the USFS requirement of 96dB 20" from the exhaust, and an approved spark arrestor, some exhausts are close enough to the line that worn packing might push them over, and this law is often enforced in parks.  Good thing is that 96dB is obnoxiously loud, especially onroad, so you wouldn't want something like that anyway.

I personally went with the FMF Q4 system, it's slim, light, affordable, and sounds good.  I then swapped the included insert for the FMF#040630 insert.  The insert is slightly smaller at 1 1/8"(standard Q4 is 1 3/8), and slightly increases backpressure, which noticeably boosts low-end performance without affecting top end power, it is also noticeably quieter, especially when the engine is not running under load(as in the USFS test).  It is still much louder than stock with a nice deep tone and thump, but is easy to live with.  I went with the full system, programmer, did the air filter mod, 2" airbox snorkel, and it makes a useable improvement in power.  If you just want a little more noise for less money, without any real power gains, you will probably be OK with a slip-on Q4 and the insert without a programmer, the bike is lean from the factory, and will be a little more so with any exhaust, but most don't seem to really loose power or cause issues with just a slip-on.

• Like 1

Hey just made this account to reply here

I bought a crf250L rally 2017 a while ago and wanted an exhaust with acceptable noise level and I came upon GPR exhaust slip on. I bought it but doesnt fit(which i know) and requires modification to fit it on my 2017 to link pipe.

It will fit your bike so no worries

The reason why i got the GPR is because its road legal and dont have to repack it often like the off road FMF/yoshi etc

The exhaust is e-marked meaning street legal in europe, I can sell the exhaust to you in person. I live in new york as well..in brooklyn actually

I will go on a RTW soon so now im in regret buying the slip on from italy(lol) and to return it will cost heavy postage. Either i modify it and slap it on or sell it and fund a neck brace :D

here someone on youtube with the exhaust

Can give it you brand new in box 300 usd, i can ride over to you if need be add tolls if there are any

my site brooklynadventure.com

Edited by BkADV