Jump to content

Rebuild or start new

Recommended Posts

I currently have a 2014 RMZ250 that I ride mostly trails and the occasional track session with. I believe I'm at the point there i need to change out quite a few amount of parts, bushings, bearings, clutch, brakes, top end soon, etc. A dealer by my house has the new 2017 on sale for 5900 (also they have the 2016 450 for the same price). I was wondering some of your inputs whether its worth it to spend a little extra more to get the 2017 or put the money into my 2014. I'm not too familiar with the air forks, so that is one of the things I'm hesitant about. Any input would be appreciated. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
I currently have a 2014 RMZ250 that I ride mostly trails and the occasional track session with. I believe I'm at the point there i need to change out quite a few amount of parts, bushings, bearings, clutch, brakes, top end soon, etc. A dealer by my house has the new 2017 on sale for 5900 (also they have the 2016 450 for the same price). I was wondering some of your inputs whether its worth it to spend a little extra more to get the 2017 or put the money into my 2014. I'm not too familiar with the air forks, so that is one of the things I'm hesitant about. Any input would be appreciated. 

 

It's all a matter of personal opinion, but if it were me I would just rebuild. I have a 17 year old Kawi that has been nothing but amazing to me. I've considered buying a brand new one or rebuilding as well and I've settled on rebuilding. My bike will be far more to rebuild and modernize, but that's what's fun for me. It all depends on what you're looking for in a bike. Other people might sway you to buying new, but I'd rebuild. It's far more rewarding and plus you build a connection to your machine.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Amd241997 said:

 

It's all a matter of personal opinion, but if it were me I would just rebuild. I have a 17 year old Kawi that has been nothing but amazing to me. I've considered buying a brand new one or rebuilding as well and I've settled on rebuilding. My bike will be far more to rebuild and modernize, but that's what's fun for me. It all depends on what you're looking for in a bike. Other people might sway you to buying new, but I'd rebuild. It's far more rewarding and plus you build a connection to your machine.

I was leaning more towards the rebuild also. This way I can put better parts on than stock, for example hinson clutch, over sized brakes, maybe have my suspension set up for my size, and so on. I think they changed a lot of internal engine components between 14 and 17, so i wasn't sure if that was worth the upgrade. Thank you for your input!

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
I was leaning more towards the rebuild also. This way I can put better parts on than stock, for example hinson clutch, over sized brakes, maybe have my suspension set up for my size, and so on. I think they changed a lot of internal engine components between 14 and 17, so i wasn't sure if that was worth the upgrade. Thank you for your input!


Ya the stock bikes only come with so much. Engine components may be better, and they always will be whether you buy a new bike or upgrade it, but with the money you plan on spending for a new bike you could just put in your current bike, and splurge for the exact parts you want. Being able to personalize and tailor a bike to how you want is worth more than spending money on a fresh new bike with less than what you want.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
I currently have a 2014 RMZ250 that I ride mostly trails and the occasional track session with. I believe I'm at the point there i need to change out quite a few amount of parts, bushings, bearings, clutch, brakes, top end soon, etc. A dealer by my house has the new 2017 on sale for 5900 (also they have the 2016 450 for the same price). I was wondering some of your inputs whether its worth it to spend a little extra more to get the 2017 or put the money into my 2014. I'm not too familiar with the air forks, so that is one of the things I'm hesitant about. Any input would be appreciated. 

I was in the same situation.. I decided to go all out and rebuild my 2013. I have a thread on it. The build is still in progress. Think about this, you can spend that 5600$ and get a new stock bike. Or you can pocket 1500$ and then use the rest to rebuild and modify your 2014. With that kind of coin, you can do soooooooo much. One off buddy. Make it your own. Besides those air forks are sh!+
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, slowgs2001 said:


I was in the same situation.. I decided to go all out and rebuild my 2013. I have a thread on it. The build is still in progress. Think about this, you can spend that 5600$ and get a new stock bike. Or you can pocket 1500$ and then use the rest to rebuild and modify your 2014. With that kind of coin, you can do soooooooo much. One off buddy. Make it your own. Besides those air forks are sh!+

Wow, I just went through your build and you went all out. That bike is going to be sick when it's done. What work did you get done to the motor when you sent it in? 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Through the years I've had work done to it. It didn't happen over night. But currently it's been ported, factory pro detent spring and arm, Carrillo Rod, transmission is ISF treated, high comp piston, dlc coated buckets, Ti valves and springs, Moto lab remap, yoshi exhaust, and Injectioneering TB mod

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, slowgs2001 said:

Through the years I've had work done to it. It didn't happen over night. But currently it's been ported, factory pro detent spring and arm, Carrillo Rod, transmission is ISF treated, high comp piston, dlc coated buckets, Ti valves and springs, Moto lab remap, yoshi exhaust, and Injectioneering TB mod

Awesome. I see you have the Hinson clutch cover. Did you replace stock with the Hinson? If so did you do just plates and springs or the whole basket? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Reply with:


×