Sign in to follow this  

YZ450 trail use

So I just bought a '16 450F as I've been riding a lot more track lately but will still need to use this for occasional trail rides. I'm just wondering how many folks use these as trails bikes and what you've done to make it more compliant?

I am likely going to get a Rekluse to prevent the stalling which I know these are prone to struggle with and some hand guards/skid plate and tubliss to prevent flats or at least make them easier to deal with.

I'm also looking at getting the power tuner, can that be used to dial back the power and soften it for trail use, don't need all this explosive power on the trails..

I went up 2 teeth on my rear sprocket, added a plastic skid plate(less weight and slides across rocks better), bark busters and a steering dampener.

I do a lot of trail riding so I added an almost 3 gallon tank too.

Don't forget the spark arrestor too.

As for the tubliss I haven't made that upgrade yet but, knock on wood, haven't had any issues.

Tubliss one of the first things I'm doing... I hate flats, rarely get them but when it happen man does it suck...

And yes I'll have to get an S/A silencer......

Just picked up a used 07 450 and will be using it for trails 99.9% of the time, going to keep an eye on this thread to help make it more manageable in the mountains. 👍

What part of Colorado r u in

Not sure if that question was for me or not, but I'm in Erie

Sorry Marty but yes it was

Buddies and I ride Rampart Range early am most Fridays thru Monday's depending upon availability.

U r welcome to join us

• Like 1

I also have a '16 450F that I use mainly for trail riding. Either a flywheel weight and a couple teeth on the back sprocket,

or a recluse is " almost needed" for trail duty. I say almost because I'm just getting back into the sport from a 30 some year layoff,

and my skills are long gone. So for my current skill level, or anyone in my boat, I'd say they're necessary.

Tubliss one of the first things I'm doing... I hate flats, rarely get them but when it happen man does it suck...
And yes I'll have to get an S/A silencer......

This tubliss thing is interesting. I find they get punctures but the benefit of repairing the flat on the trail..... I found if I replace the stock tube with the Bridgestone Heavy Duty tubes, I can run them between 8 and 10. I haven't had a flat yet, knock on wood.

6 minutes ago, RMK800 said:

This tubliss thing is interesting. I find they get punctures but the benefit of repairing the flat on the trail..... I found if I replace the stock tube with the Bridgestone Heavy Duty tubes, I can run them between 8 and 10. I haven't had a flat yet, knock on wood.

8-10 is as hard as a rock. We run Tubliss with slime at 1-3 psi. 

• Like 1

I race mx but ride trails also with my 16 yz450f. I don't change anything about it. Use the gytr map for linear torque. Slight retarding of timing and richer fuel. Love that setting everywhere.

Hondaman what settings are you using ? I have.l a 16 450yzf. I have bark busters, upgraded foot pegs, hand grips, gripper seat, unbreakable renthal intellilever clutch and front break(bought before the bark busters) and am gonna get a bigger sprocket and maybe the fly wheel as well.

i ride 90 percent trails so next thing I'm doing is getting my suspension done, and then the sprocket and if I'm still stalling more then I like the heavy fly wheel. I need a skid plate but just a plastic one as I don't plan to slide my bike over boulders and what not. Bike is a beast, I may try the dampener as well and a recluse is come to mind but I'm gonna try the fly wheel and sprocket first myself.

honestly it's up to you, best thing I can recommend is bark busters, some footpegs with a bit more bite, and suspension set up for yourself. This bike has a good stock pipe, seat isn't bad but a gripper is amazing for when it's slippery out. 

hi,

I am a begginer and my cooment might not be usefull for you . for this type of riding u need a better ECU mapping . 

go and take a look at this link : 

On 6/16/2017 at 6:41 PM, stevethe said:

8-10 is as hard as a rock. We run Tubliss with slime at 1-3 psi. 

How does that not beat the crap out of the rim? I have dents in my rim running 13-15 PSI with ultra heavy duty tubes...

I personally find running 7-8lbs with the Tubliss to be extremely more comfortable and I've not experienced RIM damage but this is the first time running one on a 19" RIM. I also just ordered a Rekluse for my 450 so my bike should be excellent off road now.

IMG_0533.thumb.JPG.cba5279f131ace2272ce77f1c2f961e3.JPG

2006 yz450f, this my primary woods machine. All you need to do to ride one of these bikes in the tight stuff is go up one tooth on the rear sprocket, increase fuel capacity (wr tank in my case) and get in shape lol

• Like 3