Looking to get back into the game

Hey guys, it's been a while. I used to ride and occasionally race many years ago and have recently gotten the itch. I'm dead set on an XR400 for the simplicity, reliability, and ease of maintenance. Bonus points for street tag.

Anyhow, I was wondering if I could get you guys to check out this one I found locally to see if it is legit or if there's some glaring problem I'm overlooking. For what it's worth, this is the only XR400 within about 700 miles. There is a supermoto'd one out of state, but it's valuable to be able to check it out and see it run locally.

https://northmiss.craigslist.org/mcy/6165487262.html

Here is the listing ^^. He is asking an absurd amount IMO, and I was able to talk him down to $2,300. I will try to bring that down to $2,000 cash-in-hand if at all possible, but I'm mostly okay with it if I can't. I went and checked it out yesterday, and the guys seems to have taken decent care of it. The oil was full and very light colored, not many miles on it. Fork seals replaced a couple of weeks ago. Started first kick multiple times warm. No smoke, no hiccups, seems to shift through all gears without any problems. Clutch seems to work as intended. It has the stock carb, so it does have the little hesitation whacking the throttle from idle. No visible oil leaks, all the lights and blinkers work and are bright (street plated). There are some rusty (or possibly dirt-caked) nuts and bolts down near the swingarm, and it does seem that the swingarm pivot bolt is a bit rusty so that will probably be something I have to deal with eventually. Chain has a bit of rust on it but isn't too tight or too loose.

I'm planning to go and ride it when I have cash in hand, probably tomorrow, and if there are no hitches I want to buy it. Let me know what you guys think about it.

Thanks in advance!

43 minutes ago, cjjeepercreeper said:

My son paid $2k for a very clean stock 2000 400 2 years ago.  That is way too much money.

What do you think would be a fair price for this particular bike?

I have four XR400 and the most I paid was $1500,  the least was $700. One thing to think about is that the 1998 still has the smaller kick start shaft that is subject to breaking, rear tire is needing replacement.

This is my 2000 that I picked up last fall for $1500 Titled, road plated.

IMG_20161023_102826685.jpg.a61d26c3e59853058f5d6558bbe16952.jpg

Edited by Tryingoutdirt
  • Like 2

Wow, that is an absolute steal, especially by comparison. I guess I should pump the brakes and keep waiting for a better deal. The only reason I'm even considering this one is these things are very hard to come by in Mississippi, and they're usually in terrible shape / maintained by bubbas. Hopefully a better deal will come around before too long. Thanks for your help!

patience is a virtue, bide your time and look around at neighboring states, a bit of traveling isn't a bad thing to get a good deal. Best of luck in your search.

True. It's good that I'm a bit older now; I used to jump on the first thing that I could find and have been burned a few times by that. I'm definitely looking in neighboring states -- Nashville, Memphis, Chattanooga, etc. but nothing yet. I'll just have to keep my eye on it.

I told the guy I was going to have to pass, and he sort of indirectly hinted that he may be willing to go lower if he can't sell it. If he counters for something like $1,500, I may consider it, but thinking about it now, it seems like I should wait since I'm pretty sure it will, in fact, have the seized swingarm pivot bolt issue.

Thanks again!

Must be regional- there are people up here in the Pacific NW listing them for $2,000-4,000! And I agree to stay away from any pre-2000 because of the kickstart shaft. I have a 98 that's a rebuild project because it broke

The swing arm can sure be an issue but it is easy to check, if you can turn the bolt (17 MM socket) after you loosen the nut (22 MM socket, wrench won't fit has to be sockets) then it is more then likely not stuck, if you can't turn the bolt after you loosen the nut then it is stuck. 1500 would be a better price.

• Like 1

I paid $2900 for this 02' a couple weeks ago, It's pretty much a virgin, I would do it again. Here in Cali plated is a big deal, lots of xtras came with

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, DPete said:

I paid $2900 for this 02' a couple weeks ago, It's pretty much a virgin, I would do it again. Here in Cali plated is a big deal, lots of xtras came with

Willing to ship it? :smirk:

My point is, I'm willing to pay above average price for an above average MC. They are out there. No can ship Hersh, it's a keeper

Right, as it stands the guy wants above average price for an average or slightly below average bike. The search continues.

Remember if your really wanting a street legal xr then that is worth something. Some of the conversions cost around $400 plus the hassle of getting it legal and plated. I'm not sure how hard it is to do in your state but that is worth something if you want a street legal XR.  I'd probably be willing to pay an extra $500 for that if I found one street legal. I don't see any rear turn signals on this one in the pictures (I went back and looked again, I do see the turnsignals now right next to the plate.  Also if those are the turnsignals on the hand guards that's pretty sweet set up. I've never seen front turn signals like that on a conversion)but I'd be more than willing to pay extra$500 for a complete street legal xr400 with all the lights.  Also the battery and if he has the stator already re-wound to power all the lights?

I have a 1997 and haven't had any trouble with my kick starter but that would suck if it did break off unexpectly. I always use my decompressor lever and don't usually kick mine that hard so I doubt I'll break mine off but I guess you never know. Knowing me I'd probably just push it down a hill to start it if it did break off. Lol. I did that on a old cb100 back when it broke years ago. We would just push it and then jump on and pop the clutch. Probably be a little harder on a xr400

Edited by Toadster25

I broke one on my 96, out in the woods , when they break the shaft comes out of the case and oil will leak out when it is running, I had to widdle a stick down to plug the hole but was able to bump start and ride it home about 20 miles, you do what you have to do sometimes, I was able to find a new shaft at the local dealer, got lucky I later found out they are as rare as hen's teeth 

I will pay extra for a bike with paperwork. There are far too many bikes out there that are hotter than a $2 pistol. It is worth me paying extra to get a certificate of origin or title with the bike that way there is not any question.

I'm keeping him in mind, as it is certainly a cool bike and very convenient that he has already made it street legal. He claims he is waiting on the title (only got the bike 4-5 months ago), and he has registration so I believe him. I would have to wait for him to have the title in hand before buying, because I don't want to have to rely on a stranger to send me the title if/when it comes in.

The main thing that is making me hesitate is that there are several DRZ400s in the area for cheaper and in arguably better shape. I've been leaning more in that direction lately just because they seem to come up more often and at better prices.

I didn't know the kick start would break off inside the case.  That would be bad if you can't even drive home.  Good idea to plug the hole with a stick. How hard is it to replace the shaft?  

Those drz400 do look nice and seem to be a lot more modern bike with the water cooling but that is part of what is nice about the XR400, No coolant, water pump, hoses and radiators to worry about but these xrs are getting old. Mine is 20 years old now but I'll admit the newer bikes don't even tempt me into wanting something new.  Maybe if I actually had a chance to ride on a new crf450x I'd change my mind but I just don't see how it could be that much more fun than my old xr for my type of riding.  

Edited by Toadster25