clutch drive disc measuring

Do you measure thickness with both friction pads on each side off disc ? reason i'm asking is that friction pads  are not opposite each other , but it's duable . I have clutch slippage in high gear , do i realy need to measure or just get new kit ( drive disc , driven disc and springs ) . Thanks 

Do you measure thickness with both friction pads on each side off disc ? reason i'm asking is that friction pads  are not opposite each other , but it's duable . I have clutch slippage in high gear , do i realy need to measure or just get new kit ( drive disc , driven disc and springs ) . Thanks 

Yes, total thickness
  • Like 1

I've never once known them be undersize, even with old badly slipping clutches.

I spent years putting in heavy duty springs and extra steel or friction plates to cure clutch slip on various bikes because the friction plates always measured in spec, so I assumed they weren't the problem.

I then learnt a few years ago that clutch slippage is usually due to burnt oil deposits on the cork pads on the friction plates, from the natural action of slipping the clutch when pulling of/changing gear etc

This alters (lowers) the friction properties of the friction plates and hence they slip

New friction plates is the cure, and this has worked every time for me since.

So, don't be surprised if they measure in spec

The steel plates don't really wear out, they just 'dish' if they over heat from too much clutch slip

Dished steel plates cause clutch drag & clutch slip at the same time no  matter how the lever is adjusted. If they are dished they must be replaced as well.

20 minutes ago, GuyGraham said:

I've never once known them be undersize, even with old badly slipping clutches.

I spent years putting in heavy duty springs and extra steel or friction plates to cure clutch slip on various bikes because the friction plates always measured in spec, so I assumed they weren't the problem.

I then learnt a few years ago that clutch slippage is usually due to burnt oil deposits on the cork pads on the friction plates, from the natural action of slipping the clutch when pulling of/changing gear etc

This alters (lowers) the friction properties of the friction plates and hence they slip

New friction plates is the cure, and this has worked every time for me since.

So, don't be surprised if they measure in spec

The steel plates don't really wear out, they just 'dish' if they over heat from too much clutch slip

Dished steel plates cause clutch drag & clutch slip at the same time no  matter how the lever is adjusted. If they are dished they must be replaced as well.

Yeah I do a lot off clutch slipping in my trail riding  Last time I checked the steel plates they where burnt color ,  my guess is they are done . I was hopping to just measer clean and try again but have little hope , thanks for tip 

'Blueing' of the steel plates isn't an issue as long as they are still flat.

Lay them on a flat surface eg a piece of glass, and you will instantly see if they have distorted - if they are there will be a gap under the outer or inner edge depending upon which way up you have placed them.

• Like 1

On 15/06/2017 at 0:49 PM, GuyGraham said:

'Blueing' of the steel plates isn't an issue as long as they are still flat.

Lay them on a flat surface eg a piece of glass, and you will instantly see if they have distorted - if they are there will be a gap under the outer or inner edge depending upon which way up you have placed them.

Fast report : it's all in spec , 30k km , cleaned everything really good and instaled , it's all good .